Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '18: Universal Monsters

i can't see the posts due to my school filter. what are they?

In order:

-A machine in Frankenstein's lab. Also can see one of the German Expressionist windows (they all look awesome, like all the photos are sepia tinted)
-A dinner table where everyone's been eaten. There's a red dragon symbol in the background. Again, all sepia tinted.
-The Mummy's sarcophagus.

I don't know. Seems like mixed tones.
Advertising looks dark and foreboding. So does the castle and facade name.
Merch looks retro poppy and like a throwback.
The insides also look a bit dark and grim.
The music sounds electro-gothic.
I'm hoping this lands well...

Some fun details from this maze that are easily missed...

• The film posters in the "Vault" scene are not any genuine poster from their respective film franchise; instead, they're "modified" to include the maze's design of the monster. Look closely: Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolfman also feature the new, "updated" look integrated into the original poster. The exception is Invisible Man, whose design did not change; his poster is also the least obvious and almost impossible to notice, located behind you as you enter the room.
  • Also in the vault are a number of film reels. It's typically too dark (and the guest path too far away) to notice what's written on them, but there are a number of deep cut monster references located here. They include 1935's The Raven, The Cat and the Canary, the Werewolf of London (the first actual "Wolfman" film), and Son of Frankenstein. One is cheekily named "Archeological Digs," referencing The Mummy.
  • Someone pointed this out in another thread, but a key prop from the old Mummy maze returns here: the large "scorpion medallion" on your right in the Artifacts Room is actually the old wait time sign.
  • Most people are drawn to the lit "Dracul" tomb in that first outdoor portion, but there's also a "Talbot" grave on the right as you first enter. There's one more with discernible writing on it between them, but I haven't been able to make it out.
  • No amusing easter eggs in the cabinets of the artifact room, sadly - just a mix of Egyptian knick knacks and more Amazonian materials (hinting at the Creature's once-planned involvement).

Some fun details from this maze that are easily missed...

• The film posters in the "Vault" scene are not any genuine poster from their respective film franchise; instead, they're "modified" to include the maze's design of the monster. Look closely: Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolfman also feature the new, "updated" look integrated into the original poster. The exception is Invisible Man, whose design did not change; his poster is also the least obvious and almost impossible to notice, located behind you as you enter the room.
  • Also in the vault are a number of film reels. It's typically too dark (and the guest path too far away) to notice what's written on them, but there are a number of deep cut monster references located here. They include 1935's The Raven, The Cat and the Canary, the Werewolf of London (the first actual "Wolfman" film), and Son of Frankenstein. One is cheekily named "Archeological Digs," referencing The Mummy.
  • Someone pointed this out in another thread, but a key prop from the old Mummy maze returns here: the large "scorpion medallion" on your right in the Artifacts Room is actually the old wait time sign.
  • Most people are drawn to the lit "Dracul" tomb in that first outdoor portion, but there's also a "Talbot" grave on the right as you first enter. There's one more with discernible writing on it between them, but I haven't been able to make it out.
  • No amusing easter eggs in the cabinets of the artifact room, sadly - just a mix of Egyptian knick knacks and more Amazonian materials (hinting at the Creature's once-planned involvement).

I really love all these easter eggs in the maze :) Always fun to look for when going through :D

I really love all these easter eggs in the maze :) Always fun to look for when going through :D

Glad you're enjoying! Many people also miss the gorgeous mounted violins on your left as you enter the Phantom Lair.

Some fun notes on the Masquerade zone, as well -- lighting is often elaborate but makes costuming details hard to decipher, especially when actors are in motion. Hunchback and Masquerade Phantom stand out the most, but almost all of the monsters have a presence... Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster appear as themselves with masquerade masks. The Mummy is represented by a ferocious Egyptian cat. There is only one Wolfman (i.e. only part of one cast), while the other cast has a Wolfwoman instead. Two Vampire Brides round out each cast.

A little off topic but a video showing the filming locations in So cal of the original Mummy. I’ve been to Red Rock Cyn state park many times but never knew the Mummy was filmed there