Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '19: Us

It sucks that the designs for the characters in this movie actually are scary, but they're not even used for horror elements throughout the film. That's what really has me curious. I'm hoping the rabbit scene has cages disguised as boo holes

It sucks that the designs for the characters in this movie actually are scary, but they're not even used for horror elements throughout the film. That's what really has me curious. I'm hoping the rabbit scene has cages disguised as boo holes

I'm picturing the entire cage wall concealing a hidden boo door made up of cages. (Think those pantry walls that split open in butcher shop mazes.) Totally not anything that happens in the movie, but scary AF...

Murdy always circles back to talk about mazes. He's in a different hemisphere - give him a minute.

Q&A Info:
- Murdy worked personally with Jordan Peele on the maze
- "You can do that kind of thing in something with very low capacity (which of course a maze at HHN isn’t) but yes you will experience the film recreated as a live experience and of course the Tethered play a huge role." in response to "So the hall of mirrors right? We have to have one. And obviously the main characters and their tethered will be present. But will there be a way to show the viewer/mazers tethered to make it more subjective and unsettling?"
- "It will be featured as part of the audio design" in response to "I got 5 on it" being in the maze
- "Yeah, me too! : )" in response to "HOPE ITS GOOD"
- "Well we have the ones from the film to work with to base our molds on" in response to working on the Scissors.
- "There is definitely an Easter egg related to that" in response to seeing the Hands Across America Commercial in the maze
- "No I was referencing this one but I’m excited for the other two we haven’t announced yet" in response to "You said in a previous Q&A that there is a maze you’ve been the most excited for that hasn’t been announced. That was said before this announcement, is this the maze? Or has it still not been announced?"
- We will hear all the Score Music from the film.
- "One of my favorite scenes!" in response to "Will we go to the Neighbors House and see what happens there?"
- "We’re doing the scene and that’s all I’ll say right now...with performers" in response to "How are you gonna do the final fight scene, and will we see the family and there Tethered selves in the same room (like actors, not just mannequins)?"
- "Definitely have something to pay homage to that...but keeping it secret" in if they will incorporate Hands Across America into the maze
- "It’s pretty true to the film with a little twist" in response to "for the performers are you going to stick to the red jumpsuits/scissors and plain faces or are you thinking about add little things of your own"
- There will be Merchandise for Us
- The Maze starts in the Funhouse
- "Yes it’s a 50/50 mirror. We’ve used that illusion quite a bit in the past"
- "We have a lot of bunnies. Not real ones of course."

Last edited:
DP but i just wanna bring up that murdy didnt answer my question if there's gonna be a ton of black walls in the maze.

He's also apparently disconfirmed Pluto's death and the lakes, which...fine, makes sense I guess.

wrt Black Walls, answering either yes or giving a sarcastic non-answer would look bad, and saying no is basically an admission of fault that allows a bunch of people to follow up with "are the other mazes gonna have black walls" or "why were there so many black walls in ____ year" which would also look bad, so I'd take the radio silence with a grain of salt.

He's also apparently disconfirmed Pluto's death and the lakes, which...fine, makes sense I guess.
The lake i understand, but plutos death would've been easy to do. Just reuse a First Purge street set, have a Pluto dummy, add some fire effects, and have a Red scare from behind a dumpster. Though i'll understand if it was for spacing issues.

The lake i understand, but plutos death would've been easy to do. Just reuse a First Purge street set, have a Pluto dummy, add some fire effects, and have a Red scare from behind a dumpster. Though i'll understand if it was for spacing issues.

It's weird too, cuz they've had fire effects in the past, especially the Walking Dead attraction and Trick R Treat. Best guess is spacing, as you said, there's no way of keeping the car far away enough so that you can't tell it's just silk ribbons / fog and lighting, or lighting issues (the scene took place in daytime).

Other guess is that we'll only see the burnt corpse, not the actual "death," though this seems unlikely.

On a side note, I think I've figured out how they might do the 50/50 mirror gag.

Do it like the Invisible Man from last year, where there's a guy with a black hood/morphsuit wearing a jumpsuit. If you light it only partly, then you'll still be able to see the reflection of your face over the jumpsuit's neckhole. Then have the guy open the mirror and jump out. Perfection. One final scare.

On a side note, I think I've figured out how they might do the 50/50 mirror gag.

Do it like the Invisible Man from last year, where there's a guy with a black hood/morphsuit wearing a jumpsuit. If you light it only partly, then you'll still be able to see the reflection of your face over the jumpsuit's neckhole. Then have the guy open the mirror and jump out. Perfection. One final scare.
That would require some pretty perfect lining up to make work, but could theoretically be neat

It's weird too, cuz they've had fire effects in the past, especially the Walking Dead attraction and Trick R Treat. Best guess is spacing, as you said, there's no way of keeping the car far away enough so that you can't tell it's just silk ribbons / fog and lighting, or lighting issues (the scene took place in daytime).

I mean, isn't TWDA's more "Advanced" in the means that they achieved the fake-fire effect, as compared to Trick R Treat's? If I recall, TWDA uses Faux-fire, similar to what you see from the final big scene of Revenge of The Mummy at Orlando and Singapore.

That said, Murdy working with Peele directly, does make more hope come in; as it'll ensure an area of quality for the maze.

That would require some pretty perfect lining up to make work, but could theoretically be neat

Presumably, the actor could activate the light him/herself with a button (in their scissors, perhaps?) and that way they get time to line up with the people walking by by crouching down or tip-toeing or whatever. Though I'm guessing that they'd get tired of doing that and just attack people from behind a mirror and that'd be pretty scary too.

I mean, isn't TWDA's more "Advanced" in the means that they achieved the fake-fire effect, as compared to Trick R Treat's? If I recall, TWDA uses Faux-fire, similar to what you see from the final big scene of Revenge of The Mummy at Orlando and Singapore.

That said, Murdy working with Peele directly, does make more hope come in; as it'll ensure an area of quality for the maze.

I have no clue what the logistics are behind the faux fire they used in Walking Dead, so I won't assume it'll come to Horror Nights.

Instead, I'll note they've done burning cars before in The Purge tram with just twinkling lights and fog. I think the big concern with that system is that fog under a tent gets trapped, and there's no way of airing it out.

That sounds like it would be exhausting to make work. It would wreak havoc on the actor's ankles and knees. You'd have to constantly squat and tiptoe unless some sort of more advanced technology or illusions are involved. Maybe they will just have the face mask and the person only attack people of a similar body type?

A mirror effect on an actor will look bad. I mean, say the persons small and the actors tall, they have to knell down to make the effect work. Same for the opposite, the actor has to go on there toes for it to work. And say the guest is white, but the actor has black hands. There's so many flaws.

A mirror effect on an actor will look bad. I mean, say the persons small and the actors tall, they have to knell down to make the effect work. Same for the opposite, the actor has to go on there toes for it to work. And say the guest is white, but the actor has black hands. There's so many flaws.
Thier tethered will probably wear the gloves and they'd probably do a long sleeve jump suit.

That sounds like it would be exhausting to make work. It would wreak havoc on the actor's ankles and knees. You'd have to constantly squat and tiptoe unless some sort of more advanced technology or illusions are involved. Maybe they will just have the face mask and the person only attack people of a similar body type?

Probably. I was trying to be glib. More than likely they'll just give up the gimmick after a while and just attack people straight up, which would be plenty scary so whatever.

Obviously it'll look bad if you had more than a second to look at it, but if they're jumping out, it probably don't matter. They could also try mirror masks for the artistic frisson.