Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 28: Dead Exposure: Patient Zero

House spoilers - because people are asking...

But how in depth will I go?
That is the question.
Do I keep it general?
Like Treatment - Underground - City?
Or scene names and descriptions?
I think, sure.
“Anyone who leaves the line will be placed in immediate quarantine for the duration of the outbreak.”
Outbreak - You’re at the treatment facility to get your cure.
Monkey Lab - Buy my merch
Metro Car - Get out however you can.
Platform - Is that the zombie cart?
Le Shaft - Getting darker...
Catacombs - Is the doctor in? I hope so.
Crypt - Is this the cure, or is it the disease?
Alleyway - Maybe the streets are safer.
Cafe/Finale - Wait... there’s no landmarks?

House spoilers - because people are asking...

But how in depth will I go?
That is the question.
Do I keep it general?
Like Treatment - Underground - City?
Or scene names and descriptions?
I think, sure.
“Anyone who leaves the line will be placed in immediate quarantine for the duration of the outbreak.”
Outbreak - You’re at the treatment facility to get your cure.
Monkey Lab - Buy my merch
Metro Car - Get out however you can.
Platform - Is that the zombie cart?
Le Shaft - Getting darker...
Catacombs - Is the doctor in? I hope so.
Crypt - Is this the cure, or is it the disease?
Alleyway - Maybe the streets are safer.
Cafe/Finale - Wait... there’s no landmarks?
I’m very excited for the catacombs section.
I assume there are not just zombies in the house then? There will be humans(pre zombie) and a monkey?

I don't want to know whether I'm right, but I'm guessing the alley will be a swarm/statue scene (because DE without the statue room is like BC without the spine rip).

The facade for this house isn’t as “big” as I was expecting it. It’s just the quarantine area, with the sidewalk up lined by barbed wire fencing, leading up to what looks like a lab. It’s really just a big grey building.

So far I haven’t heard the most favorable things about this. I wasn’t as big a fan of the first one as most, but I’m curious, given that it was such a fan favorite.

So far I haven’t heard the most favorable things about this. I wasn’t as big a fan of the first one as most, but I’m curious, given that it was such a fan favorite.

Asked about this on Twitter, heard first half better than second. Also general sentiment seems to be all the originals are solid, you need to be great to stand out.

Asked about this on Twitter, heard first half better than second. Also general sentiment seems to be all the originals are solid, you need to be great to stand out.

Yeah who knows at this point. Hoping at least one of the originals is a consensus standout. Seems Poltergeist "won" EP (which is like an NFL team being undefeated in the preseason, of course).

EDIT: Still not getting very good reviews on Twitter, but everything that's being said (too dark, same scare tactic throughout, feels cheap) applied to the first one. Weird.

Last edited:
Yeah who knows at this point. Hoping at least one of the originals is a consensus standout. Seems Poltergeist "won" EP (which is like an NFL team being undefeated in the preseason, of course).

EDIT: Still not getting very good reviews on Twitter, but everything that's being said (too dark, same scare tactic throughout, feels cheap) applied to the first one. Weird.
The people that are saying it’s too dark are the ones who come through when it’s still light outside. You don’t have enough time to let your eyes adjust and you can’t see. Also, people are saying that the scareactors in the house are touching them, when they are not. So if you see anyone complaining that someone in Dead exposure touched them, it’s false. Most likely they walked into them, because they have been doing that a lot recently.

The people that are saying it’s too dark are the ones who come through when it’s still light outside. You don’t have enough time to let your eyes adjust and you can’t see.

That was probably my issue - first house we hit after AP early admission let loose. It was otherwise fine, just dark.

This house is better than the original in every way,
This house its like one of those times when a sequel of a movie is bigger and louder than the first.
The sets are much more detailed than the original house, i feel like theres more going on in this house, more props and more to the sets. ( well, as much as a glow in the dark house can allow...)
I felt like this house had so much more going for it than the original.

The scares also feel more intense than the original, it isnt just the actors, but this house felt like it had better placed scares than the original. More "in your face".

Mind you if you hated the original or if u hate glow in the dark or 3D houses then you might hate this just in general terms. ( this house almost feels like a 3D house.

Overall i think it was a great zombie house, and a great glow in the dark house. ( it obviously is limited by the lack of real sets due to everything being painted in that glow paint) but There were a couple of rooms that use forced perspective that was really cool.

Mind you if you hated the original or if u hate glow in the dark or 3D houses then you might hate this just in general terms. ( this house almost feels like a 3D house.

This is about all I can agree with you on in your post--original is a probably top 10 house for me. I "got" the minimalist 2-D sets and glow paint in the original--we were walking through a stylized newspaper. Here. what's the creative justification? It just comes off as cheap, something a local haunt (or a national haunt stretching an 8-house budget to make 10 houses) does to save cash. Still a scary house--most frightening I've seen so far, arguably the only one--but I've have preferred it didn't try to live up to the legendary reputation of the original.

I think we've come to expect from Uni a bit too much. This year's mazes are stellar and if places in other years would have been in top contention. Not saying they should be better, but being realistic here.

This is about all I can agree with you on in your post--original is a probably top 10 house for me. I "got" the minimalist 2-D sets and glow paint in the original--we were walking through a stylized newspaper. Here. what's the creative justification? It just comes off as cheap, something a local haunt (or a national haunt stretching an 8-house budget to make 10 houses) does to save cash. Still a scary house--most frightening I've seen so far, arguably the only one--but I've have preferred it didn't try to live up to the legendary reputation of the original.

The original house was also just 2D sets painted in glow in the dark paint.
The sets of the original were not that elaborate, I think what made people love the original was how dark it was and how disorienting and how new it felt

But after almost a decade of 3D houses that use this kind of style this house feels kind of cheap, I can see how it feels cheap. The same thing happened with that Universal Monsters house we had years ago where everything was painted glow in the dark and had that cheap feeling to it,

But comparing this one to the original, they definitely did a lot more. the sets of the original were kind of bare. and some rooms were kind of empty if i remember it, it didn't have as many scares as this one

Here. what's the creative justification?.

It's simulating our blindness to the cure.

The same thing happened with that Universal Monsters house we had years ago where everything was painted glow in the dark and had that cheap feeling to it,

That, at least, has an excuse. It was a last minute addition.

I'm not sure what y'all are talking about, I love this house. It's by far the most intense, has really creative scares and a great art style. It's very disorienting and terrifying because of that. The sets are also really beautiful if you manage to get your brain together, I recall seeing a house facade in the middle of the house and it looked very genuine. This is one of my contenders for HotY, along with 6 other houses. :lol:

I'm not sure what y'all are talking about, I love this house. It's by far the most intense, has really creative scares and a great art style. It's very disorienting and terrifying because of that. The sets are also really beautiful if you manage to get your brain together, I recall seeing a house facade in the middle of the house and it looked very genuine. This is one of my contenders for HotY, along with 6 other houses. :lol:

sounds like people expected full detailed sets, not stuff painted with glow in th dark paint. (At least from what i saw on social media) people went in expecting a house that looked like a regular HHN house like scary tales or something like that with full props but instead some people got put off by the lack of real sets.