HHN 28: Poltergeist | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 28: Poltergeist

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I saw the movie recently, I didn't really find it scary. The face peeling part was the scariest scene imo. I hope this translates into a spooky house with good scares.

Reactions: SeventyOne
A thought I had about an effect we'll see in two houses this year:

Hands/body parts being pushed into a stretchy scrim with light behind them.

I'm thinking it'll be used in Poltergeist simulating the hands reaching for Carol Anne through the TV, and in Stranger Things for the Demogorgon in the wall of the Beyer's home.

Reactions: HalloweenStar
So, confession time. This is the movie I saw WAY to young (thanks Mom) that turned me off of horror until my I was 23. Like, I hated anything scary! I had always wanted to go to HHN for the design but I didn't want to be scared. HHN 24 was my first year ever and I got hooked right away. Year 5 for me now and of course they had to bring in this house.

Watched the movie again yesterday and it's really not bad at all. In fact, I am not sure how this is going to translate into a house. Most of the scares came from things happening, not monsters or people. I hope they do a lot of different effects but I just worry that this will be another visual house without much in the way of scares. Of course, if it is a white whale for them to get this IP, I am sure they are going to make it the best they possibly can.

Reactions: MrBlonde
The house is (forced perspective) in the distance as you go underground, and it's actually a stunning look. From my understanding, you'll come up from underground into the backyard, then enter the house through the rear (kitchen).

So sort of like Winter’s Night? This house seems really cool and is going in such a big SS

I'm kind of amazed that Steven Spielberg would have signed off on this (even if they weren't legally obligated to do so, Universal surely would have run the project by him given their long history of working together), since he very rarely even acknowledges the movie exists (despite developing the story, co-writing the screenplay, producing, and - at least to some extent - directing the film).

Also, I wonder if they'll find a way to include this thing:
poltergeistghostlarge.jpg

I'm kind of amazed that Steven Spielberg would have signed off on this (even if they weren't legally obligated to do so, Universal surely would have run the project by him given their long history of working together), since he very rarely even acknowledges the movie exists (despite developing the story, co-writing the screenplay, producing, and - at least to some extent - directing the film).

He probably distances himself since everyone thinks he directed it, not Hooper. :lol:

I pictured the finale being us dodging lunging corpses, so if we start underground will we kind of wind our way through the house and then have a finale scene in the kids room? Will they take us into the closet and kind of make up the content like the end of the exorcist house in hell? Whatever it is this sounds cool!

Edit: Can anyone say if they will try to implement any peppers ghost effects? I feel like this would be the house for that.

Also really hoping they have a room with everything moving around like the movie. The one thing I was disappointed about exorcist was they never had a room with the furniture moving around.

He probably distances himself since everyone thinks he directed it, not Hooper. :lol:

Oh, that's absolutely why.

For all intents and purposes, he pretty much did direct it. He was contractually obligated by Universal to not "direct" another film until E.T. was released, but he could work on other projects in other capacities (such as producing). Hence the hiring of Tobe Hooper as POLTERGEIST's official director.

And I have no doubt that Hooper was actively involved in the production day-to-day, but Spielberg was the clear driving force, creatively. He was on the set every day.

There is also quite a bad of bad blood there, I think.

I think there was a bit coming from Hooper's side. At least for a while.

Though the two men did work together again on AMAZING STORIES and, later, the TAKEN miniseries.

Also, I wonder if they'll find a way to include this thing:
poltergeistghostlarge.jpg
Time to bring out the ghost busters spooktaular stuff!!!

The house is (forced perspective) in the distance as you go underground, and it's actually a stunning look. From my understanding, you'll come up from underground into the backyard, then enter the house through the rear (kitchen).

"I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the cast was down. I think that the problem *may* have been, that there was a Freeling house in the maze that was in danger of being *crushed* by a *dwarf*. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object."

Seriously though, I always love when they can pull off forced perspective in a haunt so I'm excited to see how this looks in the final product.

Reactions: RevFreako
So we have 3 white whales caught this year(TrT, KKFOS, & now Poltergeist). I’m really excited for this house, judging by what Legacy’s said they’re really getting creative with it. I’m hoping this can join AWiL & Halloween in terms of being one of the best of all time since it seems there’s a lot of passion behind this house