1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

HHN 29: Nightingales: Blood Pit

Discussion in 'Haunted Houses' started by Brian G., Apr 12, 2019.

1. OhHaiInternet95

OhHaiInternet95 Veteran Member

People were expecting to be on the Coliseum floor, I think. Given the location I was not, but it probably would have been better served in SS24. There's nothing in Us that couldn't have been done in a sprung--though given what it replaced, I can understand why it was where it was.

I still was a fan of this house, but Graveyard Games is without a doubt the original with the best chance of connecting with the GP (just as much as the IPs) the way Scarecrow did.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    SeventyOne likes this.
  2. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

People need to stop saying "Us should have replaced [sprung house]."

The sprungs were near complete before Us was on the table. Replacing them wasn't an option.

3. horrornights789

horrornights789 Veteran Member

On my first run through this house let me down but after a couple more I really love this house. It’s bloody as all hell and it’s really scary; and there’s glimpses of the coliseum above throughout the house if you catch them.

As much as I love this house the original is unbeaten. I think this house is fine in Sprung 1 though but following up Blood Prey was a challenge I’m not sure any sequel could live up to.

4. MrRoamer

MrRoamer Premium Member

I have to agree with this. My only additions are the overwhelming smells, and I really didn't like or understand the redesign.

I feel like they should have just not been branded as Nightingales, not that it would have helped the house much.

Fallow and SeventyOne like this.
  5. hhnholdem

hhnholdem Newcomer

I see discussions in the Depths of Fear thread about the dog, but is there a complaint about Nightingales that I wasn't aware of? I'm only asking because on opening night the gladiator gave a kick to the head to the prop that is on its knees, whereas on Saturday and Sunday it was a punch to the head.

6. Tryston Blankenship

Tryston Blankenship Rookie

I knew that was different! The knee was way more effective!!!

7. Lucky Planet

Lucky Planet Veteran Member

whats the prop?

8. hhnholdem

hhnholdem Newcomer

The prop was a mannequin resembling a human on its knees. The gladiator is beating on the human.

Lucky Planet likes this.
  9. Tryston Blankenship

when I went in Last night he wasn’t doing anything to the prop

10. OhHaiInternet95

Is it flawed? Yes. But the cast tonight was on point. Combine with the wonderful amount of gore and old-school style HHN storytelling, it's a strong maze IMO.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    SeventyOne likes this.
  11. JM-BENT

JM-BENT Rookie

Oh my god, this house gave me the first true sense of overwhelming dread and absolute terror I’ve gotten the entire event. Jumpscares are one thing but I don’t think a single thing can top the run I just had tonight.

It was a really slow Wednesday night and the park was about to close in about 15 minutes. I decide to go to Nightingales as that’s the only house I haven’t gone in yet. I also happened to be alone. Friends had left just a little bit earlier but I wanted to hit one last house.

Jesus, was that a mistake going alone in there.

I was the only guy in the entire first half of the house with no idea where anything was coming from, when it would happen or what they would do. It was like wearing a bright red target to a shooting range. I got EVERY scare to the point where eventually I just started ducking and weaving and running until I reached the guy wayyyy in front of me and stuck with him the whole rest of the house.

The entire time I couldn’t tell what was a fake wall, where any of the boo holes were, or even what to really look for to discern Nightingale from any other prop. It was probably the single scariest thing I’ve ever experienced in Horror Nights so far.

Thinking back, I’m really glad I did it the way I did it. That said, I’m definitely bringing a very large group alongside me next time I go. :lol:

12. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

As of last night, cast has definitely stepped up its game. Very aggressive, felt like quicker re-sets as well but that could be in my head. Much improved, tho a bit of a "reverse Gothic" effect where even a good house gets lost in the shuffle of such a strong line-up this year.

13. Tryston Blankenship

I came to say the exact same thing! Cast was killing it last night and could possibly be in my top 3 houses this year!

SeventyOne likes this.
  14. MrRoamer

MrRoamer Premium Member

The cast we had on Sunday was pretty on point. They were very aggressive, and add that with my "Its not Nightengales" mantra, it felt much much better.

SeventyOne likes this.
  15. OhHaiInternet95

Even if it sucks they re-designed the masks, the backstory of this house is great and fits with the Nightingales—I present it to those who argue they have no storytelling anymore—even if the masks don’t.

16. sjago13

sjago13 Premium Member

The gladiator that kicks is back.

17. itsabee

itsabee Rookie

Cool! Maybe I’ll have to put the smell behind me and do Nightingales again just to see this.

18. sjago13

sjago13 Premium Member

Its the first time I've seen it since opening weekend. Not sure if that actor is a reserve or just has been out lately or what.

19. OhHaiInternet95

It has its flaws (lion puppeteer seemingly wasn't there tonight), but goddamn I am loving this house.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    DanB89 and SeventyOne like this.
  20. Tobias

Tobias Member

I was pleasantly surprised by this house, both cast's were consistently aggressive on my run throughs so I could rely on this one for a good jolt or three. The Nightingale in the room with the wind always nailed me, same with the mirror trick about midway through.

I also had a really memorable final run where I literally got pinball'd between several of them. Another great moment was my 1st run where one of my friends got such a good scare...his freaked out reaction had the nearby ops holding their hands over their mouth in desperation of trying not to laugh. I've never seen someone get a reaction like that out of ops!

MrRoamer and uso345 like this.