Hollywood Drive-In Mini Golf | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Hollywood Drive-In Mini Golf

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I hate City Walk with burning passion. Overpriced restaurants, clubs I'm not in the least interested in, shops without any allure, and too much congestion and walk-time to reach the parks. I am, however, loving this putt-putt. Especially being so close to the parking garage and right next to the Cinema (currently the only facility of City Walk I find worth while). Bravo, Universal!

It is looking amazing. Truly amazing. I was unable to get photos this weekend, and it broke my heart, because it is stunning.

Call me a cynic, but I think we're throwing the word "amazing" around too loosely if it starts being applied to mini golf :shrug:

I hate City Walk with burning passion. Overpriced restaurants, clubs I'm not in the least interested in, shops without any allure, and too much congestion and walk-time to reach the parks. I am, however, loving this putt-putt. Especially being so close to the parking garage and right next to the Cinema (currently the only facility of City Walk I find worth while). Bravo, Universal!

I don't hate it that much, but I wouldn't say I enjoy it. Other than Blue Man Group, I prefer what DtD has to offer. Better atmosphere, more shops, and better food (or food value) in most cases. But DtD can be hell when it's crowded.

Call me a cynic, but I think we're throwing the word "amazing" around too loosely if it starts being applied to mini golf :shrug:

Cynic.:lol:

This course looks amazing, much like WinterSummerland, which is also pretty dang amazing.

I don't hate it that much, but I wouldn't say I enjoy it. Other than Blue Man Group, I prefer what DtD has to offer. Better atmosphere, more shops, and better food (or food value) in most cases. But DtD can be hell when it's crowded.

Shops are the only thing DTD has over CW, IMO.

I agree, I really find City walk unapealing and not very interesting.

I think from a family aspect, DTD is way better. But, as a 25 year old guy on vacation with my girlfriend and two other twentysomethings, CityWalk met our needs more. Especially during spring break. Parks too crowded by 2 PM? Grab lunch, then hit up happy hour at the Lone Palm and take a drunken-stupor induced nap at the hotel. Parks close at 10 or 11? Stop off on the way to the taxi stop for a night cap and some desert, maybe a dance or two and then back to the hotel. Now, for locals, this obviously isn't ideal for locals, but if I'm spending an adult-week at in Orlando, CW is a blast.

CityWalk is nice but whenever I've gone, we just go straight to the parks. They desperately need a restaurant such as Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex like DTD. There really isn't any good places to get a meal with fun ambiance there besides Margaritaville which isn't very fun for kids. I agree with others on the shopping too. There really aren't many "normal" stores. The feel of CityWalk is nice though and I think this addition is perfect!!

I say if you add some more COOL restaurants and more shops with less expensive things, DTD would have some tough competition.

I like CityWalk. Food is definitely overpriced, but I never had a bad experience. With DTD, you take away Adventurer's Club, you get negative Awesome Points. Having the Earl is nice, but man, I'll miss AC more than anything. I can't wait for the mini-golf though, it looks great.

Last edited:
I got these last night, around maybe 6-ish.

They were golfing, but I was on the walkways, so they're a bit blurry. (I nearly fell off the walkway to get these.)

temporary-1.jpg

temporary.jpg

I am local so I don't do much shopping at either place. I find I eat more at CW than DtD. Now that my kids are teens, I don't find myself in nearly as many Rainforest Rex Cafes. They are fine for what they are, but I prefer my themed dining to be a little more adult oriented like Emeril's Tchoup Chop.
DtD will soon have Splitsville so CW will probably need to add something similar yet different.

Great overage of the Minigolf here, blowing everyone away. Even the blurry pics made my day as I have a three day stay at Royal Pacific starting on Sunday and figured I was going to miss out on the Minigolf and Spider-man open by days. At least now I have a glimmer of hope on the Minigolf end.

Uhh... CityWalk wins just on the energy alone. DTD has so many dead spaces right now and it's lost a lot of its appeal over the years. Like someone else, CityWalk would benefit with some better shops and maybe a DisneyQuest-type attraction. But it's already got a decent line-up of restaurants and the upstairs food court with the three fast food eateries were a step in the right direction as well.

Uhh... CityWalk wins just on the energy alone. DTD has so many dead spaces right now and it's lost a lot of its appeal over the years. Like someone else, CityWalk would benefit with some better shops and maybe a DisneyQuest-type attraction. But it's already got a decent line-up of restaurants and the upstairs food court with the three fast food eateries were a step in the right direction as well.

I know that DTD was the hopping place back in the late 90's... decadent even. I have never been to CW at night but in recent years it appears to be more of a place to hang out for young people with cash than todays DTD. Are the newer food establishments above the cinema doing well or are they a loss? (which has nothing to do with the nightlife, just curious if Uni made a good decision).

Last edited:
CityWalk is nice but whenever I've gone, we just go straight to the parks. They desperately need a restaurant such as Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex like DTD. There really isn't any good places to get a meal with fun ambiance there besides Margaritaville which isn't very fun for kids. I agree with others on the shopping too. There really aren't many "normal" stores. The feel of CityWalk is nice though and I think this addition is perfect!!

I say if you add some more COOL restaurants and more shops with less expensive things, DTD would have some tough competition.

TREX? Rainforest? Really? They looks cool but are so beyond overpriced for TGI Fridays food. Citywalk is further away for me and always the better choice. Even the AMC theater is nicer at Citywalk.

TREX? Rainforest? Really? They looks cool but are so beyond overpriced for TGI Fridays food. Citywalk is further away for me and always the better choice. Even the AMC theater is nicer at Citywalk.

Seriously Rainforest Rex are the WORST. Long lines, high prices, loud obnoxious eating areas and mediocre to bad food.