Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit | Page 212 | Inside Universal Forums

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I love conversation and its nice to fill time between updates but this argument is really pointless. Uni isnt going to destroy a ride because some members of a forum that Uni apparently cant stand want it torn down. It's not coming down and if some of you hate it that much don't ride and for the love of my sanity try not to look at it.

We talk of Uni getting big heads and having their ego drive them well I think we need to look in the mirror first.

As far as indoor: You can't get the height and in turn the drop of an outdoor roller coaster. It's almost always a launch, and to coaster fans there is a certain thrill in the buildup. It's just an all around different coaster experience.

Please...saying "can't" is awfully limiting. Too, there is quite a buildup with launches as well. The general guest is enthused by both. I will agree with you though, the experiences do vary rather significantly.

For me, Rockit sticks out the most simply because of the the red track and bland tan supports. Its just not aesthetically pleasing. Combine that and an underwhelming experience, it just leaves a blah feeling to me.

Was 2005-2009 really a dark period at Universal? Did they see people die there, or see an area of the park burned to the ground, or have big drops in attendance, or go through bankruptcy? Sure it wasn't their best time, but dark is too harsh. Heck the opening week of Universal Studios Florida was more dark and saddening. And what happened to Seaside yesterday..... I won't go there.

From a quality standpoint, yes, it was. It was an era that saw the addition of more cheaper attractions like Shrek, Nicktoon Blast, and Fear Factor that replaced attractions that were higher in quality. Plus maintenance and upkeep of various parts of the resort were dwindling.

And technically yes, Universal was on the brink of financial disaster. If they didn't get Potter, who knows what would've happened.

USO92 said:
We talk of Uni getting big heads and having their ego drive them well I think we need to look in the mirror first.

I don't, in fact overall I consider myself to be a pretty modest person. I'm just following what my heart says when it comes to this subject.

Personally I have only been on HRRR once..not because its a bad coaster. I simply would have preferred shoulder restraints. :cheers: Maybe instead of replacing this (which Uni won't) they could paint it a different color? :bolt: I didn't notice the roughness when I went on it two years ago and IMO the Hulk coaster at IOA is way rougher.

Personally I have only been on HRRR once..not because its a bad coaster. I simply would have preferred shoulder restraints. :cheers: Maybe instead of replacing this (which Uni won't) they could paint it a different color? :bolt: I didn't notice the roughness when I went on it two years ago and IMO the Hulk coaster at IOA is way rougher.

IMO hulk is rough as well. The one ride I avoid getting on any time I go to Uni. It's far too rough. Never had a problem with RRR or Dueling Dragons

not bashing on anybody...but its pretty funny to read how this thread goes......."take it down"..........."leave it alone"......."take it down"....."leave it alone".... :lol:

Just wanted to say I rode this for the first time ever today, and I absolutely loved it. One of my favorite coasters ever. I don't understand why people don't like it....the ride wasn't nearly as rough as Hulk or Dragon Challenge IMHO

We discussed Hulks roughness before. You will experience a more rough ride on hot humid days. There are also three different trains that ride a little bit differently.

But I'm sure there are some at Universal who share the same opinion as many people on here about Rockit which is take it down.

If Rockit could once and for all work out its operational issues and provide a consistently comfortable ride, I would tolerate it. Whoever said it's a monolith of "the dark ages," they're spot on - it's a "me-too," annoying sky-hogging mess of steel. What it brings to the park barely justifies what it takes from it, and that's when it's running properly.

We discussed Hulks roughness before. You will experience a more rough ride on hot humid days. There are also three different trains that ride a little bit differently.

But I'm sure there are some at Universal who share the same opinion as many people on here about Rockit which is take it down.

I would feel fairly comfortable saying that there is no one in any position of authority there who says "We spent millions on it, people ride it, it holds a line, it gets good satisfaction scores, but some don't like the look so let's tear it down"

And again with all this dark days stuff. For this particular project it wasn't a money issue rather a timing issue that we ended up with this ride. A major coaster manufacturer was the "runner up" in the bidding for this, and the deciding factor was that company wasn't going to be able to deliver the ride in the time UO was looking for. They offered an August opening.

So what's the ACTUAL backstory on Rockit? I know there's been blips here and there about it, but I'd like to hear the "REAL" story. I know it was supposed to be more than it is and got a bunch of things scaled back late in the design phase (no Hollywood sign backdrop, no dual track ending, no LCD lifthill, etc.). If rumors are to be believed, B&M was the go-to company for the ride but they passed (due to the vertical lift hill and the non-inverting loop, allegedly). If that's correct, what other details aren't that well known?

I would feel fairly comfortable saying that there is no one in any position of authority there who says "We spent millions on it, people ride it, it holds a line, it gets good satisfaction scores, but some don't like the look so let's tear it down"

And again with all this dark days stuff. For this particular project it wasn't a money issue rather a timing issue that we ended up with this ride. A major coaster manufacturer was the "runner up" in the bidding for this, and the deciding factor was that company wasn't going to be able to deliver the ride in the time UO was looking for. They offered an August opening.

No but there would definitely be some who look at Rockit in terms of its operational expenses. When you analyze its downtimes and maintenance costs compared to other attractions its not a well performing venue. And the ride only just started accepting express this year, four years after its opening, due to its low capacity. And as someone stated before: it holds a line because of its low capacity otherwise it would be at a 5 minute wait just like Revenge of the Mummy, Incredible Hulk and Dragon Challenge during lower attendance periods. The ride can only do about 1300 at 5 or 6 trains. Now that they are only running 3 or 4 it can do a little over a 1000. Compare that to Mummy which can do over 2000 people per hour (PPH).

So what's the ACTUAL backstory on Rockit? I know there's been blips here and there about it, but I'd like to hear the "REAL" story. I know it was supposed to be more than it is and got a bunch of things scaled back late in the design phase (no Hollywood sign backdrop, no dual track ending, no LCD lifthill, etc.). If rumors are to be believed, B&M was the go-to company for the ride but they passed (due to the vertical lift hill and the non-inverting loop, allegedly). If that's correct, what other details aren't that well known?

Coasters tend to be designed a little differently then other rides. For Transformers for example Universal Creative is designer, they create the whole show and bring together vendors who can make it happen. For coasters when the put out for bid they tend to be more open. Usually with the idea of we have this space, we would like to see this kind of coaster with these elements. Send me your idea and it's price.

In this case from what I've heard each bid had a some different features. For example a B&M wouldn't have looked like a K'NEX coaster, and probably would not have had the vertical lift.

I've also hear from a lot of people that B&M wasn't going to be able to complete the project by the time that Universal wanted it so they went with Maurer.

I've also hear from a lot of people that B&M wasn't going to be able to complete the project by the time that Universal wanted it so they went with Maurer.
If only they would have been in the position they are in now they could have waited...but with the dire straights and Potter crowds looming it had to be done quick..
Would love to have seen what B&M would have done

I love Rockit and hope it lives a long life. Obviously as a coaster fan, I don't mind at all seeing a coaster in the skyline. As a matter of fact, I embrace it. Roller coasters are not the best themed elements in a park, but they are iconic structures that symbolize thrill and fear. When you approach a park entrance and see a coaster in the backdrop, it gets the heart pumping, the adrenaline flowing. Numerous times I've see guests stand at the entrance of Universal Studios and watch with amazement as Rockit flies by. Many parks have coasters toward the near the main gate, towering over the skyline; Hulk @ IOA, Manta @ SWO, Montu & Cheetah Hunt @ BGT. Quite frankly, I could care less about the old New York facades. If I had my way, USF would be bombarded with coasters similar to a Cedar Point; who, by the way, has one hell of a skyline!

I love Rockit and hope it lives a long life. Obviously as a coaster fan, I don't mind at all seeing a coaster in the skyline. As a matter of fact, I embrace it. Roller coasters are not the best themed elements in a park, but they are iconic structures that symbolize thrill and fear. When you approach a park entrance and see a coaster in the backdrop, it gets the heart pumping, the adrenaline flowing. Numerous times I've see guests stand at the entrance of Universal Studios and watch with amazement as Rockit flies by. Many parks have coasters toward the near the main gate, towering over the skyline; Hulk @ IOA, Manta @ SWO, Montu & Cheetah Hunt @ BGT. Quite frankly, I could care less about the old New York facades. If I had my way, USF would be bombarded with coasters similar to a Cedar Point; who, by the way, has one hell of a skyline!

I tend to agree with your post...but IMHO, USF isn't the park for a skyline full of coasters. Cedar Point DOES have a damn impressive skyline with a new mega-coaster that flies right over the front gate as you're coming in (the new GateKeeper coaster), but CP is an amusement park (not a theme park) and its huge array of coasters is what keeps customers surging through the gates. I mean, that's why you go to CP and Six Flags Magic Mountain. Heck, or ANY Six Flags or Cedar Fair park. USF is a park that's themed to an "actual working movie studio"--whether that theme stays or is phased out as it appears to be--so my question is which "working" movie studio have you visited that has a roller coaster in it? Too many outdoor coasters would ruin the ambiance/theme of USF.

Now with that said, Rockit's profile doesn't bother me personally, and I could live with a second major outdoor coaster placed in the park somewhere, but no more than that. Leave the crazy coasters for IOA, BGT, or Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks. I like the unique indoor ride creations that USF has and they're the main reason why I love USF so much. How many amusment parks have you gone to that have the bulk of their A-list attractions built indoors? None, that I can think of. Sure, many have an indoor ride or 2, but buildings cost money and that takes away from the budget of a stellar ride. Better to plop it in an open parcel of land and dazzle the people coming into the park or driving by it on the freeway...

Sorry to sound preachy, that's not my intent. :pray:

I'd be all about Rockit staying for a long time too, if they can figure out how to fix it and make it the awesome experience it was originally supposed to be. I'd just like to be able to enjoy it without having my spine crushed to a bunch of tired songs that were huge 5+ years ago...

Last edited: