Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hong Kong Disneyland

So it looks like a second gate has been announced, on the very quiet.

Lantau (the island that HK DL is built on), has a lot of politics surrounding any development on it (many HKers regard Lantau to be a nature reserve, and want little development over there). However, the HK Government has been pushing for more and more development on the island, including an expansion to HKDL. About 2 days ago, they announced (amongst a lot of other things) in a press release that a "large" expansion to HKDL has been confirmed.

Given the area of land that Disney owns, it seems to me that the "large" expansion will mostly likely come through as a second gate, across the fountain from the first.

Disneyland expansion part of massive Lantau land reclamation project to house 700,000 more by 2030 | South China Morning Post

This has been in development for quite some time. All the major players are going "all in" in Asia. I wonder how this weeks stock tumble will effect all these plans.

Hong Kong is fast becoming Disney's new Paris problem. Attendance is abysmal for a castle park. Even with all the new attractions in the last couple of years, attendance is still falling, even though tickets are much cheaper than the USA Disney parks. The only times they get crowds are for their holiday periods. The other times the park is slow, with most attractions, even Mystic Manor, being walk ons.

This has been in development for quite some time. All the major players are going "all in" in Asia. I wonder how this weeks stock tumble will effect all these plans.

For Hong Kong, quite little. My understanding that the HK Gov't is subsidising this (they own half the park, iirc). Their motivations are driven politically, rather than economically (not to mention flush with cash! Last year, their surplus reached 2 years of funding. ie, they could eliminate all taxes tomorrow, and still fund the Gov't for two years without selling a single bond.)

Hong Kong is fast becoming Disney's new Paris problem. Attendance is abysmal for a castle park. Even with all the new attractions in the last couple of years, attendance is still falling, even though tickets are much cheaper than the USA Disney parks. The only times they get crowds are for their holiday periods. The other times the park is slow, with most attractions, even Mystic Manor, being walk ons.

Truth is, the park is actually just "boring". I've been there a few times, and within one day at the park, you're already recycling over the same attractions over and over.... partly because it's just walk-on. The only repeat visitors are locals with small children, and I know that the adults end up despising being dragged around ten times a year.

Newspaper & web site....RTHK.HK English Edition reports that HKDL will be laying off employees due to the continued drop in attendance and poor business performance. Labor Party lawmaker Lee Cheuk-yan says he's "shocked" over reports of an imminent layoff,and said he's worried there will be more sackings to come after Disney Shanghai opens.......This attendance drop comes in spite of three new lands opening in the past few years, Mystic Manor mini land, Grizzly land, Toy Story Land. Plus new Iron Man attraction coming.

*Blows the dust off this thread*

So....Iron Man Experience was supposed to open this year? What happened to this ride that everyone suddenly forgot about? 

I guess it's not as controversial as GOToT? In any way, I guess its more due to that..people just don't really care about HKDL (even though they have one of the best dark rides on the planet, Mystic Manor).

I was just at the park a few days ago. Construction moving slow as molasses. Word is that it is opening in December.

This park just continues to do poorly. Just about every trip report I've seen shows an empty park. There's a new report on TPI Forum by a gentleman that's been to Hong Kong Disney a number of times. He says he was just there during what is generally a big 4 day holiday weekend for Hong Kong. He went to Disney on the holiday Saturday afternoon and the wait for the park's two premier E tickets, Mystic Manor & the Grizzly attraction ( a step up from Thunder Mt.) was 5 minute walk ons (pictures of the short waits & emptiness). Sure looks like Disney has another Paris problem on their hands.

This park just continues to do poorly. Just about every trip report I've seen shows an empty park. There's a new report on TPI Forum by a gentleman that's been to Hong Kong Disney a number of times. He says he was just there during what is generally a big 4 day holiday weekend for Hong Kong. He went to Disney on the holiday Saturday afternoon and the wait for the park's two premier E tickets, Mystic Manor & the Grizzly attraction ( a step up from Thunder Mt.) was 5 minute walk ons (pictures of the short waits & emptiness). Sure looks like Disney has another Paris problem on their hands.

Paris' problem wasn't attendence as much as overbuilt hotels. Most people either did a side trip from Paris, or stayed in Paris instead of the hotels.

It's almost as if building two resorts extremely close in China was a bad idea...

(Yeah, I know that's not the ONLY reason HK is doing well, but it's most likely a factor...)

I don't think anyone would choose HKDL over Shanghai Disney right now.. so that can't help.

Iron Man Experience is close to opening:

db_2016_1023_IronMan51.jpg

db_2016_1023_IronMan41.jpg

db_2016_1023_IronMan21.jpg