Horror Movies Thread | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
THE OUTWATERS, which is now available through VOD platforms, is a mixed bag.

Very intense and very gruesome imagery in the back half, with phenomenal (Oscar-worthy) sound design, but the first 50 minutes are really a slog, and it gets so hallucinatory that your ability to buy-into the possibility that these events might really be happening is severely challenged. Or at least mine was!

Reactions: Allison
THE OUTWATERS, which is now available through VOD platforms, is a mixed bag.

Very intense and very gruesome imagery in the back half, with phenomenal (Oscar-worthy) sound design, but the first 50 minutes are really a slog, and it gets so hallucinatory that your ability to buy-into the possibility that these events might really be happening is severely challenged. Or at least mine was!

I just finished watching it and, for me, it didn’t really get all that interesting until the third memory card started and even then I thought it dragged on too long.

I think I fell for the hype of it but that’s about it.

Reactions: belloq87
Tried Infinity Pool the other night. Didn’t know anything about it besides the good reviews and the Cronenberg connection (The Fly being one of my all-time favorites).

We left early. That was just too much. I would’ve been embarrassed if anyone had seen my face leaving the theater. Not sure how that got a wide release.

I just finished watching it and, for me, it didn’t really get all that interesting until the third memory card started and even then I thought it dragged on too long.

I think I fell for the hype of it but that’s about it.

Making our POV character somebody who...
...becomes mentally impaired via injury and is incapable of acting proactively or rationally...
... is a choice that really makes it hard to stay invested, as is the decision to go so obviously fantastical. The imagery is good once things heat up, but that's all there is.

Tried Infinity Pool the other night. Didn’t know anything about it besides the good reviews and the Cronenberg connection (The Fly being one of my all-time favorites).

We left early. That was just too much. I would’ve been embarrassed if anyone had seen my face leaving the theater. Not sure how that got a wide release.

... I liked INFINITY POOL...
:eek:ut:

I really liked Infinity Pool, but, I will admit I’m a Mia Goth fan and desensitized with horror at the moment. Like, out of the 2 more brutal horror films I’ve seen recently (The Outwaters & this one), I honestly found The Outwaters to be worse.

At least in Infinity Pool
the main character didn’t castrate & gut himself on camera :shrug:

I really liked Infinity Pool, but, I will admit I’m a Mia Goth fan and desensitized with horror at the moment. Like, out of the 2 more brutal horror films I’ve seen recently (The Outwaters & this one), I honestly found The Outwaters to be worse.

... I liked INFINITY POOL...
:eek:ut:

Now that I’ve had some time to come down from the experience (and had to sit through Ant Man) I’m gonna go ahead and say it wasn’t a BAD movie. It was well directed and shot and the effects/montages were well done. I don’t actually have a problem with the subject matter as is—but I found it all very gratuitous. I look at David Cronenberg’s movies which are all sorts of twisted but always in a manner that serves the story. Infinity Pool didn’t need to show certain things to get across it’s muddled themes of classism, and I think that’s proven by the fact that the most graphic stuff didn’t occur naturally but through shoehorned sequences written off as “because drugs.”

I’ll also mention part of the experience involved getting my girlfriend to go as a way to justify our A-List membership, which we’ve used maybe twice since the summer. I had to convince her it would be worth it and knowing she was NOT into it and that I had sold it hard made it a little embarrassing for me when certain…things started coming out of certain…places :lol:

I dont know…to each their own. I’m down with the weird stuff but when it’s presented just for the sake of it I get weirded out. It’s not that I can’t stomach it, it’s that I start to question what the point is.

Now that I’ve had some time to come down from the experience (and had to sit through Ant Man) I’m gonna go ahead and say it wasn’t a BAD movie. It was well directed and shot and the effects/montages were well done. I don’t actually have a problem with the subject matter as is—but I found it all very gratuitous. I look at David Cronenberg’s movies which are all sorts of twisted but always in a manner that serves the story. Infinity Pool didn’t need to show certain things to get across it’s muddled themes of classism, and I think that’s proven by the fact that the most graphic stuff didn’t occur naturally but through shoehorned sequences written off as “because drugs.”

I’ll also mention part of the experience involved getting my girlfriend to go as a way to justify our A-List membership, which we’ve used maybe twice since the summer. I had to convince her it would be worth it and knowing she was NOT into it and that I had sold it hard made it a little embarrassing for me when certain…things started coming out of certain…places :lol:

I dont know…to each their own. I’m down with the weird stuff but when it’s presented just for the sake of it I get weirded out. It’s not that I can’t stomach it, it’s that I start to question what the point is.

I’ve said it before on here and will stand by that, imo, horror really is subjective. Example being I hate the Terrifier franchise, yet it’s got a super dedicated fan base. Infinity Pool definitely had many eye roll moments, and I probably will never watch it again, but, for me personally I’ve sat through a lot worse.

I will admit I’m a Mia Goth fan

She's an international treasure. You have to appreciate somebody who keeps taking on these demented roles and absolutely killing them.

INFINITY POOL is certainly not a movie to take an unprepared civilian to, so I can understand that souring the experience!

She's an international treasure. You have to appreciate somebody who keeps taking on these demented roles and absolutely killing them.

This past weekend I watched Pearl and Infinity Pool. Mia Goth. That's the whole post and nothing but the post. Pearl is an amazing, amazing genre performance that's absolutely on par with something like Anthony Perkins in Psycho. Sympathetic, naive, innocent, tortured, cruel, insane, brutal, sick, all at once. The big monologue to 'Howard' and the end credits still are some of my favorite things in horror in recent memory.

Infinity Pool isn't particularly my jam but it's well made and I appreciate the weirdness.

This past weekend I watched Pearl and Infinity Pool. Mia Goth. That's the whole post and nothing but the post. Pearl is an amazing, amazing genre performance that's absolutely on par with something like Anthony Perkins in Psycho. Sympathetic, naive, innocent, tortured, cruel, insane, brutal, sick, all at once. The big monologue to 'Howard' and the end credits still are some of my favorite things in horror in recent memory.

Her work in PEARL was my favorite performance by anybody in any genre last year.

Watched Scream 2022 last night, and the new Scream in theaters.

Pros
  • Dewey’s death. The subplot with Gale was getting tiring, plus he was still likable enough to leave an impact.
  • Sam is a good protagonist. Especially in Scream VI.
  • I didn’t mind the Billy hallucinations.
  • The kills and stabbings were visceral, I had to take my eyes off the screen at times because of how grotesque it was.
  • Roger L. Jackson still kicks as Ghostface.
Cons
  • Even though it was brief, I’m disappointed that Gale went back to her own selfish habits in Scream VI, after the last movie she literally said she wouldn’t pull this bull anymore.
  • Really not pleased that they killed Anika.
  • The reveal of the killers in Scream VI kinda makes no sense. Gale wrote a book about Richie the Ghostface killer, Kirby is a expert on the Ghostface killer, how did Richie’s family just slip by them?
  • Both of these movies borrow quite a bit from the first two movies, 2022 literally having it in the same goramn house and the evil boyfriend trope as the first one. Just because you lampshade it doesn’t mean it’s still not derivative.

I thought Scream 6 was a freakin' blast. Most fun I've had at the movies in a while.

As someone who kinda soured on 5... yeah Scream 6 was pretty rad lol. Love how much they used the city setting.

Next one... Scream London?