Horror Movies Thread | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Scream 6:
Loved it but I think I might have enjoyed Scream 5 just a bit more.The new setting certainly freshened things up.

Cocaine Bear:
What an absolute piece of rubbish, no redeeming features at all.

Reactions: belloq87
After watching both this weekend, not ashamed to say that I honestly had more fun with Cocaine Bear than I did with Scream VI.

Scream VI was fine, I'm just kind of over how up it's own butt the franchise as a whole seems. I am literally begging to be Ghostface's next victim to have a new Scream film that doesn't need to bend over backwards to be a branch that relate to to the 30 year old tree of Sydney Prescott or Billy Loomis. The core idea of a group of young people being stalked and slashed one by one and one of them is the killer due to an ulterior motive is so compelling but this series just fees likes it gets dragged down by the need to lump each new installment into the overall lore.

On it's own it's a fine slasher film with some great sequences and it's hard not to get that nostalgia pop from the Ghostface museum but seriously, how does ALMOST NO ONE IMPORTANT die in this movie? Are these kids made out of immortal skin or something? Also think it was egregious that Gail survived to the end. Especially since Dewey was offed in the last one.

Cocaine Bear is surprisingly gruesome, funnily dark at some points and never really dwells in the dips between the bear rampage. Not something I'll be pining to watch every year but such a blast and a breeze to watch.

After watching both this weekend, not ashamed to say that I honestly had more fun with Cocaine Bear than I did with Scream VI.

Scream VI was fine, I'm just kind of over how up it's own butt the franchise as a whole seems. I am literally begging to be Ghostface's next victim to have a new Scream film that doesn't need to bend over backwards to be a branch that relate to to the 30 year old tree of Sydney Prescott or Billy Loomis. The core idea of a group of young people being stalked and slashed one by one and one of them is the killer due to an ulterior motive is so compelling but this series just fees likes it gets dragged down by the need to lump each new installment into the overall lore.

On it's own it's a fine slasher film with some great sequences and it's hard not to get that nostalgia pop from the Ghostface museum but seriously, how does ALMOST NO ONE IMPORTANT die in this movie? Are these kids made out of immortal skin or something? Also think it was egregious that Gail survived to the end. Especially since Dewey was offed in the last one.

Cocaine Bear is surprisingly gruesome, funnily dark at some points and never really dwells in the dips between the bear rampage. Not something I'll be pining to watch every year but such a blast and a breeze to watch.
AA691857-E484-42EE-8525-691C6E972142.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Jamesh22

The original Scream is an undoubted classic. Past that I just haven't ever really bought into the hype. Scream IV is probably my second favorite and outside of that they just don't gripe me. They're (usually) always well done and well executed films, granted, just not my favorite. It doesn't really help that most of the Scream films are very identical to each other, IMO.

okay someone explain to me why the Exorcist is hailed as one of the greatest movies ever made. Yesterday was the second time I tried to get into this movie yet it’s still incredibly boring.

okay someone explain to me why the Exorcist is hailed as one of the greatest movies ever made. Yesterday was the second time I tried to get into this movie yet it’s still incredibly boring.

I mean, if it doesn't click for you, it doesn't click for you, and there's probably little anyone could say that would change that for you. And that's okay!

It's one of my absolute favorite films of all time, and here's what I wrote about it on Letterboxd the last time I watched it:
What they were able to get away with, content-wise, back in 1973 remains kind of staggering, but the great thing is that even at its most shocking, THE EXORCIST never, ever feels gimmicky or cheap or schlocky. The inherent tension between director William Friedkin’s uncompromising dedication to realism and writer William Peter Blatty’s very Catholic perspective is one of the film’s greatest strengths, and it achieves an equilibrium between the two that works superbly. It also contains the most effective and nuanced “crisis of faith” ever put on film, and Jason Miller gives one of the great unheralded performances of the 1970s to bring that arc to life in a way that defies cliches or easy emotion. On a technical level, the film is beautifully-crafted, from the chilly cinematography to Dick Smith’s striking makeup to the ground-breaking sound design, and there is not a bad performance to be found among the excellent cast (Ellen Burstyn and Linda Blair -- as well as Miller -- should have walked away with Oscars). I find THE EXORCIST relentlessly unsettling, but also surprisingly meaningful in the way it subtly wrestles with concepts of faith and good & evil. This is one of my all-time favorite films.
And if you've got some time and are interested, here's a great interview with noted film critic Mark Kermode, who considers THE EXORCIST to be his favorite film. He really gets into why it works so effectively for him, and I would echo a lot of what he has to say here:

The Exorcist is just always probably going to be one of those films that is hard for newer generations to appreciate. Cinema itself has just changed so much since it made it's impactful debut.

That said I'll take this opportunity to claim stake to the idea that Exorcist III is better than the original, come at me, bro.

It was not made for the Tik Tok generation, that's for sure.

Anyone else heading to see Evil Dead Rise this weekend?

I want to see Beau is Afraid, but unfortunately it's going to have to wait for EDR.

I haven’t been keeping up much with the genre lately but Scream 6 is available on VOD on 4/25 and Cocaine Bear is on Peacock.

I thought Cocaine Bear was pretty funny, looking forward to finally seeing Scream 6 though.

Anyone else heading to see Evil Dead Rise this weekend?

I want to see Beau is Afraid, but unfortunately it's going to have to wait for EDR.
Beyond excited. Still doing my best to avoid watching trailers or snippets as best I can. Know the basic plot and that's all I want going in.

Probably going to re-watch Evil Dead (2013) on Saturday night before catching Rise on Sunday. Most likely going to see it multiple times in theaters. I've been told that the trailer makes it fit really nice between the slapstick, horror comedy stylings of the later Bruce ED and the absolutely brutal torment that plays out in the 2013 re-imagining.

In other horror flicks I've watched recently, this past weekend I finally caught up with The Stepfather (the original) and it's a damn fine film that really centers on Terry O'Quinn giving an absolutely phenomenally un-hinged performance as the titular fatherly menace. He gives one of the best crazy killer performances this side of Anthony Perkins. The rest of the cast plays their parts fine and you'll get some good hack and slash bits but it's a must watch for O'Quinn alone.

Decided to double bill that with The Guest, another film featuring a great performance, this time from Dan Stevens as a solider returning home as he visits the family of a friend in his squadron that was lost in combat. Only he's got a whole hell of lot more bubbling under his friendly, polite demeanor. To say much more would spoil the goods but it's a great, funny, bloody, tense romp from the makers of one of my own personal favorites, You're Next: Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett!

In other horror flicks I've watched recently, this past weekend I finally caught up with The Stepfather (the original) and it's a damn fine film that really centers on Terry O'Quinn giving an absolutely phenomenally un-hinged performance as the titular fatherly menace. He gives one of the best crazy killer performances this side of Anthony Perkins. The rest of the cast plays their parts fine and you'll get some good hack and slash bits but it's a must watch for O'Quinn alone.
O'Quinn is incredible in THE STEPFATHER.

O'Quinn is incredible in THE STEPFATHER.
THAT scene where he drops THAT line that's on all of the posters for the film is just jaw dropping. Legitimately right up there with Anthony Perkins for one of the greatest 'wow, his mind just shattered into pieces' moments in horror history.

Any buzz about Beau Is Afraid? I’m intrigued but also put off by the three hour runtime and the fact I’ll have to go by myself because indie movies are kind of my secret little passion.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Beyond excited. Still doing my best to avoid watching trailers or snippets as best I can. Know the basic plot and that's all I want going in.

Probably going to re-watch Evil Dead (2013) on Saturday night before catching Rise on Sunday. Most likely going to see it multiple times in theaters. I've been told that the trailer makes it fit really nice between the slapstick, horror comedy stylings of the later Bruce ED and the absolutely brutal torment that plays out in the 2013 re-imagining.

Decided to double bill that with The Guest, another film featuring a great performance, this time from Dan Stevens as a solider returning home as he visits the family of a friend in his squadron that was lost in combat. Only he's got a whole hell of lot more bubbling under his friendly, polite demeanor. To say much more would spoil the goods but it's a great, funny, bloody, tense romp from the makers of one of my own personal favorites, You're Next: Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett!
The Evil Dead Rise trailer is awesome. It looks BRUTAL.

You're Next is one of my favorites as well!

All of the "career killer" *buzz* on social media for Beau is Afraid seems like unnecessary fabricated hype. Not really interested in seeing it either way. Maybe I will change my mind.

THAT opening scene in Stepfather is one of my favorite scenes in horror (re-watched it recently because it was on The Last Drive-In and was going through episodes I had missed).

Going to try and see Evil Dead Rise at the local drive-in here this weekend depending on what they bill it with (or if they put it second because the place is an hour and a half away and I am on teacher time right now so getting back at 2am is not a good move for me)