Horror Movies Thread | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Speak for yourself, Jason Goes to Hell absolutely slaps and I applaud it for having a ton of fun with the mythos of a decade old plus franchise. Wouldn't want to see multiple movies of Worm-Jason slithering into other bodies but as a one film excursion into something wacky, I think it works wonders.
Then again I'm a Friday fanboy so I can come up with an excuse to like just about every single film in the franchise. I do have a soft spot for the later entries that just go full head over heels with a singular gimmick and make it work though.

Jason Goes To Hell is slept on waaaay too much.

^

Jason goes to hell, the original script had to deal with Jason's brother and Father and stuff. It sounded better. Jason goes to hell kinda went through what alien 3 kinda went through.
It kept being changed and rewritten and stuff.
I wish it was better. In the sense that it should have had more of those early elements.
They famously wanted to get rid of the hockey mask but it should have dealt with Jason's family more. Its a little boring and some characters and storylines are wasted
I'm just surprised that Halloween did some of these things. Lol.

Jason goes to hell, the original script had to deal with Jason's brother and Father and stuff. It sounded better. Jason goes to hell kinda went through what alien 3 kinda went through.
It kept being changed and rewritten and stuff.
I wish it was better. In the sense that it should have had more of those early elements.
They famously wanted to get rid of the hockey mask but it should have dealt with Jason's family more. Its a little boring and some characters and storylines are wasted
I'm just surprised that Halloween did some of these things. Lol.

Personally, I don't need it. Jason's father was just some dude. Pamela went crazy after his death, committed the acts of the first film and Jason is some sort of demonic, supernatural, deadite presence who guards his territory like a deranged animal. I don't need a film's worth of exposition about what his dad and brother were like and this or that for lore purposes. I just want to see the beast get unleashed.

It's why I'm loathing the supposed Crystal Lake show that is coming. I don't give a lick about the town of Crystal Lake before Jason was born or while he was a kid at camp. Don't take my dumb, rudimentary slasher franchise about the hack and slash king and boil it into a drama about townsfolk and the 'origins of evil'.

It's so weird to me to even want to turn a slasher film into an episodic film format. The genre works because it's a collection of brutal set pieces that whittle down the cast. It gets elevated when the human element is fleshed out well and you care for the survivors fighting for their lives. Why you'd want to stretch out the time between slashings is beyond me. Get right to more feature films if all the court stuff is done with!

Personally, I don't need it. Jason's father was just some dude. Pamela went crazy after his death, committed the acts of the first film and Jason is some sort of demonic, supernatural, deadite presence who guards his territory like a deranged animal. I don't need a film's worth of exposition about what his dad and brother were like and this or that for lore purposes. I just want to see the beast get unleashed.

It's why I'm loathing the supposed Crystal Lake show that is coming. I don't give a lick about the town of Crystal Lake before Jason was born or while he was a kid at camp. Don't take my dumb, rudimentary slasher franchise about the hack and slash king and boil it into a drama about townsfolk and the 'origins of evil'.

It's so weird to me to even want to turn a slasher film into an episodic film format. The genre works because it's a collection of brutal set pieces that whittle down the cast. It gets elevated when the human element is fleshed out well and you care for the survivors fighting for their lives. Why you'd want to stretch out the time between slashings is beyond me. Get right to more feature films if all the court stuff is done with!
Technically we never needed Jason to explode and go from body to body lol. I'm not being sarcastic towards you but towards the movie. Lol. They really really wanted to get rid of Jason and if they really wanted that,
If they really wanted to get rid of Jason and the mask, having Jason jumping from body to body was kinda weird. It was also a rip off of some 90s movie where the killer jumped from body to body, it wasn't original for that time.

I wish, if I had my own option, it's fine to explode Jason but I wish the first guy that ate the heart was the killer the entire movie. Just decaying throughout the movie. Just one main guy Or have one main new body for Jason but just have him break down ( like Edgar from men in black)
Getting rid of Jason and the mask was a difficult position to be in, but what Jason and now Michael did wasn't that great. And in both movies it didn't work well. I know these movies can get stale. But the family angle with Jason would have been interesting

This weekend I revisited Popcorn (still a super fun, underrated slasher, it's a total shame we never got to see more Lanyard Gates madness!) because of the recent mention as well as the 1999 and 2017 versions of The Mummy, in honor of the recently released Screen Drafts podcast episode (highly recommended podcast for film fans in general!). 1999 is a fairly middling pastiche of most of the Indiana Jones action adventure tropes. While not offensive, I think it's debatable that it deserves the recent appraisal it's had in the Brenden Fraser renaissance.

2017 Mummy, on the other hand, left me with one of the most sour tastes in my mouth. The fact that Universal thought and expected this film to the be the launching of the 'Dark Universe' is absolutely baffling. Just so many questions here both in front of and behind the camera. The ending sequence literally made me pained. I went in with an open mind thinking maybe it could be better than the '99 effort but boy was I so entirely wrong.

I've been a '99 MUMMY fan from the very start. No re-appraisal necessary for me!

It's a fine popcorn flick. Not bad by any means. But after re-watching all of the Indy movies in the lead up to Dial, it just feels really... uninspired? Like a very cheap imitation. Fraser is fun but he just doesn't have the charm Harrison does. The action set pieces are just sorta... eh? You can tell it's missing the Spielberg touch. And that CGI man. It came out right at the worst time for it and boy does it look rough at times by today's standards.

Not gonna lie, I enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull more than Mummy 99. It's just better made, IMO.

Reactions: imagin78 and Jake S
It's a fine popcorn flick. Not bad by any means. But after re-watching all of the Indy movies in the lead up to Dial, it just feels really... uninspired? Like a very cheap imitation. Fraser is fun but he just doesn't have the charm Harrison does. The action set pieces are just sorta... eh? You can tell it's missing the Spielberg touch. And that CGI man. It came out right at the worst time for it and boy does it look rough at times by today's standards.

Not gonna lie, I enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull more than Mummy 99. It's just better made, IMO.
yeah, I generally agree with all this. '99 Mummy is very emblematic of the stephen sommers aesthetic, which you see very clearly in both mummy films and van helsing. some of that is a product of its time [boy we loved gloss in the late 90s/early 2000s], but universal basically hired sommers as a poor man's spielberg [which they tried again when making Jurassic Park III with Joe Johnston, but that's another story].

The thing that make Spielberg and the Indy series so freaking amazing is how the set pieces move. How they build. In stakes and tension and peril. Think of the opening of Raiders, how we move from the atmospheric, creepy temple to the ruckus escape to the jungle chase from natives. Or the brilliant sequence that starts with Indy and his dad in a fighter plane before they crash land, outrace two Luftwaffe planes pursuing them and use every trick in the book to evade them. Or the criminally underrated opening piece of Crystal Skull that sees Indy escape Area 51's warehouse, ride a bullet train to a model town and eventually escape a nuclear detonation in a lead lined fridge.

The way Indy's best set pieces actually move between locales is just so fun and seamless you don't even notice how incredible they are until you sit down and really dissect them. And it's even more apparent after watching The Mummy, which has fine enough action but it's so static and just so short and confined in comparison. The boat scene, for instance, is pretty thrilling but it features a lot of the same 'action' repeated a few times and never really moves the characters outside of from inside the boat to off it.

Reactions: Jake S
Jumping off the F13 argument - I really don't know why Crystal Lake is going to be a thing. I really like "elevated horror" and things of that nature, but F13 is NOT that lol. Give me a dumb slasher with Jason killing counselors and I'll be happy.

This weekend I revisited Popcorn (still a super fun, underrated slasher, it's a total shame we never got to see more Lanyard Gates madness!) because of the recent mention as well as the 1999 and 2017 versions of The Mummy, in honor of the recently released Screen Drafts podcast episode (highly recommended podcast for film fans in general!). 1999 is a fairly middling pastiche of most of the Indiana Jones action adventure tropes. While not offensive, I think it's debatable that it deserves the recent appraisal it's had in the Brenden Fraser renaissance.

2017 Mummy, on the other hand, left me with one of the most sour tastes in my mouth. The fact that Universal thought and expected this film to the be the launching of the 'Dark Universe' is absolutely baffling. Just so many questions here both in front of and behind the camera. The ending sequence literally made me pained. I went in with an open mind thinking maybe it could be better than the '99 effort but boy was I so entirely wrong.
Your opinion on 99 mummy is flat out stupid.

And while I hated the cruise mummy, I have to say the design of that mummy was fairly badass. Sofia Boutella killed it. Sucks she was wasted on such a stinker. Russel Crowe too.

Your opinion on 99 mummy is flat out stupid.

Nathan Fillion The Rookie Abc GIF by ABC Network

So I found out earlier tonight that a sequel to Becky came out, called The Wrath of Becky, I just finished watching it and I honestly loved it just as much as the first one.

If you’re looking for a fun couple of movies, I highly recommend checking those two out.

Honestly just wondering how Catholic this movie will be since that's such a big part of the original and William Peter Blatty's work.

Like the banned trailer callback but I had hoped it'd be a little nastier. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be alright (and I'm sure DGG's Exorcist III will be crazy)

Reactions: belloq87