Horror Movies Thread | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It looks…typical? Common? “I think I’ve seen this film before” and I didn’t like the ending
Aside from Ellen Burstyn coming back (which is great) and the use of "Tubular Bells," there's nothing here to indicate this is anything more than just another of the countless possession movies we've gotten over the years.

What is making this an EXORCIST movie, specifically? It's unclear.

Honestly just wondering how Catholic this movie will be since that's such a big part of the original and William Peter Blatty's work.
The fact that there doesn't seem to be a priest among the main characters is probably our answer. The "every religion, every culture" line would say to me they're going to try to have this be as secular as possible. You can understand why that would be the approach in 2023, but at the same time, Blatty's voice is inextricably Catholic. And an EXORCIST story (one that hopes to be good, anyway) has to be informed by Blatty, so...

Good luck to them threading that needle!

Reactions: Allison
The fact that there doesn't seem to be a priest among the main characters is probably our answer. The "every religion, every culture" line would say to me they're going to try to have this be as secular as possible. You can understand why that would be the approach in 2023, but at the same time, Blatty's voice is inextricably Catholic. And an EXORCIST story (one that hopes to be good, anyway) has to be informed by Blatty, so...
Would people have really been that bothered that their religion wasn't represented in an exorcism movie? This strikes me as the kind of overthink that causes more problems than it solves. If you're trying to represent absolutely every form of exorcism within this movie, you stand a larger chance of offending or misrepresenting those under-represented religious groups than you would by making fun of the most dominant religious group in Western culture, which has already withstood decades of ridicule and examination within Western popular culture. You essentially get into a Raya and the Last Dragon problem where, by trying to represent everybody, you strain your capacities and end up representing no one.

And again, do we need representation from an Exorcist film? You tackle Catholicism in an exorcism film because you're punching up rather than down, and in the years since the original Exorcist film, it's become a softer target.

Reactions: Jake S
I think that The Exorcist is one of the greatest horror films of all time. That being said, I saw it at an early age and it left an imprint on that still scares me.

When the teaser posters dropped for Believer a few days ago, they definitely looked creepy. I hadn't been following this film's development at all and just recently found out that it was directed by Green, which makes me a little apprehensive as I wasn't a huge fan of the new Halloween franchise.

Regarding the trailer though, it feels about a minute and half too long. It seems to kind of follow a formula that most reboot/sequel films have but I guess I'll reserve judgement until it actually comes out. I loved the "banned" trailer nod at the end.

Reactions: belloq87
An new Exorcist movie in 2023 will inevitably be diffuse. All the Blatty/Friedkin thematic specificities will be ironed down in favor of stuff that looks cool in a trailer -- and I'm absolutely sure all the worthwhile stuff is in that trailer.

I don't watch trailers for that reason, but I'm not really looking forward to this either way.

To dust this thread off…

It looks…typical? Common? “I think I’ve seen this film before” and I didn’t like the ending

To reiterate what I said in the HHN forum, it's impressive how this looks more generic than the many possession/exorcism films that have come out lately.

Not helping the matter is A24's Talk to Me releases this weekend, a possession film which has a lot of good buzz surrounding it, and it looks far fresher and creepier than what E:B is showing us so far.

To reiterate what I said in the HHN forum, it's impressive how this looks more generic than the many possession/exorcism films that have come out lately.

Not helping the matter is A24's Talk to Me releases this weekend, a possession film which has a lot of good buzz surrounding it, and it looks far fresher and creepier than what E:B is showing us so far.
I'm very excited for Talk to Me!

I had the opportunity to go to a screening of Talk To Me last week and I’m seriously bummed I couldn’t make it out because that movie looks like a really fun watch.

• Wow
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Bad news guys: FNAF has officially been rated PG-13. And all the 12/13 year olds wet themselves with joy. No way I’m seeing this in theaters now. You couldn’t pay me to sit in a theater with its target demographic. I’ll just watch it on Peacock. Hope it gets an R cut on blu-ray.

It getting rated PG-13 after initially being rated R honestly makes me think it's getting an exclusive theatrical release, which might be good for it in the long term (e.g. more incentive to make more movies)

• Wow
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Saw Talk To Me last night. Absolute top-notch horror about the severed, embalmed hand of a medium that is turned into a risky party game by a bunch of hapless, reckless teens.

Talk To Me tackles the tired “girl possessed” genre from a unique and different angle. It’s aware it’s dealing with some serious, heavy subject material and treats the proceedings accordingly (Luckily, there are some moments of humor). When the horror hits, the film doesn’t pull any punches. Talk To Me is often graphic, bloody, gory, horrific, and violent.

Talk To Me is basically “play stupid games win stupid prizes” the movie. It’s a well-told tale of stupidity and tragedy that takes audiences on a wild rollercoaster ride of emotions. This might be a film that challenges some as a good deal of it may be rough to watch. It also proves that films don’t need to be long to be great. There has been a lot of hype around Talk To Me (Personally, I’d compare it to It Follows or Hereditary). Luckily the end product is something intense, thrilling, and totally unexpected.

5 Stars

Looks mind numbingly dumb ("yeah, we scam people out of not removing their tumors, it's a great business plan!") but it's Saw so I'm sure it'll be guilty pleasure fun.

It's pretty clear they're going more for a very twisted anti-hero approach for this film, so they gotta' give Jigsaw a set of scumbags to off. That and admittedly the line "Of all the men to cheat, you picked John Kramer?" is a pretty darn good one.

Bad news guys: FNAF has officially been rated PG-13. And all the 12/13 year olds wet themselves with joy. No way I’m seeing this in theaters now. You couldn’t pay me to sit in a theater with its target demographic. I’ll just watch it on Peacock. Hope it gets an R cut on blu-ray.
I still have faith in the movie, but yeah I understand not wanting to share a theater with that demographic. The 12/13 year olds are only interested because of FNAF Security Breach lol.

That game is barely horror, so that's probably why it attracts them.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
I might be slightly concerned that he'd veer too much into comedy if he's also going to be writing, but he certainly knows how to direct a slick-looking horror film.