Horror Movies Thread | Page 60 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If you go in wanting Friday the 13th Part 20: Jason's Awake Again, I think you will be disappointed. That's quite clearly not the point. Like I said this is more than just a slasher film. It's brutal and bloody but absolutely gorgeous and still and deep at times.

It's not JUST you're following Jason around the entire time, it's deeper than that and I think it gets pretty meta at points.

I don't think the director's intention was to 'troll' people, it's his art piece and his vision.
i have to look at the reviews again, I saw like a bunch of reviews and read others, people on reddit or YouTube, somewhere they said that there was an interview where the director said he wanted to annoy his audience on purpose or something. I'll look it up. sure someone could be lying, but it was different people saying it

There's one interview where Chris Nash is asked if he thought about the risks in potentially alienating the viewers and he answered by saying there were times where they doubted themselves and asked themselves if they were making something 'too antagonistic' for an audience to enjoy and whenever they had those questions they 'dialed back to the rules they had set in the first place'.

They had a vision and they saw it through. I also think that even as a slasher lover, there's nothing in this movie that makes me 'angry' as a fan of the genre. The ending will be highly contentious and debated but I loved it the more I thought about it.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I think people here who are intrigued by In a Violent Nature but confused about its approach might be interested in reading up on the Slow Cinema movement. Basically a genre of experimental film that focuses on long takes and minimalism and often features long stretches of people doing nothing but walking. Think the part of Twin Peaks season 3 where you just watch a dude sweep the floor for 2 minutes. Some directors in the genre have talked about the approach being to deliberately "bore" the audience.

That might sound counterintuitive (why would you want to make a movie that's deliberately boring?) But the best practitioners have made some truly hypnotic and transcendent work. It's not really about "boring" the audience, more about reflecting life as it is. Life, oftentimes, is boring, repetitive, alienating, sad without being overly tragic, lonely without being bitter. Slow cinema is a movement that attempts to reflect that.

That sounds like what this movie is going for, trying to make a movie about drawing someone into someone's empty, simple life. It's just that this time, that someone is Jason Voorhees.

Last edited:
I think people here who are intrigued by In a Violent Nature but confused about its approach might be interested in reading up on the Slow Cinema movement. Basically a genre of experimental film that focuses on long takes and minimalism and often features long stretches of people doing nothing but walking. Think the part of Twin Peaks season 3 where you just watch a dude sweep the floor for 2 minutes. Some directors in the genre have talked about the approach being to deliberately "bore" the audience.

That might sound counterintuitive (why would you want to make a movie that's deliberately boring?) But the best practitioners have made some truly hypnotic and transcendent work. It's not really about "boring" the audience, more about reflecting life as it is. Life, oftentimes, is boring, repetitive, alienating, sad without being overly tragic, lonely without being bitter. Slow cinema is a movement that attempts to reflect that.

That sounds like what this movie is going for, trying to make a movie about drawing someone into an empty, simple life.

Precisely, especially with regards to the roles of the characters you'd typically find in a slasher film, most notably the mute monster and the heroic final girl.

In lots of ways IaVN is more of a nature documentary than it is a traditional slasher film. It's bonkers and I love it dearly.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95

That sounds like what this movie is going for, trying to make a movie about drawing someone into someone's empty, simple life. It's just that this time, that someone is Jason Voorhees.
that's pretty interesting. I gotta see what other movies are like that. makes me wonder what else exists

Precisely, especially with regards to the roles of the characters you'd typically find in a slasher film, most notably the mute monster and the heroic final girl.

In lots of ways IaVN is more of a nature documentary than it is a traditional slasher film. It's bonkers and I love it dearly.
you didn't think it was too long? or needed parts cut?

that's pretty interesting. I gotta see what other movies are like that. makes me wonder what else exists

If you want to check out Slow Cinema, I recommend starting with Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives. It's a Thai film by Apichatpong Weerasethakul, who's probably the most famous modern Slow Cinema guy (which isn't saying much, since he's still not very famous lol).

It's very slow, but also pretty zany and even a little funny (the plot features ghosts, bigfoot-like creatures and a god in the shape of a fish who does something pretty outrageous along with more standard slice-of-life stuff). Who knows, you might end up loving it

Delayed response but I think that's by design nor do I think any of the extended tracking shots felt boring at all. Outside of the initial shots of Johnny rising and following the kids on their way to their cabin, every sequence has variables and characters to think about exactly what is going to happen.

• Wow
Anyone into found footage in the style of Host—I recommend checking out Invited. It’s currently up on the Terror Films YT channel, but will be available on Tubi, etc. later this month.

The stories of the making of that film are wild, it’s terrible to see something almost reminiscent of the behind the scenes of the original TCM happened again as if nothing was learned the first go around.
are you talking about the lack of food and sleep deprivation?

Last edited:
Reactions: saint.piss

Lovely talent but like, what are we doing here guys. What do we gain by remaking this one in particular. It's not like it's a commercial play.
First Hollywood remake greenlit entirely based on Letterboxd stats.

Lovely talent but like, what are we doing here guys. What do we gain by remaking this one in particular. It's not like it's a commercial play.
never heard of it but now that i check google, ive seen those pictures in memes

never heard of it but now that i check google, ive seen those pictures in memes
It's a very good cult/arthouse horror movie. Imagine Shape of Water made by a really bitter divorced guy on LSD. Isabelle Adjani gives one of the best performances put to film. The subway scene (the one in all the memes) is iconic.

It's also an intensely personal movie that draws most of its power from the director's authorship and the circumstances of his life (Zulawski really was getting divorced at the time), so I really don't know what a remake would accomplish. Unless Parker Finn has a really novel take, all I can imagine is one of those play-the-hits Disney live-action remakes for the Letterboxd crowd.