Illumination presents Sing | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination presents Sing

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

drumset333

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2013
Has anybody seen this? I had no idea Illumination is making another movie this Christmas. Has a pretty big cast as well.

I'll say this, I am not excited at ALL for this film.

Its just that it seems VERY (almost, too much) Cliché, and even then. I have better hopes for SLOP, as its something that's charming and looks like it has great potential. "Sing"; I don't see ANY potential for this film, even if its being released for the Holiday season (atleast..I guess the kids will have it?)

Being into animation, I knew about this film when it was first announced back in November.

To be really blunt, I wasn't excited for this back then and I'm sure not changing my opinion now.

Let me fill you all in on something that was announced back in November, Illumination has been touting that this film will have 85 "Hit Songs"...that alone should be a massive red flag.

Yeah, this doesn't look that great. But the first teasers are usually just cutesy and then the full trailer actually reveals that there's a plot.

Wow, that looks really bad and cliche. However, if it's a financial success, it could make a great animatronic show at US (to replace Shrek?) or IOA (to go with SLoP).

Hey, and as terrible as this looks... at least it's better than this:

Dreamworks, you go from KFP3 to THIS?!

The movie is indeed the poster child of "Meh." But I do applaud Illumination for at least trying to do something different. I can't think of many other animated movies with a similar premise.

I know the trailer looked bad but those who saw a clip at Cinema Con are raving about the first 20 minutes of it are raving about it singing its Zootopia meets American idol in a good way.

Moana will be coming out around the same time so I just highly doubt that this film will do big business. Actually, with 3 animated films coming out within weeks of each other, they could all suffer.

Moana will be coming out around the same time so I just highly doubt that this film will do big business. Actually, with 3 animated films coming out within weeks of each other, they could all suffer.

Yeah, but these films usually only cost around $70 million. Even if it only did $200 million worldwide, it should still make a tidy profit.

Yeah, but these films usually only cost around $70 million. Even if it only did $200 million worldwide, it should still make a tidy profit.
Not necessarily once you add in the marketing budget. Of course it depends how much they spend on marketing.

I thought this was going to be a new show at Epcot at first glance.

It looks ok, the sheep singing gave me a small laugh.

Not Sing, but it's animated competitor, Trolls, released the first song in promotion of the movie at midnight. Justin Timberlake wrote/composed the music for the movie and also stars in the film.

Not Sing, but it's animated competitor, Trolls, released the first song in promotion of the movie at midnight. Justin Timberlake wrote/composed the music for the movie and also stars in the film.

I thought Dreamworks would have realized better after Home. It is really clear though a lot of studios are trying to get that Happy level radio hit after Despicable Me 2.

I thought Dreamworks would have realized better after Home. It is really clear though a lot of studios are trying to get that Happy level radio hit after Despicable Me 2.
Oh definitely. I wouldn't be surprised if this song does pretty well though as it has a "summer-vibe" too it and Timberlake's vocals and name attached to it. As someone who DJs on the side, this song will make for a pretty good dance song with the right remix, too.

So when I saw Civil War they were showing a newer trailer for SLoP, and I noticed something very peculiar in it.

Apparently in SLoP they show a bus which has a big advertisement for SING on it, now it's one thing to do a callback/reference to a studio's previous film. (In the case of Zootopia, do not only that but also playfully spoof upcoming films) But literally showing the poster for a film coming out the same year?

I know buses have advertisements, but that kind of move always feels a bit cheap n' desperate in a film.

So when I saw Civil War they were showing a newer trailer for SLoP, and I noticed something very peculiar in it.

Apparently in SLoP they show a bus which has a big advertisement for SING on it, now it's one thing to do a callback/reference to a studio's previous film. (In the case of Zootopia, do not only that but also playfully spoof upcoming films) But literally showing the poster for a film coming out the same year?

I know buses have advertisements, but that kind of move always feels a bit cheap n' desperate in a film.
It sounds like a small thing that most won't actually even notice. And as you said, buses have ads for upcoming films on them, so I don't have too much of a problem with it.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts