Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, but him nor his company is making the movie, so his opinion has nothing to do with this.
The animated movies made in his style, just as entertaining for adults as they are for kids, are the ones that are more likely to be remembered for generations. Funny how that works isn’t it?

Laika is more likely to leave FF than not given the lack of profitability out of their movies.

I wouldn't go that far....they are working on three stop motion tv show concepts based off the IPs for working title television but more so the exclusive distribution will be gone.

Nintendo was going to partner with a company with a strong base in Japan. Period. You have to remember the mindset of Japanese culture and how they think in terms of who they filmed with. With that, only three US studios have a major studio presence in Japan. Universal, Sony, and Warner Bros. Warner Bros did not have a good track record with good adaptions of Japanese IPs for mainstream consumption on the international market. Sony is a huge competitor of Nintendo with their own gaming division. That leaves Universal.

Universal already has had a partnership with Nintendo prior with hosting the Nintendo World Championship, filming of the Wizard, as well as the theme park deal. They also have a say in the upcoming Detective Pikachu film that they are distributing for Legendary as part of the deal allows them final cut approval as well as Nintendo and the Pokémon company.

Regarding DreamWorks VS Illuminations; DreamWorks has stated they are going to outsource their animation to cheaper studios with Captain Underpants being the start. In addition, Illumination just got huge adobe and other software/rendering upgrades to increase their pipeline output with the hope by 2019 they can put out 4 films a year.

As for Disney VS Universal, I need to point out all the Illumination films have been written by the same group of people. The animators are college students.

Laika deal with Universal is up after this film next year. I haven't heard rumors of renewal but I have heard Paramount is trying to poach.

If Universal does get Zelda, its most likely going to go to Focus Features rather than the main label

I actually can see how Paramount wanting to get in on that Laika makes sense, especially on that Travis Knight seems has potential for that Bumblebee movie (which, he is CEO of Laika).

With Nintendo, I would expect them to have creative oversight on all Nintendo Animated films, and that this could have the ability to ensure a sense of quality control, while also giving Illumination the chance to explore the Mushroom Kingdom or the world of Mario, and allowing the characters to be expanded upon more with Nintendo's consent.

In fact, I almost would wonder if we could see a similar relationship to this, as how J.K.R. works with Warner Brothers on the Harry Potter film rights, ensuring a sense of quality control while also giving good films to work on with individuals.

Reactions: quinnmac000
With Nintendo, I would expect them to have creative oversight on all Nintendo Animated films, and that this could have the ability to ensure a sense of quality control, while also giving Illumination the chance to explore the Mushroom Kingdom or the world of Mario, and allowing the characters to be expanded upon more with Nintendo's consent.

In fact, I almost would wonder if we could see a similar relationship to this, as how J.K.R. works with Warner Brothers on the Harry Potter film rights, ensuring a sense of quality control while also giving good films to work on with individuals.

I would say that I wouldn't worry much about the film until a director/screenwriter gets announced.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I actually can see how Paramount wanting to get in on that Laika makes sense, especially on that Travis Knight seems has potential for that Bumblebee movie (which, he is CEO of Laika).

But, some of the aspects of Harry Potter were still adapted poorly.

I would say that I wouldn't worry much about the film until a director/screenwriter gets announced.

Yup, and even then; as I think bringing back Mario + Rabbids may be a good example in a way. A lot of the Rabbid's humor, stems very much similar to Illumination's Minions (while the Rabbids were Pre-Minion's), and that they found a way to make the humor of the Rabbid's work alongside elements of the Mario Franchise in the crossover rather nicely, giving unique humor that doesn't always revolve on low brow humor.

Not to mention, a LOT of people were very angry about the idea of it, until they were shown what the game was, and that it surprised a lot of people. If they could do something similar with a Mario story, that keeps it simple and close to the heart of the games, we may be in really good hands in regards to Mario.

But, some of the aspects of Harry Potter were still adapted poorly.

And I would agree, on some of the aspects. A lot of the Potter franchise for Warner was done rather well for itself, and while problems will always occur in film, television, and gaming; we shouldn't always look at the wrongs and base a franchise, or a company off of those few mistakes.

If Nintendo has the control that they want, I don't think this may be as much of a problem, especially if they can get Miyamoto involved on the creative process of this. I think there is a lot of potential with a Mario film, and it's been something a lot of companies have been looking to adapt for years. It makes sense that it happen's sooner or later, but that patience and open impressions should be something to watch about in regards to this film project.

Reactions: Mike S
Of note: I think this deal is real....Nintendo of America was asked about the deal and they stated they had no comment. When it came to Zelda for Netflix, they released a denial.

Also the deal for one movie has been going on for over a year. I'm pretty sure for a year of pre-pre production they have a story and concept down and Nintendo liked what they heard

The animated movies made in his style, just as entertaining for adults as they are for kids, are the ones that are more likely to be remembered for generations. Funny how that works isn’t it?

Yes. Because when Nintendo started searching for a studio, they put "remembered for generations" at the top of their priority list.

As that is their priority, I can't wait for the Omnimover Mario Kart ride with tons of single axis AA's as those have been remembered for generations....

Of note: I think this deal is real....Nintendo of America was asked about the deal and they stated they had no comment. When it came to Zelda for Netflix, they released a denial.

That actually makes me wonder, as now could be a good time to announce a large joint-venture collaboration with NBCU/Comcast, to reaffirm SNW for the three mainline UPR park's and the Illumination deal. It could be very simple, and that nothing would really need to be said, in a way.

Reactions: quinnmac000
That actually makes me wonder, as now could be a good time to announce a large joint-venture collaboration with NBCU/Comcast, to reaffirm SNW for the three mainline UPR park's and the Illumination deal. It could be very simple, and that nothing would really need to be said, in a way.

I'm so glad you brought this up because it told me reminded me Miyamoto stated this regarding theme park development at an investors Q&A and for some reason its ties into what you said;

"This is more than just a simple licensing deal between Universal and Nintendo," Miyamoto said. "It is a highly collaborative project between both companies, including a large number of Nintendo developers, myself included, so please look forward to more information to come."

Then I went back to the first movie talk and I'm guessing Universal promised him more than just synergy:

“We’ve had, over the years, a number of people who have come to us and said ‘Why don’t we make a movie together—or we make a movie and you make a game and we’ll release them at the same time?’,” Miyamoto told Fortune at this year’s E3. “Because games and movies seem like similar mediums, people’s natural expectation is we want to take our games and turn them into movies. … I’ve always felt video games, being an interactive medium, and movies, being a passive medium, mean the two are quite different.”

Still, he says, as times change and the company looks to broaden its focus, Nintendo is open to discussions.

“As we look more broadly at what is Nintendo’s role as an entertainment company, we’re starting to think more and more about how movies can fit in with that—and we’ll potentially be looking at things like movies in the future,” said Miyamoto.

I’d like to see a buddy comedy that focuses on the relationship of Mario & Luigi as they once again set out to rescue Peach. I mean, if it’s a movie called Super Mario Bros., why not?
Yes. Because when Nintendo started searching for a studio, they put "remembered for generations" at the top of their priority list.

As that is their priority, I can't wait for the Omnimover Mario Kart ride with tons of single axis AA's as those have been remembered for generations....
Why are against having something better than a shallow comedy?

Listen, I love Walt and what he built...but outside of nostalgia let’s not pretend most of the movies he made were really “As entertaining for adults as children”.

I’d like to see a buddy comedy that focuses on the relationship of Mario & Luigi as they once again set out to rescue Peach. I mean, if it’s a movie called Super Mario Bros., why not?
I like the idea of something on a similar scale of cleverness to the LEGO Movie. Not only featuring a good story with iconic characters we love, but with an overall theme of family, childhood, nostalgia, etc. that connects with why we all connect with Nintendo in the first place. I think exploring Mario and Luigi's relationship could be a good way to explore that. I'd also hope that they use the RPG characterizations to keep the movie more interesting and fun; such as Peach's more tough and clever side, and Bowser's hilarious overconfidence.

Watch the Animal Crossing Movie which essentially is nintendo trying to produce a deep and emotionally comedy. The movie is interesting especially the last 30 minutes....so after that and the last Super Mario bros I hope they realize things just ain't that deep son. You can read the plot below...

The film opens with Ai, an 11-year old young girl, moving into the Animal Village during the summer. After being put to work by Tom Nook to deliver goods, Ai befriends four of the village's residents: Bouquet, Sally, Albert, and Yū, participating in several activities. Ai begins to find a series of anonymous messages in bottles that state that a miracle will occur during the upcoming Winter Festival if pine trees are planted in specific points of the village. Ai complies with the messages and begins planting the trees, half-believing that the messages may have been placed by aliens.

During autumn, Bouquet scolds Ai for not attending Sally's farewell party, which comes as a big surprise. Ai becomes heartbroken, learning that Margie has moved away to embark on a career in fashion design. Ai ends up at the museum café, and ends up crying when K.K. Bossa plays, as the song reminds her of Sally. Bianca scolds Ai, and tells her that she should be happy as a friend for Sally. Ai then responds by saying that she is happy, but she is instead sad that Sally never told her anything, and leaves the café. Sally sends a letter of apology to Ai, explaining that a goodbye would have been too upsetting, and encourages her to embark on her own personal journey. Bouquet apologizes to Ai for her harsh reaction.

Winter comes, and all the pine trees that Ai has planted have fully grown and are decorated with Christmas lights. A spaceship crash-lands in the middle of the forest, and Johnny, a seagull, emerges. Johnny, who had planted the bottles in order to make an entrance dressed as an alien, asks the villagers to help locate some of the pieces that broke off his ship during the descent. Ai, Bouquet, Yū, and Albert head towards a cave, where Yū claims to have seen one of the pieces fall. The entrance, though, is blocked up by a large boulder from a recent event. Though the team tries to move the boulder, it eventually turns out it is too heavy for them to move. Sally then appears and helps unseal the cave.

The five retrieve the missing piece and return to Johnny, who they discover had already obtained them all. The missing piece turns out to be an injured UFO, one of a larger group that was attracted to the village due to the pattern formed by Ai's lit-up pine trees. The injured UFO reunites with its group, and as they depart, create a constellation in the night sky resembling Ai. Ai then wins the Winter Festival contest for the best decoration, leaving her feeling for the first time as a true member of the village.

Last edited:
Listen, I love Walt and what he built...but outside of nostalgia let’s not pretend most of the movies he made were really “As entertaining for adults as children”.
I’m including all movies made with that philosophy, not just his.

Shrek is a movie that could be considered entertaining for both. Same with the first Despicable Me and also Lego Movie.

Better is a relative term. Not every movie can or should be deep. It takes all types. And animated movie for kids are almost always going to be light comedies. Your personal desires for Nintendo don't change that.

Watch the Animal Crossing Movie which essentially is nintendo trying to produce a deep and emotionally comedy. The movie is interesting especially the last 30 minutes....so after that and the last Super Mario bros I hope they realize things just ain't that deep son. You can read the plot below...
None of that means they can’t do better than previous efforts.

Better is a relative term. Not every movie can or should be deep. It takes all types. And animated movie for kids are almost always going to be light comedies. Your personal desires for Nintendo don't change that.
You people act like I’m asking for a 2001 a Space Odyssey type movie when I’m thinking more along the lines of Toy Story and The Lego Movie. Jesus Christ. Sorry for wanting something a bit higher than something along the lines of Minions or Lorax.

You people act like I’m asking for a 2001 a Space Odyssey type movie when I’m thinking more along the lines of Toy Story and The Lego Movie. Jesus Christ. Sorry for wanting something a bit higher than something along the lines of Minions or Lorax.

I love Minions and Lorax. So does my kid. We've watched Lego Movie once and rarely watch any of the Toy Story movies. Like I said. It's relative.

Have you read what I envisi
on for a Mario film!? :saywhat::tongue:

If they could do something similar with a Mario story, that keeps it simple and close to the heart of the games, we may be in really good hands in regards to Mario.