Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I read something interesting today which may explain why UNI is revamping Hulk first....

Marvel Studios wants to make standalone Hulk films but Universal does not have film production rights but they still maintain Distribution rights meaning they will be the ones who say yes or no to greenlight the project for distribution. Mind you this was back in April when we kept hearing mumblings of the Universal/Marvel deals going down. Maybe this was also discussed.

RUFFALO: As far as aHulk movie, a standaloneHulk movie, Marvel doesn’t really have the rights to that yet. That’s still Universal’s property, so there’s that issue. That’s a big impediment to moving forward with that. Now I don’t think that’s insurmountable, by the way, but I don’t know where it’s going from here for me.

And there’s the kicker. Even Marvel wants to do a standalone Hulk, they have to go through Universal. I assume that the studio doesn’t have the same problem they have with Spider-Man where they’re simply leasing the character from a studio (in Spidey’s case, it’s from Sony) since Marvel produced The Incredible Hulk. But according to Ruffalo, Universal still gets to distribute solo Hulk movie, and perhaps that could be a problem for Marvel’s parent company, Disney.

I read something interesting today which may explain why UNI is revamping Hulk first....

Marvel Studios wants to make standalone Hulk films but Universal does not have film production rights but they still maintain Distribution rights meaning they will be the ones who say yes or no to greenlight the project for distribution. Mind you this was back in April when we kept hearing mumblings of the Universal/Marvel deals going down. Maybe this was also discussed.

Well that is indeed quirky. Until this website, I never knew that distribution was equally as important as the film itself. It is a wonder that anything ever gets made. What politics and big name schmoozing must go on...

Reactions: anihilnation
Why does universal having the distribution rights explains why UNI is revamping Hulk first?
Does Uni want to portray the movies more then the comics and because of the power they have they regarding Hulk they can go that route?
In the end Disney needs to be ok with how they portray the ip, right?

Last edited:
Well that is indeed quirky. Until this website, I never knew that distribution was equally as important as the film itself. It is a wonder that anything ever gets made. What politics and big name schmoozing must go on...
Yes, the film industry gets really complicated at times. Even things like home video products are often split between studios. And sometimes foreign & domestic distribution are different.

Reactions: anihilnation
Why does universal having the distribution rights explains why UNI is revamping Hulk first?
Does Uni want to portray the movies more then the comics and because of the power they have they regarding Hulk they can go that route?
In the end Disney needs to be ok with how they portray the ip, right?

Hulk distribution equals free money for universal if Marvel makes flm....they don't have to pay for production and get cut of profits. Its a win-win. Universal revamping hulk ride first shows Disney they will do their IP justice also bringing more guests to Florida which a rising tides raising all ships situation...Thats how I'm seeing it.

Got to say goodbye to my good friend Hulk yesterday. Thank you for all the great rides sir. Hulk rest.

Hulk distribution equals free money for universal if Marvel makes flm....they don't have to pay for production and get cut of profits. Its a win-win. Universal revamping hulk ride first shows Disney they will do their IP justice also bringing more guests to Florida which a rising tides raising all ships situation...Thats how I'm seeing it.

That could be, thanks.
So do you expect it'll have the aesthetics of the movies because it would be a better sell for the movies?

The Universal-distribution-rights theory is reaching. Film rights and Theme Park rights are completely different animals. It's just a coincidence that Hulk is getting refurbed and Universal still retains theatrical distribution rights.

Reactions: JungleSkip
I would be willing to bet a reasonable sum that the trains will have the new vest restraints. B&M are clearly trying to move towards these on all their models, given that even the newly announced Dive Machine at Cedar Point will have them.

So I'd say no solid OTSR will be correct, but the vest will be there which is pretty much as restricting in terms of upper body movement. The new restraints have their critics, but personally I like them.