Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hi guys!! *stereotypical first-time-poster comment here*
I saw a few pages back your were wondering what the definitive reason as to why all this work on Hulk is being done. I think I may have a bit of info on that subject, which is why I've finally created an account. About a week ago I completely out of the blue met someone who was a lead mechanic when IOA opened. He was heavily involved in the opening of Hulk and DC/DD. He was one of the first people to ride hulk when they began testing. While I cannot definitively prove his record or that everything he says is true/accurate he really seemed to know what he was talking about and had pictures to back a lot of this up.

Anyways, he says that about 1-2 years after Hulk opened his team began noticing very small stress fractures in the steel, nothing that needed immediate attention, but something to keep a close eye on over the years. He and his team put together a proposal to management that involved replacing a large chunk of track in the high-stress areas and replace them with beefier track pieces. They also recommended some technical improvements (i.e.: better launch tech) to keep the ride operating at 100%. He told me that his plan is the one that they are using for this refurb (obviously along with other rv changes and other improvements). I will see him again later this week/early next week and I can ask him any other questions you guys might have. Sorry for the long post, I was just super excited I met this guy and couldn't wait to share with you guys.

seems legit

seems legit

Yeah, it does. Sometime in the past 6 years at least one of the rails was replaced. Lifts were in the pits and then there was a section of what appeared to be the furthest loopy thing into the lagoon that showed rewelded joints that were all shiny silver (in photos). It was said by someone here at the time that a section of the rails was replaced. It was all done overnight.

Reactions: Mad Dog
OK universal on with it already. I guess they're going to take their precious time taking down the signature part of the ride.

OrlandoParksNews.com just posted a new 2 part Hulk construction update. And they compare pictures from last week to those of the present. Lots of new Hulk pics.

They're stringing out the drama.:)
I know right..just come on with it already they kill me with their top secret attitude about everything they do. I can't take this for another 7 or so months I need to know facts. They act as if spilling the plans would deter guests from the grand re-opening.

I have conformation that there are dozens of old track pieces staged with old railings and break runs behind MIB. Seems that area will be the staging area and that most of the old track will be reused. Has anyone else heard this?

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I have conformation that there are dozens of old track pieces staged with old railings and break runs behind MIB. Seems that area will be the staging area and that most of the old track will be reused. Has anyone else heard this?

No but I know the area is for Hulk use

Hmm, thats a twist. Maybe taking the track down and replacing railings as needed. Fixing cracks, repainting, etc. That would mean the ones that ended up in the scrap pile would either be ones that are just too far gone, or, still my guess, replaced by a different layout. I'd love to know what they really have planned for this.

Was at the park today and its so sad to see the hulk down! I went on Dr. Doom's and had a perfect view of the entire hulk site. The only track left is from the launch until it goes under the bridge. The back park of the ride is only dirt and concrete footers. The queue is a huge mess!
291ghlx.jpg

14azbs5.jpg

Reactions: Blue
Was at the park today and its so sad to see the hulk down! I went on Dr. Doom's and had a perfect view of the entire hulk site. The only track left is from the launch until it goes under the bridge. The back park of the ride is only dirt and concrete footers. The queue is a huge mess!

I was also at the park today and I echo those sentiments. It's REALLY sad to see half of the Hulk missing, the busy Hulk entry plaza walled off, and most of all, no roar. I know he'll be back next year better and badder than ever, but his absence is noticeable in the park. On a side note, the metal detector nonsense is SO annoying!!! OMG, it makes riding an unbelievable PITA, and re-rides are even more so.

I swear the dude who's twitter the photos are from is at the parks every day of the year!