Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 96 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm sure there was another or maybe this one was moved to where the guest drop off and security is just now in the large circle that connects the walkways to the car parks and CityWalk.

Some more I beams have been put up. Taken from Screamscape FB page.

1901306_10153965514582464_914001064154794313_n.jpg

So could these I-beams be a volume switch for the Hulk's roar?

I really know nothing about this stuf, but from reading these boards over the last few years, I think I recall folks saying the roar was made louder by not filling the supports with sand. There was then talks of the Hulk losing his roar with this referb...then talk of the roar being too loud in other parts of the park...the hotels, the neighbors...now I think the I-beams are footers, is that different than supports? Is this not what was there before?

I do know that water carries sound real well. The one time I stayed at the Polly, we had an MK view room that I really wanted to hang out in, but man, I heard that dang castle stage so sooooo often and it sounded better across the lake than it ever did out in front of the castle...

So I was just wondering if the I-beams are a change, could it be part of the plan to quiet down the Hulk a bit?

I really know nothing about this stuf, but from reading these boards over the last few years, I think I recall folks saying the roar was made louder by not filling the supports with sand. There was then talks of the Hulk losing his roar with this referb...then talk of the roar being too loud in other parts of the park...the hotels, the neighbors...now I think the I-beams are footers, is that different than supports? Is this not what was there before?

I do know that water carries sound real well. The one time I stayed at the Polly, we had an MK view room that I really wanted to hang out in, but man, I heard that dang castle stage so sooooo often and it sounded better across the lake than it ever did out in front of the castle...

So I was just wondering if the I-beams are a change, could it be part of the plan to quiet down the Hulk a bit?
I think the roar comes from the wheels and track not being filled, the supports really just keep it all up

I honestly don't think we'll ever know why they've used them. It's probably the most simple reason.

I remain certain that they have been used as part of a new B&M design tweak for structural efficiency.

Seeing how the supports come together, I would think structural integrity as well. They are spreading the weight/forces onto two separate footers instead of just one. However, I am not a mechanical or structural engineer. So, my guess isn't the most reliable.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Seeing how the supports come together, I would think structural integrity as well. They are spreading the weight/forces onto two separate footers instead of just one. However, I am not a mechanical or structural engineer. So, my guess isn't the most reliable.
It would be as such to do with this. I'm guessing the geometry of the old tube supports would be the same, just that these shapes are cheaper and the tubes would be over designed. I've seen the phrase on here before about anyone can build a bridge but only an engineer can build a bridge that just stands up, this would be the best way to view the change.

Reactions: JoeCamel
No new footers were constructed so these I-Beam supports are taking the place of the previous tube supports. I can't believe that it was a cost decision.

Why doesn't one of you write to B&M and ask them why? The few times I have suggested someone do that (with other vendors) they received a very generous response.

Hell, I called the foundry in England to find out if they "created" the park benches as well as the lamp posts on the Uni London waterfront. I called and tricked them as the benches hadn't even shown up yet. As of then, I knew they would.

So write to or call B&M. A plus would be if you speak... German???

Reactions: Mad Dog
No new footers were constructed so these I-Beam supports are taking the place of the previous tube supports. I can't believe that it was a cost decision.
So the new supports are entirely free then? It's a fact that I Beam shapes are cheaper than tubes.

I'll send B&M an email just to clarify what I'm thinking is true.

Sorry, I know I'm coming across as a broken record but as someone who is training to become a structural engineer and hopefully work in rollercoaster design this is the only scenario I see possible.

So the new supports are entirely free then? It's a fact that I Beam shapes are cheaper than tubes.

I'll send B&M an email just to clarify what I'm thinking is true.

Sorry, I know I'm coming across as a broken record but as someone who is training to become a structural engineer and hopefully work in rollercoaster design this is the only scenario I see possible.

So engineering didn't have the last word on supports for a roller coaster? Maybe someone said "We can save $18,000 if we change these overbuilt tube supports to I-Beam construction"? On a job like this there was value engineering?

Looking at where the I-beam supports are located on this and Valravyn, they appear to be at points where the ride would be experiencing high G loads. At the bottom of big hills and such. I'm guessing that they were seeing some stress issues with certain designs and the standard tube supports were cracking welds. With these supports, they are bolted together which should take the vibrations without failure better.

Edit: Exactly zero chance that this has anything to to with cost. These are $20 million machines and are works of art. You don't make a change that affects the look of the piece just for a few hundred bucks.

So engineering didn't have the last word on supports for a roller coaster? Maybe someone said "We can save $18,000 if we change these overbuilt tube supports to I-Beam construction"? On a job like this there was value engineering?
In terms of engineering sense W Shapes (what we're referring to as I Beams, even though beams span horizontally) are cheaper, but buckle much easier. Therefore for longer supports other shapes that can resist this buckling (HSS shapes or tubes) are more appropriate whereas for shorter supports W shapes are fine.

I just question why were they changed. This is the marque for the park. If they flex a little when the trains hit max g's so the force is spread over time I can understand but to save a few thousand on their one of a kind attraction I cannot believe that even entered into the room let alone was the driving force in the decision.

I just question why were they changed. This is the marque for the park. If they flex a little when the trains hit max g's so the force is spread over time I can understand but to save a few thousand on their one of a kind attraction I cannot believe that even entered into the room let alone was the driving force in the decision.
This wouldn't have been a decision Universal would have actively made, just an element of having a newer B&M.

This wouldn't have been a decision Universal would have actively made, just an element of having a newer B&M.

That's what I am saying. UC or UOR would not have had a hand in the decision it would be B&M. The price would be the price no matter what but the reason they were changed would not have been for cost.

That's what I am saying. UC or UOR would not have had a hand in the decision it would be B&M. The price would be the price no matter what but the reason they were changed would not have been for cost.
Cost on B&M's half perhaps. A good structural engineer will always select the most efficient/economic/appropriate member.

Why doesn't one of you write to B&M and ask them why? The few times I have suggested someone do that (with other vendors) they received a very generous response.

Hell, I called the foundry in England to find out if they "created" the park benches as well as the lamp posts on the Uni London waterfront. I called and tricked them as the benches hadn't even shown up yet. As of then, I knew they would.

So write to or call B&M. A plus would be if you speak... German???
I remember that well. I got a good chuckle from that. Teebin's role as a confidence man. The Pink Panther lives. :)

Edit: Exactly zero chance that this has anything to to with cost. These are $20 million machines and are works of art. You don't make a change that affects the look of the piece just for a few hundred bucks.

You absolutely do though. That's the job of an engineer. Structural efficiency and economy is key. Save the pennies and the pounds save themselves. In the same sense that if when painting it they had one option which could do it well for $15000 and one for $14995, the cheapest one will always be picked.

I won't post anymore until I have anymore clarification because I've said all that can be and get the feeling I'm going down too well here haha, but I remain certain that this is just good engineering.