Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 97 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No. Engineers design a project to the specs that they are paid to design them to. If they are told to design it as cheap as possible they will do so. If they are told to design it using only round tubing, they will design it with round tubing. The cheapest option is not always picked. If that paint that saved you $5 will only last a year, they aren't going to go that route. An engineer is not going to make a decision like this and use cost as a justification and actually get it approved. If there is a structural reason that makes sense and it saves money, that's great. But B&M's have had round tubing since they started making them. No one told an engineer to save a few bucks by redesigning the system, and no engineer said hey we can save a hundred thousandth(.00001) of the budget on this project by changing how they look and somehow got that approved by management.

I get that an engineer is supposed to not over-engineer things due to cost, but this is absolutely not what happened here.

No. Engineers design a project to the specs that they are paid to design them to. If they are told to design it as cheap as possible they will do so. If they are told to design it using only round tubing, they will design it with round tubing. The cheapest option is not always picked. If that paint that saved you $5 will only last a year, they aren't going to go that route. An engineer is not going to make a decision like this and use cost as a justification and actually get it approved. If there is a structural reason that makes sense and it saves money, that's great. But B&M's have had round tubing since they started making them. No one told an engineer to save a few bucks by redesigning the system, and no engineer said hey we can save a hundred thousandth(.00001) of the budget on this project by changing how they look and somehow got that approved by management.

I get that an engineer is supposed to not over-engineer things due to cost, but this is absolutely not what happened here.
Asking out of curiosity, are you an engineer?

I'm actually more interested in what the Hulk queue will end up being than the ride itself. Universal has gotten so good with their queue experiences that the entertainment value of an excellent queue & pre shows (FJ, Gringotts, Mummy,DM, Simpsons, SpiderMan, etc.) is nearly as good as the ride.

Reactions: IOAGuy and Fatality
I'm betting not. But neither are you.

Does this REALLY matter?

So about this queue....
No, I'm not an engineer, but after three years in university studying to become a structural engineer with a focus on steel design then yes I feel like I do know more about this situation than the average user on this site. Sorry if that comes across as big headed and of course if someone with better knowledge or better ideas came ahead then I'd be happy to discuss.

Of course at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, just when I was seeing so much discussion as to these 'odd' supports then I thought I'd come forward and offer an explanation which is based in an actual understanding of structural design and not mere speculation.

Anyways, apologies for the atmosphere I fear I may have caused!

No, I'm not an engineer, but after three years in university studying to become a structural engineer with a focus on steel design then yes I feel like I do know more about this situation than the average user on this site. Sorry if that comes across as big headed and of course if someone with better knowledge or better ideas came ahead then I'd be happy to discuss.

Of course at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, just when I was seeing so much discussion as to these 'odd' supports then I thought I'd come forward and offer an explanation which is based in an actual understanding of structural design and not mere speculation.

I totally appreciate your input and your intelligence in the situation - I fully agree. I just wish we could talk about something else.

The ride was suffering from stessfracturing, requiring repairs frequently. No s*** they changed the supports in problem areas.

Reactions: Ryno27 and JoeCamel
Asking out of curiosity, are you an engineer?

No, but I have dealings with them and with companies that use them. This isn't an engineering issue, it's a business issue.

Nothing personal, as I don't know your history, but based on the limited information that you have given, it doesn't seem like you have much experience with real world construction. I'm giving you that you know more about actual engineering than myself. If you were arguing the structural benefits of the H beams versus the round tubing, I'd defer to you. But once you get out of college and work for a firm, you will see that it's not as simple as what the engineer wants. Most construction companies will defer to an engineer due to the need to get stamped drawings and limit their own liability. But engineers are not going to make cost decisions. It is much much more likely that a GC, architect, or whoever is paying for the job would try to convince the engineer to change things to reduce the material costs. This isn't a case where an engineer said that hey we can save a few hundred bucks on this job by swapping out our iconic columns for these H beams and no one above him, at B&M, or Universal had a problem with it. That simply would not happen. Uniformity would be chosen over the minor savings.

Im not going to say any names...but I know of 1 person on here that is just a hole. He always has something negative or just rude to say and I just find myself saying to my phone, (really dude?)

I'm actually more interested in what the Hulk queue will end up being than the ride itself. Universal has gotten so good with their queue experiences that the entertainment value of an excellent queue & pre shows (FJ, Gringotts, Mummy,DM, Simpsons, SpiderMan, etc.) is nearly as good as the ride.

I'm with you on this. I cannot wait to see what the queue is gonna be like... (& smell like).

Reactions: Mad Dog