Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have to staunchly disagree with some of the above sentiments regarding Indy 5. I found it to be a terrific, elegiac end to Ford's tenure under the hat.

The action felt just right in terms of being exciting but remaining plausible for Indy's advanced age. One needs only to look at Charles Bronson's later films or Clint Eastwood's recent output to see how ridiculous having seniors do outlandish acts comes off. Crystal Skull showed that, even in the heightened reality of the Indiana Jones franchise, the action needs to remain somewhat grounded.

I also find the criticism that Indy didn't have much to do with stopping the villains in the end to be quite humorous. Outside of Temple of Doom, Dr. Jones could have stayed home and the conclusions to all the movies would have remained largely the same. The fact that the antagonists stop themselves at the end is pretty much a franchise in-joke at this point.

After the first two, this is my favorite film in the series.

I also find the criticism that Indy didn't have much to do with stopping the villains in the end to be quite humorous. Outside of Temple of Doom, Dr. Jones could have stayed home and the conclusions to all the movies would have remained largely the same. The fact that the antagonists stop themselves at the end is pretty much a franchise in-joke at this point.

The problem is that the finales make sense in the context of those earlier films. They're earned triumphs that outside of Crystal Skull feature Indy showing off his intelligence and resourcefulness to survive (he realizes to shut his eyes in Raiders, remembers his teachings to navigate the Grail trails, etc). I don't think it does in Dial. It doesn't feel right that the villains:

Literally shoot Indiana Jones and have him bleeding out and he never really does anything to get even. He just escapes with Helena and the Nazis just end up getting shot down and crashing. It's just superbly anticlimactic.

I love Indiana Jones and I'll always love Ford playing that character. I grew up running from imaginary rolling boulders in my basement in a cheap fedora knock off. I'll revisit Dial in a few years and I'm sure they'll be parts I enjoy, especially from the man himself. In the immediate aftermath though it just feels like the real black sheep of the franchise, personally.

It's so weird to me because there was this seeming general sense that they somehow made a grand failure for the ages with Crystal Skull and one of the reasons for making Dial was to redeem the character. In the end though they made a worse film (IMO, obviously) that's less memorable, more generic and just less fun and adventurous than the entire series before it. My biggest fear going in was that they would treat the character and this film with soft gloves and such reverence and make it too real and grounded and that's essentially what ended up happening.

Crystal Skull came out right in the beginning of the golden age of short take, hot take, quip riddled, cheap cinematic critical analysis. It was buried by pop culture quite unfairly and I wish Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg and everyone else involved knew how underrated it's become in decade plus after release.
People didn't seem to realize that since it was set in the 50s, it was a homage to cheesy sci-fi-B movies of the era. Just like the original 3 (being set in the 30s) mimicked popular serials of that time

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I'm pretty sure the Flash is going to cost more money int he end

But yeah, the film has parts I like but the tone and the villains plan have gotten worst in my mind as time goes on.

I'll watch some of it then and here but overall the film is mess and wish it was just one last fun adventure over what it was.

I will say how ever.....I meme this line all the time now because...its just so stupid, lol

I'm pretty sure the Flash is going to cost more money int he end

But yeah, the film has parts I like but the tone and the villains plan have gotten worst in my mind as time goes on.

I'll watch some of it then and here but overall the film is mess and wish it was just one last fun adventure over what it was.

I will say how ever.....I meme this line all the time now because...its just so stupid, lol

See I enjoyed that scene lol.
Felt like it was in the same vain as him with a rocket launcher threatening to blow up the Ark or other scenes where he could be bluffing but he's certainly throwing a wrench into plans at the very least. Heck is this is the first time we see really see Voller crack and it was great.

I didn't expect it to be as great as the original trilogy but I enjoyed it. Just happy to get one last film with Harrison Ford and he actually tried in this film.

For those of you who enjoy it cool

But it definitely didn’t live up the even the temple of doom and for the director of Logan this should have been an easy win. He made a movie about an older hero and knocked it out of the park this film just doesn’t work that well

In a world of Disney plus any film can be fine but I want more classics.

I think Indy 5 was always going to be handcuffed due to Harrison Ford's advanced age. They probably would've been better off recasting the role with a younger actor.