Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Indiana Jones Ride at Disney Hollywood Studios?

Studios doesn't really have any "expansion plots" that they can use without replacing. The only one I can think of is near BatB, but it's not incredibly large (although another ride on Sunset is needed). I do agree that the next project should be something in the Animation Courtyard area and use up a lot of that backstage office area. Relocate the offices elsewhere and turn the land into guest space and become that much closer to connecting to the RNRC courtyard.

Replacing can put space to better use though, as seen with SW:GE and TSL. Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular takes up A LOT of land. You could probably put multiple rides/an Indy mini-land on that space. Just to show how it would increase capacity, i'll lay it out here...

Indy has 6 performances tomorrow, with the last being at 6:00 PM. If the theater fits 2,000 per show, that's 12,000 people it can handle on a given day. Not really that many when you think about the entire course of a day. If Disney added a ride there that operated from open to close (7-10:30 tomorrow) and let's conservatively say the capacity is a low 1250/hour, around what Slinky is. Even at that number, it's seeing more guests per day. It would see roughly 19,375 during tomorrow's operation, an increase of over 7,000 on IJSS. If an Indy ride were to see higher numbers, maybe around 1500, it would see 23,350. If it were able to do closer to 2000 - say 1800, it would see 27,900 guests based on tomorrow's operation.

So while replacing may not be something we all want, it can help, especially if what you're replacing is a show. And that's not even taking into account that there may be leftover space for a second ride. Using Saucer's supposed 800 per hour, that would add 12,400 in capacity over the course of a day just in itself. So if we got a major E-ticket (Shanghai Pirates tech is the rumor) and a smaller scale ride, you could replace what currently is only giving you 12,000 in capacity over the course of a day and bring it up to around 40,000 or maybe even higher.

For me, it's not so much about increasing overall park capacity (although that is needed), it's more about adding additional things that I would like to experience. If an Indiana Jones ride were to replace the stunt show, for example, there's no guarantee that Disney would add any kind of secondary attraction along with it. If it were to be added with the stunt show, we have another net gain for the attractions lineup. There's a potentially-usable plot out behind the stunt show heading into the parking lot, is there not?

For me, it's not so much about increasing overall park capacity (although that is needed), it's more about adding additional things that I would like to experience. If an Indiana Jones ride were to replace the stunt show, for example, there's no guarantee that Disney would add any kind of secondary attraction along with it. If it were to be added with the stunt show, we have another net gain for the attractions lineup. There's a potentially-usable plot out behind the stunt show heading into the parking lot, is there not?
The entire parking lot just paved is expansion. And so is the parking behind Indy. Problem is if you use that, you have to replace that parking, so you then have to get a Parking garage approved.

The entire parking lot just paved is expansion. And so is the parking behind Indy. Problem is if you use that, you have to replace that parking, so you then have to get a Parking garage approved.

Would they need to build a garage instead of just clearing more land?

I’d prefer to have a garage, keeps your car in the shade and would probably be a smaller walk instead of having to wait for a tram.

Jim Hill seems pretty confident that the Monsters Inc coaster is back on the cards after Pete Docter’s new promotion to head of Pixar.

Well, that should have been approved years ago!
If it got cut during an expansion that involved Star Wars, i'm not sure when they'll ever go through with it. It was in the original proposals but the parking garages got cut once the land got moved to the LMA/SOA plot.

Would they need to build a garage instead of just clearing more land?

I’d prefer to have a garage, keeps your car in the shade and would probably be a smaller walk instead of having to wait for a tram.

Jim Hill seems pretty confident that the Monsters Inc coaster is back on the cards after Pete Docter’s new promotion to head of Pixar.
I'll believe that the Monster coaster is happening when i'm riding it. This is a project that actually got as far approved as sending out an internal memo to CMs on The Hub back in 2008 or 2009. It was quickly pulled and the project never happened. Now we just have a third Toy Story track in the building where it would've gone.

If it got cut during an expansion that involved Star Wars, i'm not sure when they'll ever go through with it. It was in the original proposals but the parking garages got cut once the land got moved to the LMA/SOA plot.

I'll believe that the Monster coaster is happening when i'm riding it. This is a project that actually got as far approved as sending out an internal memo to CMs on The Hub back in 2008 or 2009. It was quickly pulled and the project never happened. Now we just have a third Toy Story track in the building where it would've gone.

What about the area between TSL and RnRC? Removes the dead end and creates another loop of pathway.

An inverted coaster albeit, a family friendly one seems like the next logical step after Tron to differentiate from all the other coasters on property.

Worst case scenario, Tower of Terror becomes Monsters Inc. Having said that, I think it would be a great retheme if they had the DCA system.

Edit: Just to freak people out.

monsters inc tot.jpg

Last edited:
What about the area between TSL and RnRC? Removes the dead end and creates another loop of pathway.

An inverted coaster albeit, a family friendly one seems like the next logical step after Tron to differentiate from all the other coasters on property.

Worst case scenario, Tower of Terror becomes Monsters Inc. Having said that, I think it would be a great retheme if they had the DCA system.

View attachment 7152
I've been advocating for using the space in-between for quite some time. Every time I mention using the "Animation Courtyard backstage" that's what i'm talking about. However, so much goes on back there operationally that they would need to move quite a bit to other areas in order to make the land usable.

Also, you now have to take into account that there's a giant steel structure themed to look like a giant fence on one side, but completely unthemed on the backside. If they ever are to build back there, they are going to have to place the show buildings just right in order to not make that fence stick out.

I've been advocating for using the space in-between for quite some time. Every time I mention using the "Animation Courtyard backstage" that's what i'm talking about. However, so much goes on back there operationally that they would need to move quite a bit to other areas in order to make the land usable.

Also, you now have to take into account that there's a giant steel structure themed to look like a giant fence on one side, but completely unthemed on the backside. If they ever are to build back there, they are going to have to place the show buildings just right in order to not make that fence stick out.

A bold move could be to move most of the back of house stuff across World Drive with a bridge going over it.

A Monsters Inc land could work in that kind of area because the headquarters are heavily industrial so having other buildings might not be a huge deal providing they're the same sort of style.

On the flip side and to keep this on topic, you put Indiana Jones in there. Make it packed with trees to blend in with Andy's back garden and it should hide a lot from ground level.

dhs acres 2.JPG

A bold move could be to move most of the back of house stuff across World Drive with a bridge going over it.

A Monsters Inc land could work in that kind of area because the headquarters are heavily industrial so having other buildings might not be a huge deal providing they're the same sort of style.

On the flip side and to keep this on topic, you put Indiana Jones in there. Make it packed with trees to blend in with Andy's back garden and it should hide a lot from ground level.

View attachment 7153
That was actually proposed a few years ago. Got shot down, but I could see it making a comeback if/when they use this space in the future.

Also I think you should expand that to take out the Parking garage. The Garage serves no purpose back there if the facilities would be across the street in this scenario. Oh, and Launch bay.

That was actually proposed a few years ago. Got shot down, but I could see it making a comeback if/when they use this space in the future.

Also I think you should expand that to take out the Parking garage. The Garage serves no purpose back there if the facilities would be across the street in this scenario. Oh, and Launch bay.

I did think that about the garage, it would also make things a bit easier for staff to get parked by coming off World Drive. You could probably fit two lands in that area then.

I hope that an expansion is planned next instead of a retheme of something. RnRC could always been retrofitted to Monsters Inc but I’m not sure how that would work with the gravity building to accommodate an inverted coaster as the building was built around the track. Given that it would be a family ride, the speed would be drastically reduced so it would allow for more ride.

DHS is the land of opportunity.

View attachment 7152

Top ten pictures you wish you never saw. ;)

View attachment 7152
This picture made the whole page stretch for me....I'm dizzy

Also, no, don't do this

Just a thought I had, but what if they cloned this ride and gave it an Indiana Jones theme? They already cloned Tron, and this ride is just as popular. It'd work in Hollywood Studios, but not in Animal Kingdom (probably, as you never know with Disney. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Big Thunder are in the same park, after all).

It might be too much to ask, though. Especially if we get a version of Shanghai Pirates. But it would be better than all the other Indiana Jones coasters.

EDIT: It would be hard, but not impossible, to fit both Shanghai Pirates and Big Grizzly Mountain into that space. But Star Tours would have to go, possibly some backstage space and/or Echo Lake as well.

Last edited:
Part of what makes the Indiana Jones Adventure in Disneyland such a next level experience is the context of Adventureland. You enter this temple through a camp tucked between the Jungle Cruise and the treehouse, and then you have to descend deeper and deeper into this temple. You’re immersed well into that world long before you’re even on the ride, and part of that is a function of how far away the showbuilding is. That challenge resulted in a huge asset. If they were to install a similar caliber ride into DHS, I don’t see much chance that they would put Star Wars Land-level effort into it, they’ll probably just flatten the stunt show and some of the stuff around it, put up a nice facade there right up against Echo Lake, and a handful of queue rooms with a bunch of switchbacks. Whereas in Adventureland they would already have the proper setting in place where you'd truly feel like you're going on an expedition.

I would agree that DHS still needs more, but not mega E-ticket attractions like that, it needs a couple of Haunted Mansion/Pirates/Peter Pan types. Magic Kingdom could use a couple of the more advanced attractions like they're finally getting with TRON.

Just a thought I had, but what if they cloned this ride and gave it an Indiana Jones theme? They already cloned Tron, and this ride is just as popular. It'd work in Hollywood Studios, but not in Animal Kingdom (probably, as you never know with Disney. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Big Thunder are in the same park, after all).

It might be too much to ask, though. Especially if we get a version of Shanghai Pirates. But it would be better than all the other Indiana Jones coasters.

Is there too much of a thing as "too many coasters"? I'd think so, if that'd be the case.

Part of what makes the Indiana Jones Adventure in Disneyland such a next level experience is the context of Adventureland. You enter this temple through a camp tucked between the Jungle Cruise and the treehouse, and then you have to descend deeper and deeper into this temple. You’re immersed well into that world long before you’re even on the ride, and part of that is a function of how far away the showbuilding is. That challenge resulted in a huge asset. If they were to install a similar caliber ride into DHS, I don’t see much chance that they would put Star Wars Land-level effort into it, they’ll probably just flatten the stunt show and some of the stuff around it, put up a nice facade there right up against Echo Lake, and a handful of queue rooms with a bunch of switchbacks. Whereas in Adventureland they would already have the proper setting in place where you'd truly feel like you're going on an expedition.

I would agree that DHS still needs more, but not mega E-ticket attractions like that, it needs a couple of Haunted Mansion/Pirates/Peter Pan types. Magic Kingdom could use a couple of the more advanced attractions like they're finally getting with TRON.

I love it when things like this happen. What would be considered a problem has been solved with a simple solution and has massively improved the experience. I think MK has the room behind Jungle Cruise but no real path to allow this. With Tron coming and rumours about a Moana coaster fading away, I don't think MK needs any more boosts to the park. Plus with MK being the most visited park in the world, they may want to slow down attendance gains to help the park cope, especially with the 50th coming.

DHS will still need some love after Star Wars and I think this would be the perfect addition but it will also result in a removal. Theming the area wouldn't be that difficult or expensive. Trees work well and are relatively cheap compared to other methods of landscaping.

EDIT: It would be hard, but not impossible, to fit both Shanghai Pirates and Big Grizzly Mountain into that space. But Star Tours would have to go, possibly some backstage space and/or Echo Lake as well.

OR:

What if they build a big Coaster like this themed to Indy in Studios and build the Shanghai tech boat ride themed to Indy in MK...or vice versa? I totally agree with the placemaking in Adventureland really being a fantastic setup to the Indy Adventure...that’s why I’d love to see something themed to Indy at MK...but he has always had a presence at DHS, so keeping him there makes sense as well...

The problem with making a new Indy ride is that it will always be compared to the DL version. When you have a hit ride; why create something else? If it ain’t broke...