Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

IOA is a 1/2 Day Park?

I'm sorry. I can't take reviews from people who say that the $100 admission price for "Harry Potter World" is a rip off since it only has 3 rides seriously.

"When they told us our daughter was too little to ride FJ we left the park and went to our hotel, very disappointed"
.....So you went to islands of adventure for one ride and ignored everything else? PEOPLE!!!!

IoA is definitely a 3/4 park. If you stop and smell the roses, it can become a full day. But having 2 lands big attractions be 3 water rides, it's easy to just skip right over. Like Skip said, a few more additions and we're talking a full day park.

Kali is absolutely terrible, we were so excited to go on it last year and finally went. I think a person in one of the other groups got splashed and that was it for wetness. Plus I really don't understand the story of it. Don't mess with nature or it will burn you to the ground with gasoline and bulldozers?

Kali is a bad ride, but I do have a fond memory of it nonetheless.
My buddy and I went in January and walked right on the ride with a group of people. We got to the hill and the two teenage girls in that group were facing backwards so they got soaked. When we got back around to the unload, they let us all stay on because there was no line. The girls were saying the whole time that they could not wait to see the rest of us get wet. They ended up going backwards down the hill again.
If I did not have that memory of that epic trip my friend and I took, I would probably never ride Kali again.

I'm sorry. I can't take reviews from people who say that the $100 admission price for "Harry Potter World" is a rip off since it only has 3 rides seriously.

I've run into so many people who come to IOA and spend their day just doing Potter stuff and ignoring the rest of the park, it's mind boggling to me. Even if you're a huge Potter fan, why not enjoy the rest of what the park has to offer? Not like you can spend the whole day there unless you ride FJ ten times. I'm a huge Marvel fanboy but I don't spend my day at MSHI and ignoring the rest of the park.

Kali is a bad ride, but I do have a fond memory of it nonetheless.
My buddy and I went in January and walked right on the ride with a group of people. We got to the hill and the two teenage girls in that group were facing backwards so they got soaked. When we got back around to the unload, they let us all stay on because there was no line. The girls were saying the whole time that they could not wait to see the rest of us get wet. They ended up going backwards down the hill again.
If I did not have that memory of that epic trip my friend and I took, I would probably never ride Kali again.
I went on the ride with some girl who ate a bad meal at the yak and yeti...the spinning got to her alright and because of it i'm done with that attraction

I've run into so many people who come to IOA and spend their day just doing Potter stuff and ignoring the rest of the park, it's mind boggling to me. Even if you're a huge Potter fan, why not enjoy the rest of what the park has to offer? Not like you can spend the whole day there unless you ride FJ ten times. I'm a huge Marvel fanboy but I don't spend my day at MSHI and ignoring the rest of the park.

Well apparently your admission only includes Harry Potter World, and you need to pay extra to get special tickets for anything else in the park... :rofl:

If it wasn't for the fantastic Harry Potter ride, the day would have been a bust. Yes, we were there on Spring Break in April and the park was expected to be crowded, but it is not a quality park at all. Lines were bad, but MANY rides were unavailable to us because we didn't have special tickets (which no one told us about at the gate) to be admitted. The two kids with us were disappointed time and time again as we arrived at the rides only to be turned away. By 10:30 am, the special tickets were not even available. We paid $96 to get in and walk aimlessly around the loud, over crowded "streets" of the park. NEVER going back.

It sounds like they would only go into the Express lines, and give up on the ride because they did not have Express passes. FJ must have been less confusing for them because there is not an Express line. But there are other funny reviews on there, just hilarious what people think sometimes.

I also do not approve of openly selling beer in a park that is supposed to be family orientated . I saw several people walking around the park who appeared intoxicated. I thought the staff dressed sloppy and in some cases looked dirty. I saw people walking around the park smoking without any staff doing anything. Many of them we rude and didn't seem to care about the guests. In short I won't be returning to universal. It's my opinion that if Disney builds a park with thrill rides it will put universal out of business. I guess I am just spoiled as Disney handles crowds much better. The parks are much nicer and cleaner and alcohol is allowed only in designated and controlled areas. I would recommend your skipping universal on your trip to Orlando.

The result: even if you went to the singles line it was well over an hour for a less than 2 minute ride. After one such ride (Hulk), we walked over to the Harry Potter exhibit. Same lineup for the ride. Half of the Potter exhibit is not finished yet and that half, in order to gain admission will require that you purchase the two park pass. In other words half of the Harry Potter exhibit is in Islands of Adventure and half will be in Universal Studios. Way to go Universal. Glad you are providing local employment, but you are stripping families of money they worked hard to save for an experience that mostly involves long lineups and pricing practices that cater to the wealthy.

We waited 45 minutes for the Spider-Man ride... Only to be told it was broken, but that we should wait in like anyway for when they fix it. We ditched it and went along to Jurrasic Park. Waited 40 minutes for the flying ride and fuss what? It broke too and people got stuck in the air.

dumbasses....as far as the eye can see

It also depends on what time of year you go to IOA. If it is in late September (After memorial day, before HHN) and the lines are very short, then you could definitely finish before 3. But if you go during more heavy times, such as Spring Break or Summer, then it may take longer to get everything done with and eat before 3.

Like others have said, it also has to do with what kind of group you are in. If you are just focusing on the rides, then you will most likely be done before 3, but if you are in a family with small children or elderly individuals, then things like Camp Jurassic or the Marvel arcade may take more of your time.

I really think it is possible to do in a half day if you are a regular.

We are visiting in early december, so expect it to be moderately busy. However as we don't get to come that often we'll deffo spend a whole day there, and probabaly come back again during the 2 weeks

Last edited:
If IOA is a half-day park, then DHS and DAK are quarter-day parks. Any park COULD be a half day park if you're only going for a couple of attractions and not the whole experience. I can't remember the last time I spent a full day at Magic Kingdom, but then again I'm there frequently and only go for the specific attractions rather than the whole experience.

If IOA is a half-day park, then DHS and DAK are quarter-day parks. Any park COULD be a half day park if you're only going for a couple of attractions and not the whole experience. I can't remember the last time I spent a full day at Magic Kingdom, but then again I'm there frequently and only go for the specific attractions rather than the whole experience.
Just because IOA is a half-day park, doesn't make DHS and DAK quarter-day parks. I'd consider both of those half-day parks as well. And by half-day, I consider that being done around 2:00, not noon. But as it’s been mentioned, a lot has do with what you prefer to see/do, how fast you move through the park, etc. My opinion:

½ Day Parks: IOA, DHS, DAK, LEGOLand

¾ Day Parks: USF, Epcot, SWO, BGT

Full Day Park: MK

Just because IOA is a half-day park, doesn't make DHS and DAK quarter-day parks. I'd consider both of those half-day parks as well. And by half-day, I consider that being done around 2:00, not noon. But as it’s been mentioned, a lot has do with what you prefer to see/do, how fast you move through the park, etc. My opinion:

After Diagon, the new KidZone revamp, the interactive museum, remodeling the front entrance, whatever replaces Disaster, World Expo revamp/reimagining?, and the additions for the MIB/Springfield plot, USF will definitely be full day.

IOA needs something in Toon Lagoon Theater, something to replace or fix Dudley's theming issues, the Kong E-ticket, some additions/plussing to JP (coaster, River Adventure refurb, CJ gets an observatory tower, Mr. DNA dark ride in Discovery Center), removal of DC to remove half of their Six Flags moniker (Hulk is an icon so it stays), LC total reworking, a nighttime show, some Streetmosphere or a parade, and a refresh for Seuss (Seuss Trolley reworked to obtain original 34" height requirement, Cat's spinning removed to allow everyone to ride, Lorax dark ride next to Cat, permanent yearround show in Grinchmas soundstage) before it becomes truly a park that takes a day or more to finish.

I say every park in orlando is a full day if you decide to do everything (see shows, streetmosphere, every ride) even animal kingdom can be a full day if you really want it to be....key word want

I would argue that Animal Kingdom is definitely a full-day park, as walking around the whole place and appreciating the details/animal exhibits takes quite a bit of time. At IOA, the main draw is only rides, and to me that doesnt make a full-day park. The show offerings are lackluster with their main "big show" Sinbad being awful. The layout is also very simple...just a big circle with a few small trails off of Toon Lagoon and Seuss Landing that offer a little to look at but not much more than a few minutes-worth of exploring. The only non-ride asset IOA has are its playgrounds, and Camp Jurassic is really the only one thats worthwhile IMO. IOA needs something worthwhile to do besides just rides before it becomes a full-day park, because its landlocked nature will always make its actual ride lineup pretty limited on its own.

The guys at Touringplans did a great article a while back on why DAK isn't a half-day park - link. While I agree some are definitely more built-out than others, each of the parks are what you make of them.

At IOA, the main draw is only rides, and to me that doesnt make a full-day park.

I would disagree personally; I always define a great theme park as one where you could spend a day without going on any rides and still have a good time. I would certainly class IOA in this bracket for the food, placemaking (granted in some areas more than others but specifically POE, JP, WWHP and Lost Continent) and general atmosphere. I can wander for ages and enjoy myself, and I have family members who are often there with us who hardly go on any rides because they don't like them but who still love IOA.

Last edited:
I've spent many full days at IOA myself. What makes it a full day for me (avid themepark fan not tourist) is the details that pour into every corner. Every and I mean every ride has a ton of re-ridebility for that alone. I've ridden the cat in the hat hundreds of times since I was a child yet I just discovered last trip that there is a tiny rat in the fridge near the mess room. Crap like that brings me back time after time. Hell you could spend hours walking around POE for neat finds. Overall I agree it needs some new rides but as it is now? Still as spectacular as it was when it opened

Just based on my recent experiences of bringing family who had never been to ANY of the parks, everything was a full day park except for DHS and DAK, and even EPCOT was a stretch for a full day. MK was more than one full day to do it all, and (surprisingly to me) SWF and BGT both had more to do than you could fit into a full day.

Of course DHS and DAK were both after USO and BGT, and both suffered in comparison to my guests which may be why we only spent a half day in each.

dumbasses....as far as the eye can see

I've noticed that like in 90% of the bad reviews on that site, some variance of the phrase "It's not as good as Disney!" was in it. Just a bunch of idiots snorting some pixie dust and coming online to hate on Disney's biggest rival.

As it stands, IOA is about four or five attractions from being a full day park for me. In all fairness, the only full day park to me in Orlando is the Magic Kingdom.

DHS and DAK are easily half day parks, Sea World, Epcot, and USF are 3/4 day parks.