IOA Lagoon Show | Inside Universal Forums

IOA Lagoon Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sep 15, 2012
Celebration, FL
I know we all really want this to happen. So let’s discuss what we want to see, ideas, rumors, etc.

The IOA lagoon is bigger than Universal's so there’s probably more flexibility. But then there’s also the fact that maybe the lagoon is too big and it might be hard to see everything. There are some really good spots that they could use for seating by the water, like at Seuss, Marvel, and maybe even Jurassic Park.

Wasn't there a rumor a while back about some people seeing pyro testing?

Also, it would be cool if they did something with watercraft. But that might be hard if there are fountains lol.

I have no sources, but once Transformers and WWOHP II open at Studios i.e. when there is more attention over there, that's when it would be most likely.

There once was a lagoon show that utilized jet skis and watercraft and stuff, but I forgot the name of it. It was just a quick summer promotion. However, I don't see a nighttime show coming to IoA anytime soon for several reasons.

1. Viewing Space
There are plenty of places from which to see the lagoon from IoA but none of them are very large spaces well-suited for holding several people to face one direction to look at one thing. The only exception to this is the area in front of the JP Discovery Center which currently holds the standby line to get into the WWOHP. Other than that, areas facing the lagoon are either non-linear (TL, SL), not wide enough to fit people (LC, PoE), or do not give expansive enough views of the whole lagoon (Marvel, WWOHP).

2. Crowding
US has plenty of wide open spaces for people to gather around to watch a nighttime show...IoA, not so much. The narrow paths make it hard for people to see the lagoon in large numbers. Since IoA draws in more people as it is, having everyone gather to the perimeter of the lagoon would seem like a logistical nightmare. Not to mention the complaints and anger people would feel once they go to a very limited-space spot that is already full, leaving them to trek all the way around to another island and gamble with viewing availability.

3. Rides
There's too much attraction interaction with the lagoon. A nighttime show would require shutting off the lights of any attraction touching the water, which includes the Burger Digs Restaurant (a Meal Deal Location), Mythos (premiere theme park restaurant), Me Ship, The Olive (this one could close early without complaints I think), and finally the High in the Sky Trolley and Hulk--even if the solution was to close these attractions early, how early would that be? Hulk and Trolley, on peak nights when this show would be feasible, easily draw up to an hour queues--do we really want to close those two headliners that early on?!

4. Creativity
What would this show be themed to? Classic movies seems like a no-brainer for the Studios but IoA is based on literature so there doesn't seem to be a natural fit. Now you could argue that they could do an adventure-themed show with watercraft and pyrotechnics and popular songs and stuff, but that would clash with the theming of some of the islands from which the show was to be viewed from, namely Harry Potter, which would shut down in an instant if it was mixed with rock music at night.

5. Repetition
There's already a nighttime multi-media show at USF. i think they have fountains, waterfall screens, and fireworks all in one show for the sake of covering the bases--they don't need two shows with the same elements occurring around the same time right next door to each other!

6. After the Show...
Though Illuminations offers a similar viewing area layout with everyone crowding around a circular lagoon, Epcot offers the expansive-enough walkways to support a good chunk of its capacity as they all leave the park simultaneously. IoA, not so much. It's tiny walkways have a hard enough time supporting people as they pass through, imagine what a nightmare it would be to suddenly have everyone in the park crowding those walkways headed towards one destination at once.

Overall, I think this may just be wishful thinking. A lagoon show doesn't make sense.

I completely disagree with basically everything you said.:lol:

1) More viewing space can easily be added around the lagoon. You're seeing it done in USF, it can be done here.

2) See #1

3) DCA basically closes down an entire land for World of Color. IoA could survive an hour without those rides.

4) Theme it to the story of the creation of IoA. Use fountains, lasers, and fire. No fireworks. No water screens. Make it more abstract than Cinespec.

5) I don't think people care all that much.

6) Universal is getting used to dealing with crowds. I don't think it'd be that big of a problem.

Reactions: SweeneysGalMegz
4. Creativity
What would this show be themed to? Classic movies seems like a no-brainer for the Studios but IoA is based on literature so there doesn't seem to be a natural fit. Now you could argue that they could do an adventure-themed show with watercraft and pyrotechnics and popular songs and stuff, but that would clash with the theming of some of the islands from which the show was to be viewed from, namely Harry Potter, which would shut down in an instant if it was mixed with rock music at night.

I would enjoy it if it was just themed to each of the islands. Not sure if that would interfere with the Marvel/Disney contract, but have a bit of the show for each. I don't think it needs to be so modern and pop culture-y. But perhaps it's just me thinking that, or it's too simple a solution. :shrug:

As for the attraction bit, I thought Disney did the same thing and it works out, but maybe I'm thinking wrong.

As for the attraction bit, I thought Disney did the same thing and it works out, but maybe I'm thinking wrong.

They did, as JungleSkip pointed out, but there are many more rides at DCA...shutting down Paradise Pier (minus the major attraction in the area, TSM) does not hamper the park as much as closing down attractions around the island would because there are more of them, and they are all located away from the lagoon that WoC takes place in...besides in that one corner of the park, you can't tell WoC is going on when it is because there's so much else to do there and because it doesn't revolve around one aspect of the park.

While I agree that more viewing space can be added, my point still stands that the walkways are a mess. Having worked at IoA, I can say from experience that having peak crowds shuffling through those streets is almost painful, it can take you ten minutes to get through any given island with people literally moving centimeters at a time because of how packed it is. Having everyone walking toward the front at the same time (which would cause way more congestion since there's no flow of people moving back and forth to specific locations throughout) would cause this times ten...every night of the week. No thanks.

I do like the idea about the creation of IoA as the theme though...but in this day and age I have a hard time seeing them doing anything not related to an IP.

Seriously the only 3 attractions that are near the waters edge are The Hulk, High In The Sky Trolly and Me Ship, Olive. But is they did an illuminations type show with compressed air launched low level fireworks, LOTS of fire, lasers, and strategiclly placed Mist screens. I think it could be epic. Of course they would just use the IPs from around the park (Thank God Toon Lagoon has about 25). But who wouldn't love to see something like the Discovery Center glow bright when the Jurassic Park theme starts to play. Or Hogwarts Castle to Hedwigs theme. And depending where you were viewing from it would be different to you for several viewings.

Reactions: SweeneysGalMegz
Seriously the only 3 attractions that are near the waters edge are The Hulk, High In The Sky Trolly and Me Ship, Olive. But is they did an illuminations type show with compressed air launched low level fireworks, LOTS of fire, lasers, and strategiclly placed Mist screens. I think it could be epic. Of course they would just use the IPs from around the park (Thank God Toon Lagoon has about 25). But who wouldn't love to see something like the Discovery Center glow bright when the Jurassic Park theme starts to play. Or Hogwarts Castle to Hedwigs theme. And depending where you were viewing from it would be different to you for several viewings.

More than likely they would not be able to use Hogwarts, not to mention the show wouldn't even be visible from Wizarding World. Also, Marvel would not be able to be used.

Personally, a fireworks show mixed with lasers and fountains will do justice. Just use the themes from the respective lands and a narrator of caliber to execute it.

Personally, a fireworks show mixed with lasers and fountains will do justice. Just use the themes from the respective lands and a narrator of caliber to execute it.

As for the narrator, maybe different narrators for each land? I would love to hear especially Jo Rowling for Potter :pray:
As for any other good narrator voices, I would think if they could get Morgan Freeman or Alan Rickman it would be phenomenal since their voices are so recognizable. Would they do it though?

As for the narrator, maybe different narrators for each land? I would love to hear especially Jo Rowling for Potter :pray:
As for any other good narrator voices, I would think if they could get Morgan Freeman or Alan Rickman it would be phenomenal since their voices are so recognizable. Would they do it though?

Jeremy Irons! Take that Disney :lol: The summer 2013 deal is a rumor, a strong one but a rumor none the less. We would need to see some type of progress made with this by early February if true.