Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Is Spielberg contract over with Universal Parks & Resorts?

I heard something about Steven Spielberg leaving from his contract and connection from Universal Parks in 2017 that he was going to opt out of his contract is this true? Not sure if he will have any involvement with a 4th Universal Orlando Gate when it is built. I am assuming Spielberg’s connection with Universal Parks will be over when the 4th gate is built in the 2020’s or do you think he is staying? E.T Adventure is still around at USF so could that tell us possibly Spielberg still has ties with Universal Parks? Since that is the last attraction at Universal Orlando period that has any involvement with Spielberg he was a part of developing E.T Adventure I thought at all Uni Parks.

I heard something about Steven Spielberg leaving from his contract and connection from Universal Parks in 2017 that he was going to opt out of his contract is this true? Not sure if he will have any involvement with a 4th Universal Orlando Gate when it is built. I am assuming Spielberg’s connection with Universal Parks will be over when the 4th gate is built in the 2020’s or do you think he is staying? E.T Adventure is still around at USF so could that tell us possibly Spielberg still has ties with Universal Parks? Since that is the last attraction at Universal Orlando period that has any involvement with Spielberg he was a part of developing E.T Adventure I thought at all Uni Parks.
Speilberg was close to walking when ET was on the chopping block...I'm sure he wasn't fond of JAWS and BTTF being taken out

He doesn't play the role he used to play in the development of content (as far as I know), but perhaps he will re-appear with the new park ramping up

Ok well since E.T is still currently sitting at USF he could be still involved. But no word if he will still do something at Universal’s 4th gate. Jurassic World 3 is coming out in 2021 and I am sure he is executive producer for that. But many think JW is going to replace JP area at IOA.

Even if they remove ET does not relieve the contractual obligation. A buyout was discussed ( like a billion) but both parties remain tight lipped about it, and it went no further as reported.. And appears Spielberg is playing a roll in the Asian park development.

Ok well since E.T is still currently sitting at USF he could be still involved. But no word if he will still do something at Universal’s 4th gate. Jurassic World 3 is coming out in 2021 and I am sure he is executive producer for that. But many think JW is going to replace JP area at IOA.
Honestly, he started at Universal...I don't think there is anything to worry about...Unless Universal comes out as anti-semitic or something

Oh ok because i know universal is interested in Warner bros properties too speaking of spielberg he is supposed to be doing something with dc comics called Blackhawk. Not sure if this has a slight Chance of DC characters coming to a 4th gate. Spielberg is doing a halo tv series how cool would that be to see at a 4th gate? Again that's if Steven has any involvement with a 4th Uni gate. Microsoft will have to play a part of they want to bring in Halo.

Oh ok because i know universal is interested in Warner bros properties too speaking of spielberg he is supposed to be doing something with dc comics called Blackhawk. Not sure if this has a slight Chance of DC characters coming to a 4th gate. Spielberg is doing a halo tv series how cool would that be to see at a 4th gate? Again that's if Steven has any involvement with a 4th Uni gate. Microsoft will have to play a part of they want to bring in Halo.
The Halo ip doesn't have the pull a Nintendo does. The gp doesn't know what Halo is and no tv series with generic buff men shooting stuff doesn't change that. Beyond that the game's popularity is waning just like it's console.

Regarding Spielberg, this is just easy money for him, right, having his seat on the Universal theme parks brand.

I have no clue if he still does anything for the parks, but he does still seem to hold influence with Universal.

Really, he was more than just Jaws and ET...JP/JW...

I’m sure he helped get Transformers, MiB...I mean he worked on those films as well, he was at the Transfomers opening in Orlando...

But he is paid regardless and I can’t imagine why he would end the contract he has with them.

I have no clue if he still does anything for the parks, but he does still seem to hold influence with Universal.

Really, he was more than just Jaws and ET...JP/JW...

I’m sure he helped get Transformers, MiB...I mean he worked on those films as well, he was at the Transfomers opening in Orlando...

But he is paid regardless and I can’t imagine why he would end the contract he has with them.
Yep, If it was not for Steven Universal parks would not exist. Pay the man his 2% of the gate and whatever merch the contract calls for, it is money well spent.
If Steven had terminated the contract it would have been a payout of 1 billion +. Keep Steven happy, he is not a problem and may provide another e ticket or two in the future.

The Halo ip doesn't have the pull a Nintendo does. The gp doesn't know what Halo is and no tv series with generic buff men shooting stuff doesn't change that. Beyond that the game's popularity is waning just like it's console.

Regarding Spielberg, this is just easy money for him, right, having his seat on the Universal theme parks brand.
A Halo Ride would be Awesome in the new park, and, the general public does know what Halo is :)

He has a contract with Universal that he receives 2% of all park ticket revenue and a portion of park concession receipts generated by Universal theme parks in Florida, Japan, and Singapore in perpetuity, in exchange of consulting with them in various Universal attractions, so yes.

So what most of you ar e saying spielberg may have some things in mind for a 4th gate if he is indeed still around with Universal Parks the earliest a new park would come is 2021-2023.

I think what most are saying is that Spielberg entered into a real good contract with Universal. He is a consultant to the parks division. Personally, I couldn’t imagine why he would want out of the contract and (based on the article @Disneyhead linked) it would cost a lot for Universal to buy him out.