Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Is Spielberg contract over with Universal Parks & Resorts?

Spielberg has not made an official announcement that he is returning to Universal Pictures but I heard he wanted to bring Dreamworks over to Universal not sure if that plan worked out because Dreamworks was with Disney before.

The only things he has publicly stated, regards on his involvement as director for West Side Story, Indy 5 (Disney/Lucasfilm/Amblin), and a project for WB/DC called Nighthawk based off of the comic line of the same name.

He hasn't made a statement on DreamWorks SKG, and if he has; please cite the proper citation of that.

EDIT: I am going through the bases, and I think you are more confusing of the fact that Universal Pictures, has a minority stake now at this point of time. They do not own DreamWorks Pictures (or SKG for those who remember that), but they do own DreamWorks Animation. Both are separate entities.

Last edited:
Oh ok so what was the idea of Dreamworks Area possibly coming to a 4th gate? Dreamworks I must have thought had some involvement with Universal. Guess Not.

Well, DreamWorks has involvement with Universal. Just not in live action.

Universal Pictures acquired DreamWorks Animation completely in 2016, and they are finally going forward with releasing and developing animated properties with DreamWorks Animation starting with Dragons in March.

If you want to look at DreamWorks for Universal's future in parks, don't look at live action.

IDK what you guys are talking about. I personally think Kong and Diagon were both great additions, Transformers was a good addition that took up unused space and Fallon is the best simulator in the park. I do see the other side of the arguement and they could use less screen rides in the studios though and I'm hoping Shrek 4D and Fear Factor get the axe soon. Overall I think fast has been the only bad decision in the last 10 years. Although atleast I actually ride Fast (and Fallon) unlike Disaster and Twister.

Well what else can Spielberg look at if he is involved with building a fourth Universal Orlando gate?

He is a consultant. I imagine his role is that he knows Hollywood, has a lot of connections. He probably does things like arranging meetings, putting in a good word for UNI creative.

His role might not be as needed these days, but I imagine UNI needed someone on the inside back when they penned the deal.

I would assume, as a courtesy given their history, that Universal will run ideas past Spielberg, and he'd be free to offer whatever commentary or help he'd feel like. A far cry from how directly involved he was in USF's development, but still better than not being involved in any way. Spielberg's generally got good instincts, and any feedback he'd give would probably only improve things.

I'd also like to point out that Spielberg and Lucas have a bit of a friendly rivalry and since Lucas went to Disney and claimed that only Disney could make high quality attractions, Spielberg decided to help make quality attractions at Universal.

I believe this was part of the story about getting Bob Gurr to work on the original Kong in USH and showing George Lucas that Universal can do things just as well as Disney.

I'd also like to point out that Spielberg and Lucas have a bit of a friendly rivalry and since Lucas went to Disney and claimed that only Disney could make high quality attractions, Spielberg decided to help make quality attractions at Universal.

I believe this was part of the story about getting Bob Gurr to work on the original Kong in USH and showing George Lucas that Universal can do things just as well as Disney.

Bingo.
I'd say Spielberg has had the upper hand as we has been a lot more involved while Lucas really only worked on the original Star Tours

I would assume, as a courtesy given their history, that Universal will run ideas past Spielberg, and he'd be free to offer whatever commentary or help he'd feel like. A far cry from how directly involved he was in USF's development, but still better than not being involved in any way. Spielberg's generally got good instincts, and any feedback he'd give would probably only improve things.
Bet they never asked his advice about that F&F party bus ride concept. ;):lol: