Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

JAWS Remake

There is a rumor that Universal is looking into doing a JAWS remake with Spielberg producing and possibly It's Andy Muschietti as director. It would be a new take on Peter Benchley's 1974 novel.

Universal Reportedly Plans To Remake Jaws, Spielberg May Produce
If they can recreate the 'awesome suspense' of the first movie, it just might work. They had a hell of a time trying to get the original movie mechanical shark to work. 'Realistic' Shark effects should be a lot easier now with the big tech advances since the 70's......and....if it's successful....maybe we'll get lucky and get a new Jaws attraction in one of those Epic expansion pads.

Not sure at all how to feel about this, needs to be a highly advanced puppet/AA for me to think it’s real. If they’re gonna CGI a shark that isn’t to the standard of this summers The Lion King animals then don’t bother.

I know it’s not directing, but only hope this gives me at the very moment is Spielberg at least being willing to fund it. We shall see, going tread water here...

How's the source? I don't think I've heard of them breaking news very much.

EDIT: There is a lot of "presumablies" and "expectations" here. It doesn't even confirm if Spielberg is producing or not. Take this all with a Crait-sized grain of salt.

Last edited:
If they can recreate the 'awesome suspense' of the first movie, it just might work. They had a hell of a time trying to get the original movie mechanical shark to work. 'Realistic' Shark effects should be a lot easier now with the big tech advances since the 70's......and....if it's successful....maybe we'll get lucky and get a new Jaws attraction in one of those Epic expansion pads.

The tech issues were a big part of the suspense though. The shark couldn't be on screen so often because he didn't work right or look right, so we got scenes like the one with the barrel being dragged on top of the sea and similar.
Tech advances could well remove a lot of that suspense for jump scares with a 'real' looking shark popping up.
I don't have a lot of faith in Hollywood and especially the guy who made IT to not go down that road.

Last edited:
The tech issues were a big part of the suspense though. The shark couldn't be on screen so often because he didn't work right or look right, so we got scenes like the one with the barrel being dragged on top of the sea and similar.
Tech advances could well remove a lot of that suspense for jump scares with a 'real' looking shark popping up.

Force them to have a budget of like, 2 bucks and a sausage to keep the shark moments to a minimum. It'll recreate the effect and be economical.

I find this extremely hard to believe, for three primary reasons:

1. The novel actually isn't very good. Doing a more faithful adaptation would not be a selling point, because virtually every change made for the movie was a change for the better.

2. Spielberg's extremely protective of his films, and I can't fathom him signing on for one of them to be remade.

3. If other rumors are true, Muschietti is in the process of developing a remake of THE HOWLING for Netflix.

:puke:

My guess is Universal wants this to their new "Jurassic World". The problem is, dinosaurs have an infinite amount of story potential. How many shark attack movies do we get before they all look the same?

I mean, in the past decade, we got The Shallows, Shark Night 3D, The Meg, 2 47 Meters Down films, and an ungodly amount of Sharknado movies.

:puke:

My guess is Universal wants this to their new "Jurassic World". The problem is, dinosaurs have an infinite amount of story potential. How many shark attack movies do we get before they all look the same?

I mean, in the past decade, we got The Shallows, Shark Night 3D, The Meg, 2 47 Meters Down films, and an ungodly amount of Sharknado movies.

An infinite amount? Then why do all the JP films have almost the exact same plot?

I'd much rather have a Jaws ride remade.
Maybe have a Jaws series on netflix?
I think the movie has aged pretty well.
Better than some of the shark movies that used cgi from the 90s.

I heard this is the same source which we heard for a jaws remake was also this same site wegothiscovered about Bill Murray coming back to reprise his role i heard in ghostbusters:afterlife which should be released this year and they were correct from what I understand. Not saying they’ll be right on this and Jaws will be remade but very interesting.

I mean they did re-boot Jurassic Park. I wouldn't put it past the bean counters at Universal to do it. Spielberg can kill it but it is still possible in the movie world we live in today.