Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 265 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, not sure if I'm in the minority here, but unless it's like a Big Thunder Mountain level of intensity coaster I'm against adding more coasters to the existing parks.

I'd love to see a dark ride or something else a la Reign of Kong to be added to JP. Though I fear the Dark Ride could end up becoming "Dinosaur (Universal Edition)" if they weren't careful with how they handled it.

If your taking out a roller coaster it should be replaced... With another coaster. Universal shouldn't forget their roots, which includes having a variety of attractions. This includes having larger coasters as well. Uni shouldn't be run by new family rides and old thrilling coasters, ther should be a variety of different rides.

If your taking out a roller coaster it should be replaced... With another coaster. Universal shouldn't forget their roots, which includes having a variety of attractions. This includes having larger coasters as well. Uni shouldn't be run by new family rides and old thrilling coasters, ther should be a variety of different rides.

"a variety of attractions" shouldn't be placing multiple coasters at once in the same park.

The park is lacking dry attractions. This is something that everyone can agree on. They need to add another attraction that can house a large amount of people inside an air-controlled area that would cater to everyone. It doesn't have to be the Gyrosphere, and it doesn't have to be the once-proposed Jeep attraction; but there needs to be at least another attraction in the park that can do what Kong has done with grace.

"a variety of attractions" shouldn't be placing multiple coasters at once in the same park.

The park is lacking dry attractions. This is something that everyone can agree on. They need to add another attraction that can house a large amount of people inside an air-controlled area that would cater to everyone. It doesn't have to be the Gyrosphere, and it doesn't have to be the once-proposed Jeep attraction; but there needs to be at least another attraction in the park that can do what Kong has done with grace.

I love roller coasters as much as the next guy but I 100% agree with this. IOA doesn't need another. I go to Uni as it offers so many things that my regional park doesn't and theming of rides is a large part of that. There are better things they can do with that land.

As much as people say it doesn't need another coaster, why? Because people want Universal to be more family friendly like Disney not realizing some of the reasons people enjoy Universal is the lack of strollers and its more targeted to the thrill crowd. 18-35 are the folks with the most disposable income. Universal needs them to come to the park because they are the ones who spend the most money not the family friendly. Also they have other areas for more family friendly rides (Suess, Toon Lagoon and entire 4th park), Jurassic Park isn't one.

Reactions: LJGonz

The jeep thing is not happening. If you search up unofficial universal Orlando podcast you will hear a segment in which a universal creative team member comes on an explains a bunch of rumors and new attractions. When uni first built JP, they were only going to build the jeep or JPRA. Same thing with the helicopter ride. Out of these three attarctions, only one could be built because they would all follow the same story. Unless the jeep attarction would have a story plot not similar to JPRA, then it's not happening. IOA needs another roller coaster when DC is demolished.

I love roller coasters as much as the next guy but I 100% agree with this. IOA doesn't need another. I go to Uni as it offers so many things that my regional park doesn't and theming of rides is a large part of that. There are better things they can do with that land.

Welcome to OU (or, should I say IU) btw. :cheers:

As much as people say it doesn't need another coaster, why? Because people want Universal to be more family friendly like Disney not realizing some of the reasons people enjoy Universal is the lack of strollers and its more targeted to the thrill crowd. 18-35 are the folks with the most disposable income. Universal needs them to come to the park because they are the ones who spend the most money not the family friendly. Also they have other areas for more family friendly rides (Suess, Toon Lagoon and entire 4th park), Jurassic Park isn't one.

Not exactly. I did point out that when writing, that the park needs a dry attraction. That doesn't mean it can't be thrilling and exciting.

I believe that whatever comes to JP, will be a dry attraction that will be a thrilling attraction that can cater high capacity. Can it be a coaster? Yes. Could it be a Dark Ride? Yes. But I do believe that the future of this discussion will revolve around something that will be air-controlled, and that it will benefit the park in some way.

The jeep thing is not happening. If you search up unofficial universal Orlando podcast you will hear a segment in which a universal creative team member comes on an explains a bunch of rumors and new attractions. When uni first built JP, they were only going to build the jeep or JPRA. Same thing with the helicopter ride. Out of these three attarctions, only one could be built because they would all follow the same story. Unless the jeep attarction would have a story plot not similar to JPRA, then it's not happening. IOA needs another roller coaster when DC is demolished.

Who say's that the replacement of DC can't be a coaster?

Reactions: Mike S
Who say's that the replacement of DC can't be a coaster

A roller coaster shouldn't be out in DC area, but another coaster should be built in IOA. We only have 3 semi major coasters. If one is taken out, and the other one is really bad then a new one should take its place.

A roller coaster shouldn't be out in DC area, but another coaster should be built in IOA. We only have 3 semi major coasters. If one is taken out, and the other one is really bad then a new one should take its place.

Are you counting both DC tracks as two different coaster's?

USF has only two major coasters (if you really want to count Mummy as a true coaster), and DHS has only one major coaster (which will be further enhanced by an overblown kiddie launch coaster).

And what exactly are you saying about "A roller coaster shouldn't be out in DC area,"?

I haven't heard the podcast you're referring to but there's a reason it's called the 'unoffical Universal Orlando podcast', you can't really state that as fact. Not saying it's BS or trying to provoke as we all know people have sources with legit info and I'll take a listen but does seem a little unusual shall we say.

Story-wise, without turning it into a snooze fest I think it's hard to come up with any JP/JW ride (coaster aside) where something doesn't go horribly wrong/impending Dino-death until dramatic savior at the last minute.

Last edited:
Welcome to OU (or, should I say IU) btw. :cheers:

Not exactly. I did point out that when writing, that the park needs a dry attraction. That doesn't mean it can't be thrilling and exciting.

Who say's that the replacement of DC can't be a coaster?

I will give you the dry ride as you do get wet on ~38% of the attractions at IOA. (~ 54% when you take out the family friendly attractions and focus on thrills)

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I haven't heard the podcast you're referring to but there's a reason it's called the 'unoffical Universal Orlando podcast', you can't really state that as fact. Not saying it's BS or trying to provoke as we all know people have sources with legit info and I'll take a listen but does seem a little unusual shall we say.

Story-wise, without turning it into a snooze fest I think it's hard to come up with any JP/JW ride (coaster aside) where 'something goes horribly wrong/impending Dino-death until dramatic savior at the last minute'.

Honestly, the only JW-related coaster I could see being in conceptual in theory, would be an indoor coaster based off the Raptor Hunt sequence in the third act, using the Vekoma Motobike system and using projected imagery for the attraction.

Honestly, the only JW-related coaster I could see being in conceptual in theory, would be an indoor coaster based off the Raptor Hunt sequence in the third act, using the Vekoma Motobike system and using projected imagery for the attraction.

I think if you think in the way of a traditional coaster, sure the motobike would be the best option, but think of it this way. When the kids got attacked in the gyrosphere the animal attacks gave it a whole different level of play. They spun, they bounced they were lifted off the ground. Using that fake boom technology they have patented and other technology, a gyrosphere ride could be absolutely terrifying and still be a coaster just not in the traditional sense. Example in spoilers below.

You start out slow relaxing until a stampede knocks your gyro off course and you are forced to deal with dinos not normal on your tour. You spin as you get hit by spinosaurs, you jump and get dragged by pterodactyls, you get your gyro broken and come face to face with some other dinosaur predators AA. And well it would be nice to have a great ending of being resolved, when you get off the ride by an rescue team and continue through the forest, you come face to face with a raptor attack and a big finish face to face with the beauty herself, the t-rex right where you can feel the spit and that's the actual photo moment.

I think if you think in the way of a traditional coaster, sure the motobike would be the best option, but think of it this way. When the kids got attacked in the gyrosphere the animal attacks gave it a whole different level of play. They spun, they bounced they were lifted off the ground. Using that fake boom technology they have patented and other technology, a gyrosphere ride could be absolutely terrifying and still be a coaster just not in the traditional sense. Example in spoilers below.

You start out slow relaxing until a stampede knocks your gyro off course and you are forced to deal with dinos not normal on your tour. You spin as you get hit by spinosaurs, you jump and get dragged by pterodactyls, you get your gyro broken and come face to face with some other dinosaur predators AA. And well it would be nice to have a great ending of being resolved, when you get off the ride by an rescue team and continue through the forest, you come face to face with a raptor attack and a big finish face to face with the beauty herself, the t-rex right where you can feel the spit and that's the actual photo moment.
I still think the flying dinosaur attraction would be the best thing for JP.

Are you counting both DC tracks as two different coaster's?

USF has only two major coasters (if you really want to count Mummy as a true coaster), and DHS has only one major coaster (which will be further enhanced by an overblown kiddie launch coaster).

And what exactly are you saying about "A roller coaster shouldn't be out in DC area,"?
I'm stating that UO only has 3 coasters. DC is going to be removed and then were left with two other coasters. One good one and the other bad (rockit) Universal should add another roller coaster to IOA after DC is demolished.

I still think the flying dinosaur attraction would be the best thing for JP.

Reasons why it wouldn't work is you would lose Camp Jurassic, you would lose the pterodayctl flyer, ruin the siteline, and Universal is against coasters flying over people stateside. Japan is different, people aren't sue happy. So in the end, you lose a lot more for a lot less capacity. If they do build something coasteresque, it will have to be low to the ground to minimize footprint and not big enough to cause universal to lose capacity.

You also can't complain about universal having too few coasters and still be okay with them getting rid of two family attractions at the same time as then the coaster will have to have a low height limit to fit the loss.

Looking at Beijing Map, I think I spotted Jurassic World, not sure about the attractions though..
This could give us an idea for a future JP/JW expansion.. ( 3rd park ?)

Would it be plausible ?

3efafc413d.jpg
That bottom picture you used is concept art for the visitors center that never made it into the movie.

Wouldn't this would be the one they would go with, if they were going with the JW Visitors Center:

368347695766cff2f15d69bdbeaaf437.jpg

Reactions: AlexanderMBush

Except Universal is trying to shed the "Disney for Teens" label they held for ages, so that'd not only be a terrible business move but Universal has shown they're capable of far exceeding the standard of mindless thrill rides. Even Hulk they've worked hard on theme-ing properly, which is good because you don't see many parks outside of Disney and Uni who go to the lengths they do.

Something Universal has been able to do that makes them have their own sense of identity is bringing a sense of action into all their rides, even the more accessible ones for those who can't handle things like coasters. This is the image they should be trying to maintain, which is clear they have been trying to go for when you look at all their recent additions.

I'm stating that UO only has 3 coasters. DC is going to be removed and then were left with two other coasters. One good one and the other bad (rockit) Universal should add another roller coaster to IOA after DC is demolished.
I'll be generous here and not even call Gringotts a coaster, even though it is considered one. You're still left with Hulk, DC, Rock It and Mummy which is four coasters. Also, once again just sharing my opinion but I'd certainly say Rock It is better than DC. At least that ride has some form of scenery tied in, DC all you're doing is staring at the back lot of Universal where you can see various staff buildings and honestly considering the level the rest of the rides are at that's pretty weak imo.

That being said I feel this is beginning to enter the land of 100% derailed, so I'll try to make this my last post on this subject matter.

IMO, I would see JW fitting into the 4th park, really allowing them to build out the map/rides properly and not try to shoe-horn large scale rides into existing space. For JP, with the success of Raptor Encounter, wouldn't an extended MG/walk-through attraction not work great in the old triceratops area, highly interactive paddocks (I saw this pitched out earlier but couldn't find it to quote)? Or re hashing the amber mine coaster utilizing the DC lower deck (or frankly use it all, JP has several restaurants that could be retooled to make up for the loss of Burger Digs). If all the DC is used for queue/load/unload then the ride would have much more room for "the ride".

Oh and I 2nd (3rd, 4th....millionth) on losing the carni games, they just feel out of place.

Reactions: belloq87
Status
Not open for further replies.