Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 575 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, that's an incredibly wide gap.

On one end you have Hulk; which was built like a Six Flags ride in regards to theme. "Paint it Purple, its the Joker". Paint it green, it's the Hulk. Obviously maintenance and ops are completely on another level, and we have a relatively decent queue and much better ride vehicle, but the theming itself is absolutely nothing. In particular the back half that goes over back of house.

On the other end you have quite possibly the most intricately themed coaster in North America, if not the world. If it's not top, then it's certainly in the discussion.

So saying it'll be between a bare bones Six Flags theme and the best themed on the continent is so varying that it really doesn't tell us much of anything. :lol:

What? Lol. When's the last time you been to a Six flags? Hulk looks better than any coaster themed by SF when SF actually tries. Also... What else would you want them to do with how big the coaster is? The coaster is iconic in its own right, and lends itself well to the overall design and aesthetic to the park, and does not loom out of place in mshi. The Cobra roll is as iconic to the park as the JP discovery center or Mythos, or the lighthouse.... Probably more so to an average guest than any of the things I just mentioned.

Just cause the ride is "unthemed" does not mean it can't "work" in its own respective area. Hulk is aesthetically pleasing and blends with the surrounding area very well. The criticism with six flags is that they've just put rides in anywhere without really, really paying attention to how that ride will look throught the whole park. Hulk... Isn't like that. Infact think about how many places in the park you can see it... Usually its when you're by the water. Looking out at all the other well defined islands and their respective waterfront weenies. Those waterfront views and the things you can see from them are very much intentional, and when you're deep into each island every other island and weenie disappears( For the most part).

Also... Uni and Disney are on a completely different playing field... I never expect from a regional park what I do from Universal or Disney. Its the difference between McDonald's and a nice Steakhouse. With a few outliers sprinkled about.

Also... Hagrid coaster looks great but lets go full stop on calling it the best themed coaster, even on the continent when none of us have ridden it yet. It looks great, but then you have rides like Gringotts and The Mummy where the merit of the "Theme" is enhanced by (faked) 360 degree sets throughout almost the entirety of the ride, and darkness and ultimate control over where light goes. Hagrid looks like its a great ride and certainly, from a prop and environment perspective looks absolutely amazing... But ultimately its still an outdoor rollercoaster, and outdoor environments just arent as conducive to immersion as being indoors. In a more controlled setting and environment you can just do more to make thing blend.

The one thing that really, really impresses me about the ride is the landscaping. The ride will thrive or fail on just how good they all the plant life blends into everything they're trying to hide with it.

I look forward to seeing just how great everything looks and feels when on the ride.

And I say all this to make the point, if its better themed than Hulk, we'll be alright. Its a giant coaster... What else are you sposed to do? Lol. Im more concerned about the idea of the top hat throwing off the visual scale of hogwarts.

Last edited:
Hulk looks better than any coaster themed by SF when SF actually tries.
No it doesn’t.

Also... What else would you want them to do with how big the coaster is?
Nothing. I think Hulk works and fits perfectly how it’s built.

The coaster is iconic in its own right, and lends itself well to the overall design and aesthetic to the park, and does not loom out of place in mshi.
Agreed. I never said otherwise.

The Cobra roll is as iconic to the park as the JP discovery center or Mythos, or the lighthouse.... Probably more so to an average guest than any of the things I just mentioned.

Just cause the ride is "unthemed" does not mean it can't "work" in its own respective area.

Hulk is aesthetically pleasing and blends with the surrounding area very well.

I’m more than fine with Hulk. The placement is much more thought out and I wouldn’t want IoA without Hulk just as it is.
Still: Hulk, sans the queue, ride vehicles and launch tunnel, as I said originally, it’s themed identically to any six flags “Joker”, “Batman” Or “Wonder Woman” Coaster.
Purple/Green = Joker.
Black/Yellow = Batman.
Red/Blue/Gold = Wonder Woman.
Green = Hulk.

Again, I don’t know argument you are trying to “counter” me with. I’m in agreement. That’s why I chose my words carefully.

Also... Hagrid coaster looks great but lets go full stop on calling it the best themed coaster, even on the continent when none of us have ridden it yet. It looks great, but then you have rides like Gringotts and The Mummy where the merit of the "Theme" is enhanced by (faked) 360 degree sets throughout almost the entirety of the ride, and darkness and ultimate control over where light goes. Hagrid looks like its a great ride and certainly, from a prop and environment perspective looks absolutely amazing... But ultimately its still an outdoor rollercoaster, and outdoor environments just arent as conducive to immersion as being indoors. In a more controlled setting and environment you can just do more to make thing blend.
Dafuq are you even going on about?

image0.jpg
image1.jpg

They seem to be focusing on the area where the rumored top hat would be, so maybe they need to go a little deeper/a little more sturdy for the supports there given the supposed forces that may come from a 70+ mph launch into a top hat?
I think that would be a reasonable assumption. Higher you go deeper you dig (or add more mass) for the forces

Last edited:
Apparently the T-Rex photo op is now fully gone. Any confirmation that this is so?

I don't particularly need to see visual evidence of it -- the thought is painful enough!

Those are driven wooden piles, made for lower loadings than the auger cast piles being installed with the larger crane. Again, it looks like they are using a wide range of foundation systems on this one. I'd guess they still have a few weeks before they begin traditional "footer" style foundations.

It's looking like the Amazon, or Asian, rain forest after the loggers went through...ooops, that's a AK raft ride..;):lol:.....Anyway, all joking aside, I'm looking forward to the partially themed coaster and a reforested jungle in 15 to 24 months.

Probably ain't gonna happen, but they could use Rexy as a scenery piece for the coaster to fly by.

With how popular the photo ops are, gotta imagine they'll be back in some form. Hopefully... :look:

Reactions: therock
Status
Not open for further replies.