Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 591 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Work on the ponds near Burger Digs is going on today. Hearing there’s an excavator there now. This area will be expanded, filling in the ponds to open up the area, add more outdoor seating, and give the skill games a new home.

(This may also have something to do with new Forbidden Journey lockers, strangely enough.)

While I love new stuff, I hate to see whimsy thrown to the hounds.
I think part of the reason is to widen this pathway while retaining outdoor seating, (as the coaster will be right to the edge of former Raptor Encounter area there).

When they closed the ponds off to through traffic it kinda killed the peacefully garden vibe back there for me. I used to love walking though back in the day. But with just a big wall blocking the middle path and families eating burgers in the middle, it lost its charm. (Not to mention the few years it was a designated smoking area prior.)

One would hope the new area includes unique landscape or planter features. Or something besides just endless concrete.

I think part of the reason is to widen this pathway while retaining outdoor seating, (as the coaster will be right to the edge of former Raptor Encounter area there).

When they closed the ponds off to through traffic it kinda killed the peacefully garden vibe back there for me. I used to love walking though back in the day. But with just a big wall blocking the middle path and families eating burgers in the middle, it lost its charm. (Not to mention the few years it was a designated smoking area prior.)

One would hope the new area includes unique landscape or planter features. Or something besides just endless concrete.
Yeah. That entire area is very barren right now, and really has no resemblance to the Jurassic Park land we knew. Except for the sound of the heavy excavating equipment, that emits sounds akin to dino's fighting each other, on the other side of the wall, the area is pretty damn ugly. It's going to be a tough 18-24 months to deal with until the light at the end of the tunnel. This is about the most disruptive I've ever seen to a theme park area for an expansion, probably due to it's location. It has far reaching uglification ramifications. As I've said before, it looks like the Brazilian logging destroying parts of the Amazon jungle. At least the end result will be a new attraction, hopefully with at least some theming and good landscaping to hide the coaster supports.

Last edited:
I rarely take a strong stance based on rumors, but there's no way this track is going under that bridge for a few reasons:
1) Those vertical posts are way to close horizontally.
2) The bridge isn't tall enough. We need a lot more vertical clearance if the track were to be set on the water with the current bridge height. For example, the closest Hulk's track gets to the water line is about ~4' (my guestimation), and that's to the already-raised faux water-line that's a ~foot above the rest of the lagoon. So, instead they'd have to dig down to have enough clearance, similar to the hulk and in that situation I highly doubt they would have gone with a wooden bridge. There would have to be a cage to stop people throwing stuff on the trains, and that cage would have to be attached to something. Also there's no room to build a "tunnel" because of reason 1 above.

There is one way I see this coaster going under the bridge, and that's if the current pilings are the last set before they start building a concrete tunnel like Hulk's.

Excuse the extremely stylized photo, only one I could find from this vantage point.

hulk.jpg

This is my major concern for this entire JP transformation project.

Yeah. That entire area is very barren right now, and really has no resemblance to the Jurassic Park land we knew. Except for the sound of the heavy excavating equipment, that emits sounds akin to dino's fighting each other, on the other side of the wall, the area is pretty damn ugly. It's going to be a tough 18-24 months to deal with until the light at the end of the tunnel. This is about the most disruptive I've ever seen to a theme park area for an expansion, probably due to it's location. It has far reaching uglification ramifications. As I've said before, it looks like the Brazilian logging destroying parts of the Amazon jungle. At least the end result will be a new attraction, hopefully with at least some theming and good landscaping to hide the coaster supports.

It's stunning just looking at photos, so I can't even imagine what it looks like in person. I don't envision spending any time in the land when I'm there in January, other than the time it takes to get to and from River Adventure.

Which is really unfortunate, since the land was - as of only a couple months ago - a place I loved to spend time and linger in. I fear it never will be again.

Reactions: therock and Mad Dog
This is my major concern for this entire JP transformation project.

It's stunning just looking at photos, so I can't even imagine what it looks like in person. I don't envision spending any time in the land when I'm there in January, other than the time it takes to get to and from River Adventure.

Which is really unfortunate, since the land was - as of only a couple months ago - a place I loved to spend time and linger in. I fear it never will be again.
Yeah, we kind of just popped through the land real quick, except for a stop to ride JPRA. It's pretty much an ugly uninviting mess at this point in time....plus pretty hot since most of the shade is gone.

Work on the ponds near Burger Digs is going on today. Hearing there’s an excavator there now. This area will be expanded, filling in the ponds to open up the area, add more outdoor seating, and give the skill games a new home.

(This may also have something to do with new Forbidden Journey lockers, strangely enough.)

While I love new stuff, I hate to see whimsy thrown to the hounds.

Hoping for a water fall to be constructed, would really be a nice touch.

RIP the ponds

Yes, they were quite beautiful & created a nice tranquil atmosphere.

They could accomplish both. They could still keep water features and expand walkways and seating areas.

Bridges over small “creeks”, pavers over water, Elevated rockwork/waterfalls similar to japan pavilion. Etc etc.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. It’s just likely that there isn’t a will.

They could accomplish both. They could still keep water features and expand walkways and seating areas.

Bridges over small “creeks”, pavers over water, Elevated rockwork/waterfalls similar to japan pavilion. Etc etc.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. It’s just likely that there isn’t a will.
Like you said, they could accomplish that, and it would be great. However I doubt they have the will, and we'll be rushing through JP for the next 18-24 months, since it's too much of a hot ugly mess to hang around on a vacation.

Reactions: Andysol
hqdefault.jpg

Now eventually you might still have a jungle on your... on your jungle island, right? Hello?

Status
Not open for further replies.