Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 776 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll continue to repeat this ad nauseam in this thread. These newer style Intamins are much more fluid and family minded than their coaster designs from the early 2000’s. Is it going to be thrilling? Absolutely. Is it also designed with the general public’s comfort in mind? Completely.

You’re getting one hell of an awesome coaster out of this, just don’t go in expecting Iron Gwazi because this ain’t it.

Reactions: jarmor and JoeCamel
I’ll continue to repeat this ad nauseam in this thread. These newer style Intamins are much more fluid and family minded than their coaster designs from the early 2000’s. Is it going to be thrilling? Absolutely. Is it also designed with the general public’s comfort in mind? Completely.

You’re getting one hell of an awesome coaster out of this, just don’t go in expecting Iron Gwazi because this ain’t it.

I think this will be about the same level of thrill as Hulk.

It’s hard to judge how intimidating the GP will find this.

Reactions: redy2468
I think this will be about the same level of thrill as Hulk.

It’s hard to judge how intimidating the GP will find this.
Hulk's probably a good baseline, with room to grow depending on the intensity of launch#2. I personally think this will end up having some of the more intense moments on property, and even in Florida. As far as the GP, they could be a little wary of Velocicoaster. Spending a lot of time in SeaWorld, I've seen an absurd amount of people chicken out of Mako just on face value. One look at that top hat is definitely going to put a knot in any non-thoosie stomach.

Hulk's probably a good baseline, with room to grow depending on the intensity of launch#2. I personally think this will end up having some of the more intense moments on property, and even in Florida. As far as the GP, they could be a little wary of Velocicoaster. Spending a lot of time in SeaWorld, I've seen an absurd amount of people chicken out of Mako just on face value. One look at that top hat is definitely going to put a knot in any non-thoosie stomach.

That’s the thing. I’ve seen people ride Hulk but chicken out of HRRR.

Well themed rides are great but the visual psychological element plays such a huge role in ride design. Falcon’s Fury is incredibly tame but the thought of looking straight down from over 300ft is the worst part of it.

^ So, that has nothing to do with why that trim is where it is. You can’t say they’re going to over speed a launch one post and then say they’re trying to minimize negative forces in another as an explanation for the trim. The trim is where it is for the sake of the second half of the ride. Parc Asterix is doing the same thing with their new coaster coming out in 2022.

• Love
Reactions: jarmor
^ So, that has nothing to do with why that trim is where it is. You can’t say they’re going to over speed a launch one post and then say they’re trying to minimize negative forces in another as an explanation for the trim. The trim is where it is for the sake of the second half of the ride. Parc Asterix is doing the same thing with their new coaster coming out in 2022.
I mean, it was all speculation in the first place

They can overspeed a launch, slow it down at the top, and control the speed on the second half all at the same time

Given the technology for this 'trim'.

Could it also be used to 'catch' (For a lack of a better word) the train if it predicts a roll back is going to happen and provide enough pull to get it over the crest?

The trim isn’t going to catch a full train and propel it over the top. It’s there to regular the speed for the second half of the ride. They put the biggest elements in a very tight spot and this will help the train maneuver them at a normal speed.

Intamin even marketed the top hat trim as an “Anticipation Stall” at IAAPA. Look at how similar the second halves of JP and the Parc Asterix coaster are.

The trim isn’t going to catch a full train and propel it over the top. It’s there to regular the speed for the second half of the ride. They put the biggest elements in a very tight spot and this will help the train maneuver them at a normal speed.

Intamin even marketed the top hat trim as an “Anticipation Stall” at IAAPA. Look at how similar the second halves of JP and the Parc Asterix coaster are.

That sounds like the same thing to me.

CE261CF4-CD5D-478D-B956-DB760BD71DC7.jpeg

It’s offering a ‘cliff hanging experience’ which means it’s controlling the speed over the crest. Sounds similar to what B&M do on their Dive coasters.

All the speed calculations I saw used the height of the tophat to get an estimate of top speed from the launch. Maybe with the trim at the top it could be more forceful? I admit I know nothing of coaster features or tech but it seems the trim could make up for 10 mph more on the launch?

That sounds like the same thing to me.

View attachment 12856

It’s offering a ‘cliff hanging experience’ which means it’s controlling the speed over the crest. Sounds similar to what B&M do on their Dive coasters.

It’s not, there’s nothing driving the train forward, gravity does that. The static magnet only serves to slow down the train as it crests downwards into the drop. This reduces the speed overages you’d get if you let it fly through the rest of the relatively low layout without a mag in place.

Could fins be used to also push a train down if there was a stall? Like manually triggered to dislodge a stalled train? Serious question, I literally don’t know. Maybe these could serve dual purpose then, in addition to the normal trimming.
These can also be used for telling the operator at what point a train is located on track. Once the train clears the top hat another train can be launched. Honestly I can't see more than 3-4 trains on track at any given point. So capacity may not be able to keep up with demand...a la Hagrids. Best guess on the three on the top hat is the first one is being used for this reason, the other two are being used for speed control. But that's just a guess.

All the speed calculations I saw used the height of the tophat to get an estimate of top speed from the launch. Maybe with the trim at the top it could be more forceful? I admit I know nothing of coaster features or tech but it seems the trim could make up for 10 mph more on the launch?
This has been my thought after reading the last two pages as well. I don’t necessarily think they will surpass Mako’s speed, but the top hat launch might be faster than I was thinking before the trims. I could see the announcement coming early this week since they had to let people down last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.