Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 216 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really really don't think they should demolish the Discovery Center for another thrill ride. I think things like that that everybody can do, that's more predicated around exploration, shouldn't be sacrificed. They round out the park experience. If anything, I would say retheme it to the Innovation Center from Jurassic World. I would kill for another big Jurassic Park ride, it is more appealing to me personally than the Discovery Center, but I just absolutely don't think they should get rid of that. Make sure there's plenty to do for everybody.

Reactions: DragonSlayer
I could see it going both ways but one interesting thing is that in JW they created a merchandising draw for both JW but also JP in saying that JP merchandise is highly sought after

River adventure would probably be better with a JW retheme anyways. Forcing to add new animatronics, effects and a new setting would make for the refurb we all wanted anyways, especially with an indominus Rex finale. Also deny it all you want but the innovention center >>>> discovery center. Especially with that lead up with all the shops, resturants and attractions. I feel like some of you went into JW thinking "this will never be good as JP, it'll never work at the theme parks". And while you might think that, why can't you just like both and appriciate the better setting JW has to offer? There's no way they are making a new JP attraction with no JW affiliation whatsoever, it's an impossibility at this point

The Spider-Man upgrade/advertising package proves Uni is willing to upgrade existing attractions if the upgrade is significant enough to hawk. In other words - if adding some new dinos/effects/decorations to River Adventure could rebrand it as a "Jurassic World River Adventure," they'd totally do it. Cheaper than building an entire new ride.

Saw the movie last night. Easily the best JP sequel - a lot of fun, knew exactly what it was and gave the audience everything it wanted. Definitely theme park attraction potential if they chose to develop new stuff. It's a dodgy script, story logic/character development wise, but the film is so much wish fulfillment I don't think people really care. The characters are likable - they may be flat, but that's apparently enough.

River adventure would probably be better with a JW retheme anyways. Forcing to add new animatronics, effects and a new setting would make for the refurb we all wanted anyways, especially with an indominus Rex finale. Also deny it all you want but the innovention center >>>> discovery center. Especially with that lead up with all the shops, resturants and attractions. I feel like some of you went into JW thinking "this will never be good as JP, it'll never work at the theme parks". And while you might think that, why can't you just like both and appriciate the better setting JW has to offer? There's no way they are making a new JP attraction with no JW affiliation whatsoever, it's an impossibility at this point

I don't think too many would attempt to argue that JURASSIC WORLD - however good and enjoyable it is (and it is) - is somehow a better or more important or more culturally significant film than JURASSIC PARK. And I'm not necessarily saying that's what you believe, certainly, but it feeds into the idea that whatever is currently hot is somehow "better" than the classics simply because it's current.

JURASSIC WORLD could well be the inspiration for new components for the JP land at IOA, but it shouldn't be an all or nothing proposition (i.e. either retheme the entire land to be JW compliant or don't add anything at all). It is possible to have a new attraction based on something from JW that can still coexist quite comfortably in the land as-is.

In any case, I think we can agree that something new of substance for the land would be a very welcome development; if the box office estimates for WORLD's opening weekend continue to rise, it could have a chance (albeit slim) to break the opening weekend record... and if that happens, I think Universal will have to act. At worst, it's looking like $180+ million, which is still an insane number that I don't think Universal Creative could ignore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick
Does everyone remember this video?

Jurassic Park, the land, is a sequel to Jurassic Park, the film, and it's the version where Hammond, more or less, "gets it right". The chaos and carnage of Jurassic Park is intentionally isolated to the River Adventure, and the rest of the land is Jurassic Park as the success it was intended to be. In a sense, Jurassic Park at IOA is Jurassic World.

Remember when Jack Sparrow was added to Pirates? The reasoning was that this new generation will watch Pirates of the Caribbean before riding Pirates of the Caribbean. We're in a similar situation here. Jurassic World really needs to be integrated into the original land. Kids will watch this film in total awe and will want to see dinosaurs for real, and they will expect the visuals of the film. Universal needs to use at least the remainder of the Trike land to add some family attractions, and the island might need some rebranding while paying ample respect to the original Jurassic Park.

Given JW's obvious success (see below), it will remain in the public's eye for years to come. Sequels are imminent. I would not be surprised if concepts were dusted off and fast-tracked very soon.

When are we going to see Jurassic Park really expand? And when will it be renamed into JW? Like I'm looking for something big like an e-ticket attraction....probably before or after Kong opens in 16'? Ps- keep the river adventure the way it is....it's a spectacular attraction to begin with; doesn't need any changes whatsover. If anything a couple of animatronics. Is universal just going to wait and focus on kong now and wait for the fm possible future expansion plans for Jurassic world? The raptor experience isn't really an attraction I was looking for....when are they going g to really really expand?

I'll be happy either way, as long as they keep the technology up-to-date and make sure everything is working ;)

I will always love the original movie, haven't seen the latest but the visuals are quite stunning. The concept behind the land is bigger than any of the movies in my eye.

I doubt there will be anything more than renaming JPRA to JWRA. They might also add the mutant dino to the ride somewhere, perhaps replace the T-Rex? That and a indominus (SP) photo op and family coaster.

Ok, put the Jurassic World entry arch near Kong. Turn Thunder Falls into Winston's Chophouse (TS)/Margaritaville Libation Station (covered outdoor drink deck). Gyrospheres into the remaining Trike plot. Leave the JP arch and Discovery Center on the Potter side.

I would love to see the Gyrospheres become IOA's PeopleMover. Only problem I foresee is capacity. Two people per 20 seconds won't work.

Jurassic Park had 2 expansion plots. One went to Harry Potter, the other to Kong.

The Gyrospheres look neat for a photo op. And I will admit could make an interesting ride, but it would need the space of JPRA to be worth it (space they do not have).

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
You all are in such denial, just because something is a classic and culturally significant, doesn't mean it's automatically better for the park. Are you really saying that the two things shown in JP (discovery center tour and jeep ride) are just a billion times better than the completely fleshed out and attraction filled JW? Because it's classic? Really?

As someone who recently saw Jurassic World and liked it a lot, and would also like to see something new in the area...I don't think I'd like to see Jurassic Park in Islands of Adventure flipped upside down and rethemed to JW.

I guess it makes some sense from a business standpoint on paper...but I don't know. I liked Jurassic World, but Jurassic Park 1 is the one true masterpiece in the series IMO and my favorite film of all time, so naturally the land in IOA as it currently stands resonates with me the most out of any area in Universal Orlando. I especially don't want to see iconic structures like the Discovery Center bulldozed down for some new thing. And I most certainly DO NOT want to see the Tyrannosaur at the end of River Adventure replaced by the Indominus Rex or any other dinosaur. That'd be like shoehorning the Spinosaurus in Rexy's place back in 2001 just because of Jurassic Park 3 coming out (Considering they jacked off so much to the Spino in JP3, I'm surprised they didn't do it).

*spoilers for Jurassic World*

Man, that part where the Tyranno bulldozes the Spinosaur skeleton in Jurassic World was so damn satisfying.

I just hope we get a new e ticket after what looks like a record breaking opening weekend for JW...I wouldn't be opposed to a total retheme to JW either.....maybe update RA to handle the aquatic dinos and an eticket gyro ride with lots more AA or puppet dinos around the land

I especially don't want to see iconic structures like the Discovery Center bulldozed down for some new thing. And I most certainly DO NOT want to see the Tyrannosaur at the end of River Adventure replaced by the Indominus Rex or any other dinosaur.

I have to agree with the Rex at the end of JPRA. I wouldn't want to see the I-Rex in that spot. I fear that if it's rethemed to JW, it would make total sense to replace her with an I-Rex, but unless the island gets a retheme, I would like the Rex to remain in place.

Another ride featuring the I-Rex would be really awesome, though.

You guys are getting a little carried away I think. First of all, I agree that box office doesn't need to be the sole motivator for theme park attractions. But one weekend is too early to tell if something will last. I mean Disney jumped the gun on Avatar and that was a few months after that had finished its theatrical run. So this whole conversation IMO is happening a couple months too early.=

Disney didn't sign on with Cameron/Avatar until 3 years after Avatar was released

Reactions: anihilnation
I have to agree with the Rex at the end of JPRA. I wouldn't want to see the I-Rex in that spot. I fear that if it's rethemed to JW, it would make total sense to replace her with an I-Rex, but unless the island gets a retheme, I would like the Rex to remain in place.

Another ride featuring the I-Rex would be really awesome, though.

Put an I-Rex where the lame Jurassic Park III tease in River Adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.