Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 802 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use to be a full-throated Disney fan for my entire life, I much preferred them to the Universal parks, but I have to say that isn't the case anymore. Over the past decade Universal has undoubtedly stepped up their game, and as much as I credit Universal, I blame Disney for me becoming disenfranchised. Today's Universal reminds me of Disney in the 90s-- massive expansion, building new parks (ie. Volcano Bay, *pre pandemic* Epic Universe) building new hotels and continual updating throughout the parks. Disney just seems stale at this point. Yes, Disney spent billions on redoing DHS, but it didn't feel well planned like DCA's overhaul did. We got an OK Toy Story Land, management's crown jewel (Galaxy's Edge) and a replacement for the Great Movie Ride... call me crazy but DHS still needs more than that; and again there's no balance at the park; it doesn't need more E-Tickets, it needs fillers, and a water attraction (the only WDW park that doesn't have one). It's crazy to me, but Universal's parks are way more balanced than Disney's at the moment (outside of MK).
And while Disney has always cloned rides, Tron just feels lazy and Ratatouille is about five years too late; WDW's other trackless rides (ROTR, MMRR) are far superior, and like another member pointed out earlier, the Guardians of the Galaxy ride at Epcot feels very much like Rock 'N' Roller Coaster.
Disney is building roller coasters in huge (ugly) buildings while Universal is building elaborate outdoor, themed coasters... who would have thought!
In my mind there is no competition between Tron and Guardians vs. Hagrids and Velocicoaster; Universal hands down wins that battle, not only with the actual coasters, but the theming.

I use to be a full-throated Disney fan for my entire life, I much preferred them to the Universal parks, but I have to say that isn't the case anymore. Over the past decade Universal has undoubtedly stepped up their game, and as much as I credit Universal, I blame Disney for me becoming disenfranchised. Today's Universal reminds me of Disney in the 90s-- massive expansion, building new parks (ie. Volcano Bay, *pre pandemic* Epic Universe) building new hotels and continual updating throughout the parks. Disney just seems stale at this point. Yes, Disney spent billions on redoing DHS, but it didn't feel well planned like DCA's overhaul did. We got an OK Toy Story Land, management's crown jewel (Galaxy's Edge) and a replacement for the Great Movie Ride... call me crazy but DHS still needs more than that; and again there's no balance at the park; it doesn't need more E-Tickets, it needs fillers, and a water attraction (the only WDW park that doesn't have one). It's crazy to me, but Universal's parks are way more balanced than Disney's at the moment (outside of MK).
And while Disney has always cloned rides, Tron just feels lazy and Ratatouille is about five years too late; WDW's other trackless rides (ROTR, MMRR) are far superior, and like another member pointed out earlier, the Guardians of the Galaxy ride at Epcot feels very much like Rock 'N' Roller Coaster.
Disney is building roller coasters in huge (ugly) buildings while Universal is building elaborate outdoor, themed coasters... who would have thought!
In my mind there is no competition between Tron and Guardians vs. Hagrids and Velocicoaster; Universal hands down wins that battle, not only with the actual coasters, but the theming.
I have felt this way since the dead years. Now I have no desire to attend WDW, maybe in the future

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
Ratatouille is about five years too late; WDW's other trackless rides (ROTR, MMRR) are far superior

It really irks me that Disney took so long to bring trackless technology to the states. After Pooh in Tokyo & Mystery Manor in Hong Kong....you'd think that something would have been developed here. Beauty & the Beast would have been perfect for the Fantasyland expansion instead of Little Mermaid.

And to bring the conversation back to Velocicoaster....this is obviously going to be one of the most amazing coasters ever built in this country.

Last edited by a moderator:

The new additions to UOR have helped, but I still think a trip to Studios mostly feels like 3D Movie ride: The park, with few exceptions. These rides grow stale to me compared to traditional dark rides...thankfully UOR seems to be correcting this problem and I think EU will really help things as well. Disney has 4 parks and way too many hotels....I think they have just gotten "too big" for their own good. The new additions will help. I'd argue that Tron Coaster (while a clone) is a "well themed coaster", outside and inside. GOTG isn't open yet, so you can't really judge the ride by it's "building", remember when people wanted Hagrid to be "inside" so it could be better themed? Disney dropping or stalling the EPCOT refurb will probably be it's biggest mistake. That park greatly needed a complete refresh, and I was really looking forward to it. Hope that doesn't completely fall off the agenda.

ANYWAY....this coaster looks fantastic.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Ive been out of the loop for the past weekend or so (For those who saw in other threads, Sister arrived in Scotland safely moments ago!!), but uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, anyone been over to Themeparx? Can I discuss how amazing it looks, or discuss at all? All ill say is head over there for potential early concept art, or real concept art, but DEFINETELY new things or ideas. I doubt the drawings are accurate but if they are then OMGGGG.

Reactions: alias8703
One thing which intrigues me about this is the specifics of the theme. Obviously we know that its heavily raptor themed, but to me that opens up the following possibilities;

1. The train (and therefore the guests) actually are a raptor running through the paddock. On one hand it would make sense as you seem to enter the main ride through a raptor cage, but it doesn't really make sense with the elements and inversions in the ride as clearly raptors can't fly.

2. The train is a car/vehicle of some sort taking guests through the raptor enclosure and something goes wrong so they have to escape (as I think the ride does venture out of the enclosure,) again it doesn't really follow with the elements in the ride unless we're meant to be in planes?

3. The ride is meant to be a Jurassic World roller coaster which is situated in the raptor enclosure - seems an odd place to put a coaster and it also seems to remove the 'something goes wrong,' element as a coaster can't really divert its path from the track, so if something did go wrong then there's not a great deal that can be done, although I guess there is room for some interaction from the raptor's themselves to achieve this?

Reactions: belloq87
One thing which intrigues me about this is the specifics of the theme. Obviously we know that its heavily raptor themed, but to me that opens up the following possibilities;

1. The train (and therefore the guests) actually are a raptor running through the paddock. On one hand it would make sense as you seem to enter the main ride through a raptor cage, but it doesn't really make sense with the elements and inversions in the ride as clearly raptors can't fly.

2. The train is a car/vehicle of some sort taking guests through the raptor enclosure and something goes wrong so they have to escape (as I think the ride does venture out of the enclosure,) again it doesn't really follow with the elements in the ride unless we're meant to be in planes?

3. The ride is meant to be a Jurassic World roller coaster which is situated in the raptor enclosure - seems an odd place to put a coaster and it also seems to remove the 'something goes wrong,' element as a coaster can't really divert its path from the track, so if something did go wrong then there's not a great deal that can be done, although I guess there is room for some interaction from the raptor's themselves to achieve this?

And of course something goes wrong. It is the basic storyline of every Jurassic film AND every Universal attraction. But it would be hilarious if it didn't.

In which case you'd think that the animatronics, props etc etc must get very involved in the ride as how else do you create the 'something going wrong' element?

I know that there clearly are raptors present, and by the sounds of it some animatronic raptors, but given the speed of the coaster I'd be interested to see how they plan to encorporate this into the ride.

In which case you'd think that the animatronics, props etc etc must get very involved in the ride as how else do you create the 'something going wrong' element?

I know that there clearly are raptors present, and by the sounds of it some animatronic raptors, but given the speed of the coaster I'd be interested to see how they plan to encorporate this into the ride.
Velociraptors are very clever. Never underestimate them.

As cool as the above looks I doubt its anywhere close to reality, for one thing barely any of the ride is indoors barring the opening launch and post-show?

An AA Indo would be a surprise.
Especially considering the Indoraptor was created by bad guys after Jurassic World the theme park had already closed.

The other two sketches that were shared Are more interesting to me.

Also, I believe the artist took creative liberties in some of his publicly facing art gallery collections, considering his portrait of Reign of Kong has a dragon atop the gates. An attraction he says he worked on in his About page. Yet, it’s not a dragon from any of the King Kong stories. So, yea.

Status
Not open for further replies.