Kennywood Park | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Kennywood Park

Mad Dog

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2013
Pittsburgh area
This feels like a money thing.
Hard to tell. They really don't change their houses much from one year to the next. So, I'm thinking it's money in the case of not wanting to spend to redo all the houses to accommodate safety standards for covid. I'm kind of surprised they're still keeping the park open. Of course, with their company hdq., for all intents and purposes, in Pittsburgh now, they might want to see how things go.

Mad Dog

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2013
Pittsburgh area
Probably cost cutting economics...... I loved the Paratrooper in my teen years. The only one not missed will be Volcano/Enterprise. Over the years, it was broken down more often than it worked....and The Kangaroo ride is the ride portion of the park mascot (Kenny the Kangaroo). Cruel world.

• Sad
Reactions: Disneyhead

Mad Dog

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2013
Pittsburgh area
The comments from the park's spokesperson, on these ride 'retirements' and ride 'retirements' at Idlewild park , basically say they are reactions to the economic issues that covid has caused across the entire amusement
park industry. Secondary issue is acquiring parts for these aging rides.

Disneyhead

Legendary Member
Jul 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
Probably cost cutting economics...... I loved the Paratrooper in my teen years. The only one not missed will be Volcano/Enterprise. Over the years, it was broken down more often than it worked....and The Kangaroo ride is the ride portion of the park mascot (Kenny the Kangaroo). Cruel world.
I am surprised they are getting rid of The Kangaroo. That is really one of the rides that define Kennywood.

Rideguy70

Veteran Member
Feb 17, 2016
Los Angeles
Agreed. Volcano (an off brand Entrprise type ride, if I recall) and Paratrooper rides that can be found in plenty of other places. But Bayern Kurves are very rare in the US (CGA being the only other one, and it is run in a very, very tame mode compared to Kennywood, who actually made the ride thrilling), and the horn is a classic. I got my last ride on it back when Steel Force opened, and it was a blast.

But the Kangaroo... that's a one of a kind, signature ride. Heck, it's the name of the park mascot. It'd be worth it to them to keep that one and put the money into it. That one really hurts.

Reactions: Mad Dog

Mad Dog

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2013
Pittsburgh area
Just received a survey from Kennywood. Looks like they are exploring the idea of adding additional festivals in the summer and fall. The 'potential' concepts they surveyed were;
*International Food, wine & beer Festival
*Roaring 20's ride, food and beverage Festival
*Steeler Tailgate parties/festivals
*Concert Festival

Reactions: Disneyhead