King Kong Speculation Thread | Page 54 | Inside Universal Forums

King Kong Speculation Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it won't make much sense if the King Kong attraction will be indeed located in jurassic park themed island, that's the worst thing they could do IMO, and make the whole ride in 3D wearing glasses. We may not even see a whole themed kong land...it just might be giant 3D screens outside while guests are riding the attraction.

I don't think they will go with 3D due to the ride will have Outdoor Sections and that was also confirmed with a AA outside so it wouldn't make sense for 3D to be on it if it goes out.

How about building an E ticket where I don't have to wear glasses at all?

That is my one complaint about Universal lately. I'm sick of the 3-D. Give me sets and animatronics instead please!

But screens allow so much more from a ride experience. Especially with all the tech you have today.... It's like hate said in a podcast would you rather see one aa or be around the characters we love the entire ride?

I definitely can't blame them for wanting to move away from the grandiose AA's that were previously common. A lot of the AA's don't age well and when you build your ride around a big finale with an super elaborate and expensive AA that doesn't live up to expectations or can't perform is a big concern. Even when the simple ones fail its a let down.

Just look at soul eating alien in ET, coffee break Mummy, Disco Yeti, and the cross-eyed lovers in Little Mermaid.

Just look at soul eating alien in ET, coffee break Mummy, Disco Yeti, and the cross-eyed lovers in Little Mermaid.

"Wel-come Hooome, I'll eat your sooul"

Seriously though, everyone gets on Universal about using screens in their attractions...You just can't do an agile Kong correctly without projection and hyper-realistic technology..A first 3-D screen of Spiderman moment is more impactful than the Yeti scene...maybe that's just me though

"Wel-come Hooome, I'll eat your sooul"

Seriously though, everyone gets on Universal about using screens in their attractions...You just can't do an agile Kong correctly without projection and hyper-realistic technology..A first 3-D screen of Spiderman moment is more impactful than the Yeti scene...maybe that's just me though

That's what I was getting at. I'd rather have 3-4 different scenes with the character than 1 aa scene

I know I'll get a bunch of crap if I call Universal Orlando "cheap" knowing very well they are doing all the right things right now but as far as upkeep goes, I'm sure they look for ways to save money and keeping up with Animatronics is not cheap especially in comparison to projection, when all you have to do is change a projector bulb...

I'm pretty sure those light bulbs aren't exactly cheap, but I think the cost savings and fact that they can make major changes without throwing something away completely are pretty big perks. I can't think of any ride changing as much as Spiderman without a complete refurb.

Its kinda crazy, back in 1999, Universal was praised for Spider-Man, and a lot of that had to do with the implementation of 3-D onto the moving ride vehicle--the 3-D was the absolute best part of the ride! Whereas Universal's rides that used animatronics (Jaws, ET, Men in Black) rarely received the same international recognition Spider-Man.

Either way, people are never going to be 100% satisfied. Spider-Man would have just been Indiana Jones had it not utilized 3-D...and yet Kong is now just Kong 360 WITH 3-D. Sure, maybe Universal has gotten a little dependent on the technology, that doesnt diminish its merits. Just like people complain about Universal not having AA-based rides, people complain about the AA-heavy Disney about not having enough fast-paced rides.

At the end of the day, 3-D is a game changer for theme park rides. Sure, Universal uses it a lot, but why shouldnt they? They pioneered a new capability of the technology and became critically-praised for doing so.

How about building an E ticket where I don't have to wear glasses at all?

That is my one complaint about Universal lately. I'm sick of the 3-D. Give me sets and animatronics instead please!

Rides featuring mainly animatronics are not the future anymore. Sure the 3-D can be a bit overkill but remember that IOA has one 3-D attraction. USF is the one with a bit of 3-D overkill right now with Minion Mayhem, Shrek, Transformers and Gringotts.

It's like hate said in a podcast would you rather see one aa or be around the characters we love the entire ride?

Rides featuring mainly animatronics are not the future anymore.

Everywhere outside of WDW begs to differ. Sindbad, Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Radiator Springs Racers, Mystic Manor and soon to be Ratatouille all demonstrate how valuable AA's still can be. Granted all of these also feature projection at some point, the sum being greater than the individual parts.

There is nothing wrong with screens and projection, but they REALLY show their age after a while. Captain EO and Splash Mountain were only built three years apart. One is still near perfection (if it's properly maintained), the other completely and horribly dated.

Last edited:
Its kinda crazy, back in 1999, Universal was praised for Spider-Man, and a lot of that had to do with the implementation of 3-D onto the moving ride vehicle--the 3-D was the absolute best part of the ride! Whereas Universal's rides that used animatronics (Jaws, ET, Men in Black) rarely received the same international recognition Spider-Man.

Either way, people are never going to be 100% satisfied. Spider-Man would have just been Indiana Jones had it not utilized 3-D...and yet Kong is now just Kong 360 WITH 3-D. Sure, maybe Universal has gotten a little dependent on the technology, that doesnt diminish its merits. Just like people complain about Universal not having AA-based rides, people complain about the AA-heavy Disney about not having enough fast-paced rides.

At the end of the day, 3-D is a game changer for theme park rides. Sure, Universal uses it a lot, but why shouldnt they? They pioneered a new capability of the technology and became critically-praised for doing so.
Good points. Disney, the king of AA's, seems to always have problems with their newer AA atttractions (Radiator Spring Racers, Little Mermaid, B&B Meet & Greet, Everest) They don't seem as dependable as they used to be. I'd rather have a great immersion experience like Transformers or Spider Man. AA's are OK for secondary parts of an attraction, but I'd rather have a great ride utilizing the newest technology for the prime portion of the ride. Universal does a good job of combining sets with tech. I think that's the way to go. I'm really looking forward to Gringotts & Kong combining the various tech elements with set scenes and AA's as supporting characters. It's the best of all worlds.

By the future, I was talking more about the future of Universal. Disney is obviously going to be a more AA orientated park. Universal started as an AA park with Kong, Jaws and later MIB. Plus IOA with Popeye, Dudley, Jurassic Park and CITH. But they are changing the way they do attractions and it is making them more popular than ever. They're still going to use some AAs, FJ uses some, but Universal knows it is cheaper and more effective to make E-ticket attractions utilizing the 3-D technology they've perfected. Plus like I said in a earlier post, this new Kong ride will be only the 2nd 3-D attraction at IOA, everything else is pretty much AAs or thrills.

The thing about 3-D screen rides is that they can be regularly updated...and eventually I'm sure they will be glasses free down the road...Disney unfortunately has the captial to spend hundreds of millions on AAs, while Universal decides to spend their money on ride technology..Same canvas, different types of paint

Status
Not open for further replies.