Knott's Berry Farm | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Knott's Berry Farm

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well, since SFMM is most likely not getting a megacoaster next year, maybe there's hope that will be Knott's 2020 coaster. I rode Diamondback at King's Island last week and I really enjoyed that ride! I really hope we get a B&M hyper akin to that or something along those lines. They can market it as the tallest coaster in the OC.

Well, since SFMM is most likely not getting a megacoaster next year, maybe there's hope that will be Knott's 2020 coaster. I rode Diamondback at King's Island last week and I really enjoyed that ride! I really hope we get a B&M hyper akin to that or something along those lines. They can market it as the tallest coaster in the OC.

To say this, my issue with Knotts getting a mega-coaster, lies to limited space.

If 2020 marks another coaster, my guess is something like a RMC Raptor. That said, I would be welcome to be surprised.

To say this, my issue with Knotts getting a mega-coaster, lies to limited space.

If 2020 marks another coaster, my guess is something like a RMC Raptor. That said, I would be welcome to be surprised.
They could do it. Just have it go over the hotel parking lot. They would probably have to build a two-story parking structure to make up for the space, but it could be done. An RMC Raptor would be fine too. It just sucks that SoCal is allergic to the idea of making a descent hyper coaster.

Double post, sorry. I went on Iron Reef yesterday and the ride is in really bad shape. The shooting barely works, the 3D was completely screwed up on the screens, the fog screen is completely turned off after the "dive" scene, the last scene where you view your score is in total disrepair (No more bubbles in the tubes, some of the the screens are off and the ones that are on are blurry), and the cars have some ware, tear, and defamation on them. To top it all off, the cars used to automatically pull out the front to let you out. Now they have you mush it out yourself. The only saving grace about this ride now is that it's air-conditioned.

This ride has always been mediocre, but now it's just embarrassing. Either Knott's doesn't give a crap about repairing this at all, or maybe they want to get rid of it (Hoping for the latter). Word on the street is that they signed a five-year contract with Triotech. The way the ride is, I don't see them renewing in 2020. I'm really hoping for a brand new dark ride for '21. The whole building and indoor queue is already done, so that saves them a ton on development costs. If the new manufacturer would let them, they could reuse the track.

Reactions: Dhdhddh and chris.g
While I agree, my question is what replaces it? Something Peanuts themed?
I have heard from someone who talked to some people behind the scenes that they were planning on a Midway Mania sort of ride with the Bear-y Tales theme as that would have been the fourtieth anniversary of the ride. They decided to go with the other proposed concept instead with Triotech and I'm sure they are shooting themselves for it now. I could see a Peanuts concept take place but I'd prefer Bear-y Tales.

Iron Reef needs to go. I thought it was poo poo since opening day. I appreciated West Coaster's honest non-butt kissing review of the ride.

Reactions: Freak
I'm not a fan of shooting rides in general. For Iron Reef, I'd say that as a ride, it's a disaster. But as a shooting game, I actually find it one of the better ones (I prefer it over Midway Mania). The reasons: the action is more continuous and flows better, and the colored beams are easier to work with.

That said, I haven't been on it in a while, so if it's getting run down, all bets are off.

Iron Reef is legitimately one of the worst rides I've ever been on, of any kind.
Bring back the dang Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, a LEGITIMATE classic. With updated animatronics, it could pull in crowds. I've never seen Bear-y Tales other than videos so I have no attachment to it.
But dinosaurs, time travel, soothing music, adventure?! THAT was the ultimate ride! I even liked it more than the Jurassic Park ride.
But also I have a lot of nostalgia towards it, so I'm bias.

Reactions: Freak and chris.g
Iron Reef is legitimately one of the worst rides I've ever been on, of any kind.
Bring back the dang Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, a LEGITIMATE classic. With updated animatronics, it could pull in crowds. I've never seen Bear-y Tales other than videos so I have no attachment to it.
But dinosaurs, time travel, soothing music, adventure?! THAT was the ultimate ride! I even liked it more than the Jurassic Park ride.
But also I have a lot of nostalgia towards it, so I'm bias.
I’m all for this. Even at the end of its life when it wasn’t so great, it was still WAY better than Iron Reef.

I would love to see a Dinosaur ride come back, preferably one where you sit and relax. Doesn’t have to be a gimmick. Just a slow moving bug ride in the air conditioning with dinosaurs. Is that so hard to do?

Ugh, I was never a fan of KoD. I suppose it was a bit better than IR... but not by much for me. That's how much I disliked that. But then again, I've never really had a think for dinosaurs, either.

Now, Knott's Berry Tales... that was an amazing ride. That I would love to see return. Never gonna happen obviously, but it was a great ride.

As I recall, when IR we being built, they were asked why that space had been vacant for so long. And their response (paraphrasing here, of course) was they they knew if they put in a traditional dark ride, it'd be endlessly and basically unfavorably compared to anything Disney has done--no matter how good it was (let's face it, it also woudn't get the budget to compare to Disney). They figured it was a no-win situation to go down that route, so they didn't even try.

While I know I'd love to see a Snoopy dark ride, I can't really blame their logic on that.

Knott's- Summer 2018

Our family has passes here, so we've been many times. I'll just note a few thoughts from our last visit...

1) GhostRider- Since it reopening in 2016, it has retained its status as my favorite traditional wooden coaster. However, dues to slow operations it must be ridden at the very beginning of the day of at the very end of one wishes to avoid a 2 hour + line. (My personal conspiracy theory about the operations; Since the pre-refurb version had the highest turnstile count of any wooden coaster in North America, and the ride, particularly with two trains on the course at once was literally shaking itself apart, a conscious effort was made to reduce capacity, and thus wear and tear. The removal of the midcourse brake effectively prevents two trains from being on the course simultaneously and the long set of block brakes at the end further slows dispatch times, while reducing stress on the structure.

2) Sierra Sidewinder- a great ride with a very low height requirement (42" ). (Hopfeully, we'll see a bigger version of this at SFMM next year.) Due to the increasing popularity of Knott's recent years, it's best to hit this early since the queue can get to over an hour by midday.

3). Hangtime- a great addition that packs maximum thrills into a small area and has decent throughput. The ride also looks awesome at night.

4) Bigfoot Rapids - a solid water ride that is the longest rapids ride I've been on. I'm hope that the rumors of an overhaul complete with animatronics in 2019 come true.

5) Voyage to the Iron Reef. Although this ride gets a lot criticism, my family and I really enjoy it. Although I've never experienced the blurred visuals and resultant gun inaccuracy, I know that this type of situation, caused by the projectors and the ride vehicles not being synched isn't uncommon on JL: BFM. Overall, I view it as a solid attraction that is much more popular the KOD was the end of Berry Tales, which I remember as a perennial walk on when I was a tyke. It might benefit from some TLC, however, as it hasn't had a rehab since it opened in 2015.

6) Xcellerator - Despite my kids not being able to ride it, is my favorite ride in the park. I can only imagine what the version that was initially planned (with a high G helix would have been like. (The helix was shelved as a precaution after the death on SFMM's Goliath, as well as the fatalities on Montezooma's and Perilous Plunge in 2001.)

**Looks at King’s Island thread and sees Giga as a serious rumor**

Since KI is likely to get a Giga and Cedar Fair doesn’t seem interested in RMC anymore....could this be a possibility? Please Knott’s?

C’mon, I will gladly settle for a descent hyper, but we need a really good traditional megacoaster out here but Giga pleeeeeeease.

I think a Mega coaster or a mack are our only options right now. I think RMC is out.

I think 2020 will be the big year, without a doubt for Knotts (centenary, is near).

I would not be shocked if 2020 would be when the hotel and entrance gets revamped, and that it'd lead then to the opportunity of Knotts doing something sizable like a Mega/Giga.

I think 2020 will be the big year, without a doubt for Knotts (centenary, is near).

I would not be shocked if 2020 would be when the hotel and entrance gets revamped, and that it'd lead then to the opportunity of Knotts doing something sizable like a Mega/Giga.
New entrance? Interesting. Knott’s is the most successful attendance-wise of the CF parks this year. Makes since to invest more into their most popular park. That’s not even considering it will be Knott’s 100th anniversary.

I’m curious to know what small project theyll do for next year. Mystery Lodge 2.0? New flat? Animatronics on Bigfoot?

New entrance? Interesting. Knott’s is the most successful attendance-wise of the CF parks this year. Makes since to invest more into their most popular park.

I’m curious to know what small project theyll do for next year. Mystery Lodge 2.0? New flat? Animatronics on Bigfoot?

I was not insinuating anything for 2020 on Knotts. But, I do think it'd be rather dumb if they ignore a huge milestone for them.