Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Knott's Berry Farm

Perilous Plunge has been closed for a few years, since that lady died.
The death on Perilous Plunge happened in 2001. The ride re-opened in 2002 with four point restraints retro fitted on the boats. 

In 2006, the ride got two brand new boats with standard over the shoulder restrains found on most looping coasters.  

Perilous Plunge was closed and demolished in 2012 for CoastRider, Surf Side Gliders and Pacific Scrambler.

Pretty much. I only visited the park once or twice when Perilous Plunge was still around.
I think whenever I visited it, the ride would either be shut down, or intermittently operating. What did they ever build on it? Haven't been in a few years.

I was lead to believe that the Perilous Plunge incident created the new California laws for water drop rides which is why JP River Adventure had the braking system changes.

Pardon my french but that's some scary sh*t.  

Knowing the ride, I immediately saw the problem happen and knew something was wrong.  Its amazing how guests who don't pay attention (like the dad) took so long to notice a problem.  His face when he recognizes the smoke is priceless.  The poor kid saying "Dad help!" is creepy and the dad is clueless.

How the hell did this video leak and why hasn't it been removed?

Last edited by a moderator:
The video wasn't exactly leaked or uploaded without permission. The ride has on ride videos. Either those affected or other guests purchased the video. I'm guessing. Or maybe it was released to the news after the accident? I feel like I remember that happening. Either way, terrifying.

As mentioned a few times, Surf Side Gliders, CoastRider, and Pacific Scrambler and the new Boardwalk family area replaced it.

Perilous Plunge would've been cool if they built a small dark ride around the drop and then have it culminate with the drop. Maybe with dinosaurs. That's always fun ;)
Bring Kingdom of the Dinosaurs back and make it a JP ride knockoff? :p Ironic though, I remember seeing a Jurassic Park arcade cabinet in one of the Knott's Berry Farm arcades the last time I went.

I remember seeing a Jurassic Park arcade cabinet in one of the Knott's Berry Farm arcades the last time I went.
They still have a Lost World arcade game. A rare specimen :p  , it's a shame that Jurassic Park arcade games are an endangered species these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lead to believe that the Perilous Plunge incident created the new California laws for water drop rides which is why JP River Adventure had the braking system changes.

Pardon my french but that's some scary sh*t.  

Knowing the ride, I immediately saw the problem happen and knew something was wrong.  Its amazing how guests who don't pay attention (like the dad) took so long to notice a problem.  His face when he recognizes the smoke is priceless.  The poor kid saying "Dad help!" is creepy and the dad is clueless.

How the hell did this video leak and why hasn't it been removed?
I doubt the magnetic breaking system that JP uses now is a result of the accident at Knotts.  The accident at Knotts was due to improperly trained/ ignorant employees.  The woman that was ejected from the ride should have never been allowed to ride.

JP breaking system + water cannons is likely Universals attempt to control the size of the splash at the end of the ride, boosting ridership during the cooler months of the year.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-knotts-berry-farm-voyage-iron-reef-20141113-story.html?nrfd#page=1

Well that was early.

This definitely is not Guardian... looks like diet Transformers crossed with Buzz Lightyear. It's the same team as Guardian, but it looks to have a slightly higher budget and the KBF team that helped make Calico and the Timber Mountain redos are decorating the sets. No animatronics though, sadly. 

This is one I'm going to have to wait to see the final product for.