Kraken Unleashed | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Kraken Unleashed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Seems a hellish long down time but hopefully I'll get a welcome suprise and the project will finish well ahead of schedule. Maybe some caution in their summer announcement with it being new tech? I'm probably just dreaming too much! :)

Honestly, it needs it. Kraken is great, but man is it in rough shape. :lol:

Honestly, it needs it. Kraken is great, but man is it in rough shape. :lol:

Only rode it last summer I didn't think it was rough at all, queue was weak but moved fast so it wasn't an issue. Only downside was that tunnel in the second half of the ride which should have probably been a bit more exciting rather than a concrete mess.

Is the roughness in a coaster caused by a deteriation of the track, the wheels, or both, and can it be solved by refurb?

Only rode it last summer I didn't think it was rough at all, queue was weak but moved fast so it wasn't an issue. Only downside was that tunnel in the second half of the ride which should have probably been a bit more exciting rather than a concrete mess.

Is the roughness in a coaster caused by a deteriation of the track, the wheels, or both, and can it be solved by refurb?

A bit of both. New wheels will definitely help, especially if they install B&M's new state-of-the-art ones.

Reactions: UAN17
A bit of both. New wheels will definitely help, especially if they install B&M's new state-of-the-art ones.

Any word on if Kraken is getting new trains or are they attaching the headsets to the current trains.

And secondly JTA is mentioned as playing a role in the VR....rumours were that this ride was getting an overhaul too....delayed for the future or scrapped?

Morrow said the loading platform will be redesigned, along with the addition of more team members. The idea is since the the headset is already connected, that will cutdown on dispatch time.

That takes care of ONE aspect, but why are they saying more vehicles?

because right now only one train fits on the platform, my guess is when done two will fit, which means adding a train to the track.

What's really needed is a dual loading station. I don't think two trains in the station one after the other will really cut it here.

That takes care of ONE aspect, but why are they saying more vehicles?
Because they only use two of the three Kraken trains.
What's really needed is a dual loading station. I don't think two trains in the station one after the other will really cut it here.
I would love for them to make the station duel load, but I don't know if there is room (let alone the budget) to make this happen. In the interview, the vibe I got was that the station refurbishment would simply change the placement of fences and the such.

Kraken was pretty smooth at the front when I was on it in June, the back was a different story though. Depends on the train I guess.

Because they only use two of the three Kraken trains.

I would love for them to make the station duel load, but I don't know if there is room (let alone the budget) to make this happen. In the interview, the vibe I got was that the station refurbishment would simply change the placement of fences and the such.

I think there is certainly enough room and I think the queue is getting revamped to include the new story plus a new loading system for the floorless trains so adding a duel loading station could be a possibility.

For me it'll be interesting to see how this is ultimately pulled off, as I feel this is just not needed for Kraken. I'm in the boat where VR really doesn't work for major coasters, the best applications for it have been the smaller coasters/powered mine trains. (Which have seperate queue lines/is a upcharge to handle capactity/thoughtput.)

For this to have a "best" case scenario, it needs two things.
1. Seperate queue lines. Since anyone who doesn't want to experience the VR definitely doesn't want to wait in a longer line for something they're not going to experience.

2. A dual loading station. That way they can dispatch plenty of non-VR trains while they take their sweet time loading a VR one. There's really no way dispatches are going to be quick on the VR side, especially when they have to
- Clean the headsets
- Check restraint/seatbelt
- Make sure the VR headsets are securely fastened to riders heads.
- Make sure the VR is synched up & working. (An' pray to whoever that there's no errors during this part.)
- Clip the headset to the restraint.

This is pretty similar to the setup for Galactica at Alton Towers, and every report from that agrees it's a clusterfudge even with a big staff running it.

I wish SW all the best, but considering how wonky most VR coasters have been with major coasters I'm not sure why they thought it would be worth the trouble doing this.

I say with a full staff and no hiccups they can probably dispatch a train every 60-80 seconds. Alton Towers dispatches Galactica VR about every 100 seconds, so I made the above estimate based of their current Alton Tower's best practices and the improvements SeaWorld claims to be making.

On second thought I may be generous. A more accurate estimate would be SW at 90-120 seconds because Alton Towers is actually more like 120 seconds on further review.

I think there will be 2 seperate lines. I imagine when there is a line in both that half the train will be non-VR. when there is no line on one side then the entire train will be whatever side the line is on. I also think they will try to figure out a way to unload/clean and load another train at the same time. But I guess we will have to see.

I absolutely hate this idea. While I understand it's the "new thing" for parks to do, it really slows down the wait time. I also understand that with a bit of attendance drop and with the addition of Mako, the line hasn't been as long as in the past. Well that's on your average day. I can tell you the line was quite long when I was in the park this past Saturday, as in like NYE lines. So I understand it fluctuates depending on season/day of the week. With that said, I know many will like the new technology added. However I won't be using it. The whole thrill of riding Kraken to me is partly the real view (as with any coaster).

From my understanding, there will be pouches that will be attached to the trains in which the headsets go in. Upon loading, riders will take their headset from the pouch and put it on while ride attendants check that they are secure while checking restraints. When the train returns to the station they will not unlock the restraints like normal, but have ride attendants go to each row and clean the headsets and place in the pouch before unlocking to disembark. This would allow the headsets to be clean for the next rider and the headsets that weren't used (empty seat or rider didn't use) would already be ready. This may be right or they may go another way between now and then after testing it out.

Realistically unless they were to extend the station to add a separate unloading area, there will never be the need for 3 train operation with the VR headsets. Otherwise I don't see how adding the 3rd train would increase capacity when needed. You'll just have 2 trains stacked constantly on the brakes while waiting for the other train to dispatch.

It's not just the loading times that would concern me, it's the tech itself. Galactica is having constant problems with the VR. They're always closing it down due to VR issues. I went shortly after it opened and they were having problems. I was back last month and it was worse.

Despatched trains with empty rows due to VR. Trains ready to go only for guests to be removed and put back in the queue due to VR. Five times I queued over a two day period and three times they closed it after me queuing for an hour or more. It was so frustrating as I was close to the front of the queue each time and could see them fiddling with the VR gear and associated control box that is mounted on each row.

The pictures I have seen of the headsets for Kraken look identical to the ones used at Alton Towers. They have sound too and even the clips and attachments that secure them to the seats look identical. I'm not saying they are the same manufacturer, they just look identical.

The headsets in the pics aren't the final product. They are still working all that out. Hopefully they will have it all worked out with everything by the time I visit after it's implemented so I don't have to wait in a crazy line. I'd hate to have to get Quick Queue just for Kraken (which I've NEVER had to do at any park).

Reactions: IAIN TRAYNOR
Two things that will be different, I don't think they will close Kraken for VR issues, I think it will just be a sign out front saying VR is not working. The second is that I believe one of the reasons they are re-working the line is so that there will be a VR line and a non-VR line. So those that don't want VR won't have to wait in as long as a line as VR people.

Reactions: IAIN TRAYNOR
Two things that will be different, I don't think they will close Kraken for VR issues, I think it will just be a sign out front saying VR is not working.

I can see this being the case to an extent. Since the technology will be integrated (aka attached) to each seat they will likely need to take a train off and switch out as they sort out issues with VR, This would be better than shutting the whole ride down, but would still affect capacity...likely still better than VR working...lol All joking aside I hope they can get this done right as I've heard nightmares about every where else who is/has tried.

... The second is that I believe one of the reasons they are re-working the line is so that there will be a VR line and a non-VR line. So those that don't want VR won't have to wait in as long as a line as VR people.

What they are re-working is the width of the station to allow additional ride attendants/Ambassadors on the platform to help with loading/unloading & cleaning the headsets each cycle. They will likely widen the platform on the station entrance side by moving the air gates/rows back to allow less passengers in the station with a grouper assigning rows. Each seat on each train will have the VR headsets attached to them so there wouldn't be a need for a separate line. You either use it or not when you get in your seat.

Also From Screamscape:
SeaWorld Florida
2017 - Kraken VR and Other New Additions -
(10/1/16) SeaWorld Orlando responded back with some extra information about their new Kraken VR system coming in 2017. When we questioned how they would be handling the issue of cleaning the equipment between riders if it was mounted to the train itself:
“Having the VR headgear integrated into the seat both mechanically and electronically not only provides a more reliable synchronization to the ride experience, but offers our Ambassadors easy access to sanitize the headsets after each and every ride cycle. The Kraken station is also being modified allowing for more ambassador positions to assist guests as they load the train and prepare for the VR experience on Kraken.”
Screamscape also asked about what would happen if a guest did not wish to partake in the VR experience, either because they found it cumbersome, clausterbobic, or just simply wanted to opt for the pure traditional roller coaster experience:
“Guests that do not wish to use the VR Experience can still enjoy Kraken as they always have by simply leaving the VR headset in a secure pouch attached to the coaster seat.”
So there you have it… now we just have to wait and see how this turns out.

Last edited:
I can see this being the case to an extent. Since the technology will be integrated (aka attached) to each seat they will likely need to take a train off and switch out as they sort out issues with VR, This would be better than shutting the whole ride down, but would still affect capacity...likely still better than VR working...lol All joking aside I hope they can get this done right as I've heard nightmares about every where else who is/has tried.

What they are re-working is the width of the station to allow additional ride attendants/Ambassadors on the platform to help with loading/unloading & cleaning the headsets each cycle. They will likely widen the platform on the station entrance side by moving the air gates/rows back to allow less passengers in the station with a grouper assigning rows. Each seat on each train will have the VR headsets attached to them so there wouldn't be a need for a separate line. You either use it or not when you get in your seat.

Also From Screamscape:
SeaWorld Florida
They also said that the queue would be redesigned/updated.