Let's play being head of Universal Creative... | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Let's play being head of Universal Creative...

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
How definite is Zelda? It feels odd to me to have two fantasy franchises right next to each other, if Zelda goes to LC.

I'm dreamcasting here, but I always thought Animal Crossing would be a much stronger IP than Zelda. I don't think AC was really on the table when Universal and Nintendo first started talking as it was fairly irrelevant. But AC exploded in popularity since then, with the release of New Horizons during the pandemic - it was a bit of a cultural moment that Nintendo hasn't had since the Wii or Pokemon Go. The National Video Game Museum in the UK just opened an exhibit on the impact AC had during the pandemic and there's even been academic studies on the subject.

AC New Horizons is the second best selling Switch title (the latest Zelda release sold less than half of what New Horizons did), and the 5th best selling Nintendo game of all time. Speaking anecdotally, far more people I know have played an AC game within the past 5+ years than a Zelda game - largely because AC is much friendlier to non-gamers. And there continues to be a steady stream of AC content posted to YouTube daily garnering hundreds of thousands of views. Zelda doesn't have that same kind of cultural relevance right now.

I also feel like AC would be a merch machine - imagine all the villager plushies and Tom Nook branded merchandise. The cute factor of the game is comparable to Pokemon (without needing to split profits with the Pokemon Company) and would appeal to a lot of people of all ages who've never played. Not to mention the central mechanic of the franchise is buying and collecting items.

I feel like a casual boat dark-ride through an AC island, getting to shop at all the different shops in AC (Nook's Cranny, Able Sisters, Jolly Redd's, the Roost, etc), meet and greets and photo ops with all the characters, and a KK Slider live show accompanied by a gyroid orchestra - DJ KK at nights! would be a really solid land and offer something a little bit different to what we already have. Imagine the music changing throughout the day like it does in the actual game, the seasonal holiday celebrations and limited time merch.

It just feels like a property that is ripe for a theme park land and I'm surprised I don't see it talked about more as an option - whether it replaces Lost Continent, Toon Lagoon or MIB.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I mean, isn’t Islands of Adventure basically all fantasy franchises?
In the broadest sense, maybe yes?

But I wouldn't really consider JP, Marvel, Kong, Toon Lagoon and Seuss fantasy in the castle and magic sense.

To have Hyrule Castle a stone's throw away from Hogwarts Castle would clash for me, unless they went with a more cartoony Windwaker aesthetic.

I don't foresee it happening sadly, but an Animal Crossing land/ride is one of my biggest wishlist items for any theme park.

Reactions: Nico
I mean, isn’t Islands of Adventure basically all fantasy franchises?
Jurassic Park is technically categorized as pure sci-fi. Marvel, if we’re being pedantic about the superhero genre is fantasy. Toon isn’t categorical that way at all since it’s a medium and not “stories.” Dudley and Popeye would typically be classified as period comedies. Most of the comics represented in Toon are fairly grounded.

"The Cat in the Hat is a terrible ride."

"I love the CAT IN THE HAT movie."

These two opinions remove all credibility!

Also, MIB closing by the end of the decade would be a travesty. VillainCon is not a substitute. If anything, VillainCon makes MIB more essential.
I think calling it “Universal Studios Orlando” is the automatic DQ. :lol:

"The Cat in the Hat is a terrible ride."

"I love the CAT IN THE HAT movie."

These two opinions remove all credibility!

Also, MIB closing by the end of the decade would be a travesty. VillainCon is not a substitute. If anything, VillainCon makes MIB more essential.
I won't tolerate Cat in the Hat movie slander

If anyone ever complains we want more dark rides for families but don’t enjoy the CITH, idk what you’re looking for!
To be fair, you can complain about the lack of family dark rides and the quality of one that currently exists. Two very different arguments to be made there.

Now, if they had said something along the lines of "there are no family dark rides at IOA" and followed it up with a plan to replace CITH with a coaster... that's crazy talk lol

Reactions: IzzyB and GA-MBIT
To be fair, you can complain about the lack of family dark rides and the quality of one that currently exists. Two very different arguments to be made there.

Now, if they had said something along the lines of "there are no family dark rides at IOA" and followed it up with a plan to replace CITH with a coaster... that's crazy talk lol
That’s fair, I get your point. If you enjoy a fantasyland DL style dark ride, I guess then I’m unsure of the complaints against CITH.

Reactions: TylerG and belloq87
That’s fair, I get your point. If you enjoy a fantasyland DL style dark ride, I guess then I’m unsure of the complaints against CITH.
His complaint essentially boils down to "It's in really awful condition and I don't believe they'll ever spruce it up, so get rid of it."

I think he's overstating that a bit.

CiTH is absolutely raggedy. The animatronics looky strange and melty, the sets haven't seen the best upkeep, the CGI Cat screen was laughably dated over a decade ago, the lack of spinning gives certain scenes too much dead air; I'd argue it's nowhere near the level of a Winnie the Pooh, E.T., or some others. I totally get why some don't enjoy it.

I personally like it for a number of other reasons, and I think the bones are definitely solid, it just needs a lot of TLC to bring it up to an acceptable state imo.

It could benefit from an update like Disneyland's Fantasyland dark rides. Enhanced visuals, clean up, projections, etc. Not a top to bottom overhaul, just an overall plussing. I don't think the ride needs the spinning to be great (nor should it for a kids-oriented attraction).
I agree, it shouldn't need to. I do believe that they should add some extra interest during certain scenes that were left purposefully bare when it first opened, cause the spinning would make up for black walls they leave open. I think CiTH has the ability to be really wonderful, but I don't think it's all that close right now. It currently does its' job and that's about it, I think it can be a lot more than that.

I agree, it shouldn't need to. I do believe that they should add some extra interest during certain scenes that were left purposefully bare when it first opened, cause the spinning would make up for black walls they leave open. I think CiTH has the ability to be really wonderful, but I don't think it's all that close right now. It currently does its' job and that's about it, I think it can be a lot more than that.
I would love for some spinning to come back in certain scenes that really should have them along with some areas needing more now with no spinning. In its current state this ride really isn't at the level of dark rides at Disney or ET.