Lower Lot Redesign | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

Lower Lot Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
100th post - yay me :grin:

Once they hit the 10M mark, that's going to be the real question, on what they do going forward for the property.

:agree:
USH is already overcrowded, if it goes over 10 million without substantial expansion of areas to fit crowds I can see this preventing it from overtaking Florida in total attendance.

While SNW will bring extra floorspace, I'm not convinced it is anywhere near enough.

I will be bold and say by 2022 Disneyland(Walt’s true home) will be the most popular park, in attendance, in the world and Universal Studios Hollywood(the true studios park) will be the most popular park Universal has in the states and be gaining ground on Japan, in spite of its space limitations.

Park 3 Disney and park 2 Universal will be almost become necessities.

A change to theme park supremacy is coming and SoCal wants it’s crown back

Wishful thinking, maybe, as I do prefer California for vacations. No offense to Orlando lots of love but yeah it’s Caliifornia.

I like the cut of your jib, Moose.

You may be on to something. I'm of the same mind that DLR Gate #3 gets announced in 10-15 years. Unfortunately the political climate in Anaheim is not in Disney's favor, though it has improved with the recent election. I firmly believe they are trying to find the right piece of land for their 3rd gate. Angels Stadium may be up for grabs and there is speculation that Disney might be interested in purchasing it. There is easily enough land there for another park.

As for CA park dominance, watch out for Six Flags Magic Mountain. They will soon take back the crown from Cedar Point and surpass them in attendance within the next 5 years. That park has had a dramatic turnaround since the days when it was gang-infested and Six Flags was essentially putting the park on the market to sell.

Knott's Berry Farm is now a TOP 10 park in North America! This means that all the parks in the top 10 are in either California or Florida. For those keeping score, that's:

Florida=6 parks
California=4 parks

Obviously, the pendulum can swing again since Seaworld is doing better this year attendance-wise so SWO might surpass Knott's in 2018.

After GATE 3 (Not Gate 4) opens at UOR, I really don't see another park opening in Florida, especially at WDW. I see 2 more parks opening at some in CA, Disney and Universal. The difference is that Disneyversal has essentially cannabalized competition in Orlando, whereas it hasn't in the Golden State.

We shall see what happens!

100th post - yay me :grin:

:agree:
USH is already overcrowded, if it goes over 10 million without substantial expansion of areas to fit crowds I can see this preventing it from overtaking Florida in total attendance.

While SNW will bring extra floorspace, I'm not convinced it is anywhere near enough.

Honestly, they should be moving right now to do a expansion of Jurassic Parking structure and a hotel (to the vein of The Park from USJ), because they need the hotel seats and the parking space to accommodate the western debut of Super Nintendo World. But, I digress, and imagine that they'll want to wait for seeing how Nintendo performs before going forward with a hotel.

Considering the odds, I doubt Universal will sit on their laurels after Super Nintendo World's Domestic debut. And honestly, the Lower Lot has a lot of space that can be used quite nicely for expansion.

2) They screwed over the AP base. I even heard talk of them wanting to remove APs altogether! They purposely weeded out their AP base by removing parking privileges out of fear of overcrowding. When FJ was a walk on later on grand opening day, guess who they crawled back to?

Damn, I had totally forgotten about all the AP fiascos. But I do think you're right, in that it was tied to what they expected to happen for WWOHP. On reflection, their business and crowd control intentions were in the right place, but the execution and what ended up happening didn't help them.

Watch though, the turn out for SW:GE will be much greater at Disneyland than at Hollywood Studios. Only because it beats the opening by 6months. But the turnout will still be great in Hollywood studios since it will only be 6 months and not 6years.

Yes, and not only will it be because Disney will be beating out Hollywood Studios, but also because of Disney's insane AP fanbase, which Hollywood Studios lacks. Really, Disney is already unpleasant (crowd control-wise) now; I can't even imagine how terrible it'll be with GE. Which is a pity, because I do believe that GE will be an amazing addition to the park... but I figure the crowds will be so insane, that I'm probably not really going to enjoy it simply because it won't be worth fighting the hoards of insane Disney fans that have to be "first". Part of me is honestly surprised there aren't already people camping out to be in line for it. Like, I'm not kidding about that. If Disney allowed them to camp now, you know people would already be doing so.

Honestly, they should be moving right now to do a expansion of Jurassic Parking structure and a hotel (to the vein of The Park from USJ), because they need the hotel seats and the parking space to accommodate the western debut of Super Nintendo World.

Well, they already have the ET parking structure, which, except in a few rare instances so far, isn't being used to it's full capacity. I think at least parking-wise, they're pretty set for a while. A hotel would be nice. And expansion would be nice, but the question is, how do they do that? This park has a lot more constraints to its available land; they have to work around functional studios, existing attractions, the hilly geography, and the nearby residents. That's quite a juggling act. It's one thing to state that problem--it's another to propose a solution.

Knott's Berry Farm is now a TOP 10 park in North America! This means that all the parks in the top 10 are in either California or Florida.

I have noticed Knott's is getting busier. Which is a mixed blessing. I am actually pretty happy for Knott's... for a very long time, it's been largely regarded as Disney's step-child. It's really great to finally see it come into it's own.

At the same time, much like Disneyland, the days of low crowds and being able to just walk on to most rides (a reputation it enjoyed for most of my life) are quickly fading away. Such is the price of success, but it does find a way for us to keep coming back with it's events (mostly the Boysenberry and Peanuts Festival) which are so much more full of heart and energy than the seemingly corporate and cold-feeling money grabs at the DCA food festivals.

Well, they already have the ET parking structure, which, except in a few rare instances so far, isn't being used to it's full capacity. I think at least parking-wise, they're pretty set for a while. A hotel would be nice. And expansion would be nice, but the question is, how do they do that? This park has a lot more constraints to its available land; they have to work around functional studios, existing attractions, the hilly geography, and the nearby residents. That's quite a juggling act. It's one thing to state that problem--it's another to propose a solution.

Honestly, I think the solution would be more along the lines..of something like this.

OOET2qJ.jpg

Move the Preferred Parking and Bus/Shuttle parking into an indoor, multi-level parking lot. And you may be able to not only add more capacity into the park for the parking, but it would give potential for allowing them to have safe areas to direct people too and from the park. Plus, they could have it act as a more, welcome center.

As far as the Hotel, I would think they could do something similar to what Disney had in mind with that luxury hotel that got canned (but you know..cheaper to spend at).

This is..more Blue-Sky, but I do think the best option for those two massive plots, would to double-tag.

That said, I do think I am treading extremely far from Lower Lot, now am I..

A hotel would be nice. And expansion would be nice, but the question is, how do they do that? This park has a lot more constraints to its available land; they have to work around functional studios, existing attractions, the hilly geography, and the nearby residents. That's quite a juggling act. It's one thing to state that problem--it's another to propose a solution.

I agree that they have more to work around than your standard theme park, but they already have plans, or they wouldn't be building multiple new soundstages elsewhere so they can demolish more surrounding the lower lot.

Its just a case of them giving the go ahead to those plans, at the moment it feels like they are just tweaking things until SNW opens and they see how it performs, then as others have said, they may push the button on more substantial plans.

I think the biggest issue at USH right now, more than parking, is distribution of crowds. Both in CityWalk at the park. I was at the park last night and certain areas were quiet, while others were in total gridlock. With WaterWorld not as active during the colder months, they need something on the lower lot to pull crowds. I don't think JW will be a huge impact. Hoping to see Grinchmas relocates downstairs.

Reactions: Freak
I have a feeling that, as soon as the Christmas season is over, we're gonna see a lot of movement in the lower lot. Jurassic Café, Falls, and Outfitters need to be remodeled for Jurassic World. I'd be willing to bet that the entire area stretching from the raptor encounter over to the alley with the bathrooms is gonna be behind barricades within two weeks of the peak season ending.

I have a feeling that, as soon as the Christmas season is over, we're gonna see a lot of movement in the lower lot. Jurassic Café, Falls, and Outfitters need to be remodeled for Jurassic World. I'd be willing to bet that the entire area stretching from the raptor encounter over to the alley with the bathrooms is gonna be behind barricades within two weeks of the peak season ending.

I've gathered reports that the Transformers queue that closed, will be completely wiped.

I would assume, after the Holidays, that Panda Express will close completely and that Jurassic Cafe for the time being may have to undergo the changes while in-operation.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
The land TF's Extended Queue is on, will be used. And if one would guess, Panda Express/Studio Store Lower Lot/Studio Deli would be apart of the land, meaning that Nintendo would be nearly (or exactly to) 4 acres.

So with 4 acres, it stands to reason we will only get MK, not Yoshi or DK, unless there is a plan for expansion by tearing down other soundstages nearby.

So with 4 acres, it stands to reason we will only get MK, not Yoshi or DK, unless there is a plan for expansion by tearing down other soundstages nearby.

Remember, 2 story land. If they don't develop the entirety of the Japanese plot (which seems to be the case), there's no reason Hollywood can't also get 2 (or more) attractions in a similarly sized space.

Last edited:
I dont see why everyone is constantly worried about being landlocked. If Universal wants to expand, they will make it happen, and believe me, they're going to have to.

USH will be no different.
This sounds eerily familiar the discussion everyone was having back when Hogsmeade coming to Hollywood was a serious rumor...."There's not enough space" everyone said. You know what Universal did?

"ThErE's NoT eNoUgH sPaCe!" *Demos Curious George and Gibson Amphitheater.*

Moral of the story: There's no such thing in the theme park world as "not enough space". If they want it bad enough, they will find a place to put it.

I think it will be a massive success. Why? It appeals to multiple generations and the properties are evergreen.

The real question that nobody seems to know is if SNW will only have MK or include DK as well.

@Al2020 Hate to keep asking you stuff, but do you know if SNW will include DK?

Yes DK will be part of SNW! I know that our Hollywood Version will include MK & DK! Japan , Hollywood and Orlando will all have MK.

Yes DK will be part of SNW! I know that our Hollywood Version will include MK & DK! Japan , Hollywood and Orlando will all have MK.

:freak:

You just made my day!

I was getting worried when I saw how small the plot of land was. I was thinking, there's no way they could fit DK in that space. Thank you sir!