Lower Lot Redesign | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Lower Lot Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am not too sure about definite just yet.  However, I do see it solving some logistical problems with the Starway.  I hope we do get it, but I have not seen any answers to confirm that we are.

My issues are the fire road which goes under the 1st bank of the Starway.  How does a monorail system go over that, or under it, without too much incline or decline?  I can imagine if Universal is willing to spill the cash, then it will happen.  However, I am also open to the idea that we get a different DA than Orlando, but that is not consistent with previous attractions lately.

..I've been thinking of the ways, and more importantly..how the hell the Lower Lot would be feasible for Expansion of both Diagon and Nintendo..and i'm probably going to be wrong in a bit of this..

mYOyRuB.jpg

So, this is going to be complicated..

First off, numerous soundstages would move over to the Universal Backlot (god forbid I create a diagram of THAT) for the new expansions, as Diagon Alley and Nintendo come along the way for the "Lower Lot Transformation" that'd take place from 2017 to 2020. This would be more..the list of things..

Late 2016: Announcement of Lower Lot Transformation, with Diagon and TSLoP revealed, with announcement of movings of soundstages more into the NBCUniversal Backlot

2017: The Secret Life of Pets Opens, with Transformers moving its extended line to be behind the newly erected building; Old line goes Vacant and not touched, possibly used as a house location for HHN. Mummy closes with multiple soundstages shutting down early on in 2017

2018: Closure of the Soundstages to the left of 28, with Transformers going also in the process to make way for Nintendo; new attraction to come on the Upper Lot, preferably within the Studio Tour, announcement of Nintendo

2019: Diagon Alley opens to the public with a superior version to London, including taller facades for both London and Diagon Alley to block it from the StarWay. Hogwarts Express also taller in height in the loading bay, with a two floor line (Possibly using TFreviewers idea of some sort of version of the London Tube)

2020: Lower Lot Transformation finishes with the grand opening of a brand new Nintendo-based Area using Mario, Zelda, and DK as the hook of the marketing; with Mario being the epicenter of it all, with a brand new E-Ticket Dark ride similar to Orlandos rumored MarioKart attraction with polished effects and new support with using Amibos as means of unlocking special features of the cart

..So..i have thought of this since TFReviewers Diagon post, and to be fair; I am probably going to be WRONG about a lot of the size, but I think given a lot of time, effort and atleast thinking, I could come up with something..

~Dark Blue (Next to StarWay) - New Retail Or Dining establishment

~Teal - Transformers Gift Shop

~Light blue - Nintendo

~Purple - New Transformers Façade/Exit

~Yellow - Transformers Extended line

~Orange - TSLoP

~Green - Covering trees at Gringotts Extended Line

~Light Grey - New Studio working area

~Grey - Mew pavement

~Dark Grey - New Road for London Area

Headlining for the Expansion

~TSLOP

~Nintendo

~Diagon Alley

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not too sure about definite just yet.  However, I do see it solving some logistical problems with the Starway.  I hope we do get it, but I have not seen any answers to confirm that we are.

My issues are the fire road which goes under the 1st bank of the Starway.  How does a monorail system go over that, or under it, without too much incline or decline?  I can imagine if Universal is willing to spill the cash, then it will happen.  However, I am also open to the idea that we get a different DA than Orlando, but that is not consistent with previous attractions lately.
Is it possible for Universal to utilize a similar system that the Getty Museum uses? Their Monorail system seems to do a decent job at getting up that hill and if I remember correctly it follows along the fire lane/exit pathway up and down the hill. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wv7_Ouk5NwI?feature=oembed
Obviously this DA is not to scale but I really hope they consider placing a small plaza in the Lower-Lot. It would relieve so much congestion down there!

Is it possible for Universal to utilize a similar system that the Getty Museum uses? Their Monorail system seems to do a decent job at getting up that hill and if I remember correctly it follows along the fire lane/exit pathway up and down the hill. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wv7_Ouk5NwI?feature=oembed
I've been on the bandwagon aswell for the small plaza, as the Lower Lot desperately needs it, especially as its main drag (for now) ain't exactly something that'd help get people around the area.

Reactions: Imdbman
I have a stronger feeling that Nintendo is not ready for Universal Hollywood just yet and may not be ready until 2020 or 2021...which leads me to believe that Waterworld could be a perfect place for Nintendo.

That would give Waterworld a 25 year run and enough time to earn its keep.  

Here is my prediction for the Lower Lot from last year.  It shows that Diagon Alley would fit if they reversed the layout.  This is rather accurate on scale and did not include King Cross or the HE.

With whatever comes to the Lower Lot, I think it'd be really nice to get a body of water. I feel that it's necessary in every theme park for kinetic energy and overall aesthetic. It makes it look more authentic. Could even be used for nighttime entertainment ala world of color.

We have our body of water.... two actually... "JAWS" & "Parting of the Red Sea" (featuring the Kong set)... A third when Falls Lake is filled. And Waterworld for a fourth  :p

While a lagoon is nice and all, USH can't afford to offer up space for one. It would honestly be wasting valuable space that needs to be used for places to physically put people.. Which is why the thought of more retail locations in the park is such a turn off because they hold so little people at a time, unlike a new ride/attraction (or even a theatre show).

Reactions: Stylowtrix
With whatever comes to the Lower Lot, I think it'd be really nice to get a body of water. I feel that it's necessary in every theme park for kinetic energy and overall aesthetic. It makes it look more authentic. Could even be used for nighttime entertainment ala world of color.
I agree 100%. Here are some photoshops I made last year with that in mind.

If they were to put Diagon in the lower lot, there would be room for a small lagoon, about half the size of Jaws lake.

etyygy.jpg

Of course if they were to open Diagon in the upper lot (my preference) you'd have ample room for large lagoon and night time show, roughly the size of Paradise Bay, if not a tad smaller. 

2d9zivk.jpg

Just throwing out an alternative idea here:

If Diagon Alley were to take the place of the current Studio Tour loading area, could the Studio Tour loading be relocated again to the Lower Lot in place of RotM?

Studio Tour Garage would probably be moved as well.

I feel like they need an alternative way to get down to the Lower Lot. Maybe some sort of long pathway, that isn't a giant escalator. Do other people think that, or is it just me?

I feel like they need an alternative way to get down to the Lower Lot. Maybe some sort of long pathway, that isn't a giant escalator. Do other people think that, or is it just me?

I think the Starway needs a split on the 2nd platform which offers a connection to SSFL. This would greatly help the congestion in Springfield. 

I remember - gotta be going back over ten years-they had the tram loading area on the lower lot. It was basically where the splash-down for Jurassic Park not sits.

When the Starway was built in 1991, the Tour was relocated to the Lower Lot. When JPRA was built, the tour was removed by late 1994. It only lasted for 3-4 years in the Lower Lot.  If you are on the 3rd platform of the Starway overlooking the Mummy queue, you can still see the blue lines with white circles to stand on for the loading area of the tram from way back then. 

Just throwing out an alternative idea here:

If Diagon Alley were to take the place of the current Studio Tour loading area, could the Studio Tour loading be relocated again to the Lower Lot in place of RotM?

Studio Tour Garage would probably be moved as well.

I'd rather see it replace Soundstage 12, there is more than enough room there and they could use ROTM for Nintendo/future growth. Soundstages aren't exactly difficult to relocate. Not to mention 12 is aging badly AND I think having the loading area in the heart of the front-lot would really make it that much more immersive and magical.

I think the Starway needs a split on the 2nd platform which offers a connection to SSFL. This would greatly help the congestion in Springfield. 

When the Starway was built in 1991, the Tour was relocated to the Lower Lot. When JPRA was built, the tour was removed by late 1994. It only lasted for 3-4 years in the Lower Lot.  If you are on the 3rd platform of the Starway overlooking the Mummy queue, you can still see the blue lines with white circles to stand on for the loading area of the tram from way back then. 

Very cool. Will check that out time.
I still like checking out the remains of Prop Plaza from the tram while everyone else is snapping shots of the Picture Cars and dancing to Luda.....

Reactions: Chris
In the Lower Lot there are 7 venues where you can purchase food, 3 shops and 3 attractions. That means there are more than twice as many food venues than there are shops and attractions combined. Just figured I'd mention it. 

Really looking forward to the new lower lot. The one currently is really congested with Transfromers just in the middle. They should remove Mummy and the Panda area soon.

Hey guys I tried uuploading an image i couldn't find how. Anyways im new to the forums, i have a question: is the land that sits left from the mummy and right from the 4th starway escalator (coming down from the upper lot) not suitable for a ride? They can make it the same way jurassic park is, as that ride also goes along a hill.

^ by the way ignore the link

Hey guys I tried uuploading an image i couldn't find how. Anyways im new to the forums, i have a question: is the land that sits left from the mummy and right from the 4th starway escalator (coming down from the upper lot) not suitable for a ride? They can make it the same way jurassic park is, as that ride also goes along a hill.

^ by the way ignore the link

Welcome to the forums! Here's how you can upload images:

The current assumption is that Revenge of the Mummy will be sentenced to eternal death to make way for Diagon Alley, but the only problem with that is that Florida's layout for Diagon doesn't exactly fit alongside the mountain. You can make it work, but you have to essentially pivot the entire land clockwise along the entrance of Gringotts.

Lower Lot 1 by David Daut, on Flickr

The upside of this layout, at least from the studio's perspective, is this minimizes the number of sound stages that would need to be demolished and (assuming Transformers gets a new facade and the Studio Commissary is bulldozed) eliminates the backlot aesthetic that is no longer en vogue. The downside is that it boxes in the Lower lot, leaving less room for future expansion. There's also no room for King's Cross in this layout. You could fit the station itself in the dark grey area to the right of Diagon, but good luck finding a way to get people back there.

However, there is another way to make Diagon fit on the Lower Lot, and even in a way that maintains the original Florida layout:

Lower Lot 2 by David Daut, on Flickr

In this version, you lose an extra four sound stages, but you have room for a larger London courtyard, and King's Cross Station, albeit a version that's scaled down from its Florida counterpart. This also preserves Revenge of the Mummy which provides extra ride capacity in the short-term and additional expansion space for the future (you tear that sucker down and you could easily fit another SLoP-sized ride, some shops and restaurants and still have room to spare).

As for Nintendo, I have to assume it's going to be at least as big as Diagon, which means you're losing nearly all of the sound stages on the front lot. I have no idea where the studio is going to relocate that much essential production space.