Lower Lot Redesign | Page 43 | Inside Universal Forums

Lower Lot Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I know this hasn't been brought up in a while.

@Al2020 Are the plans still that we will be getting a unique version of Diagon Alley or has that been scrapped?

Yeah we will be getting it and the plans haven’t been scrapped at all but more has been added to it. Once the studio tour is relocated to the lower lot that’s when will see the Harry Potter expansion come to live which isn’t to far from now.

Reactions: SOCAL110
Would the lukewarm reaction to our WWOHP have played a role in them deciding against DA after all?
I have asked this before and I’ll ask again what the hell were the expectations for WWOHP at Hollywood? The attendance of the park was was just over 7 million in 2015(pre Potter) and over 9 million in 2017. The land opened in April 2016. So in a little over a year in a half the park saw attendance grow by 2 million people which is a 28 percent growth.

USH has had multiple days of hitting capacity by midday over the last year.

Also, for reference, from 2010 to 2015 USH grew only by 2 million visitors with the additions of Minions, Springfield, Transformers, etc. 6 years mind you.

Add in that Hogsmeade, Fight of the Hippogriff, and Forbidden Journey are considered superior versions to their Orlando counterpart.

So I ask again what in the hell were the expectations? Or are we actually just making this up?

Yeah we will be getting it and the plans haven’t been scrapped at all but more has been added to it. Once the studio tour is relocated to the lower lot that’s when will see the Harry Potter expansion come to live which isn’t to far from now.

Thanks man! Just what I wanted to hear. I know many on these boards don't want to see it coming here for some reason, but I really want it. Especially if it will be a plussed version.

My educated guess was that the reason they were waiting so long to bring DA is that Universal was considering creating a 2nd gate and wanted to open it there instead of USH proper. It seems the suits have moved away from the possibility of a 2nd gate and have decided to maximize they space they already have.

Those are really good points. I sometimes wonder myself. If you ask me, WWOHP still looks very busy and very popular even now, two + years later, and I will still often see over 100+ minute waits for FJ during peak days.

IMO, it seems relatively low because, compared to Florida, the opening days didn't have overflow crowds of people where timed entry into the land was required--which I think nearly everyone was expecting (like I'm expecting for GE at Disneyland). When you expect masses of humanity, traffic jams, people camping out, timed entry, etc, and none of that ends up happening, many people jumped to the conclusion the land underperformed.

But as far as I can tell (and I have no actual data, just based on my own observations of visiting the park about every 2-3 weeks since WWOHP has opened), the land is drawing people in, and consistently, too. So I think what everyone though would be an explosion has turned out to be a slow, but very consistent, burn.

Those are really good points. I sometimes wonder myself. If you ask me, WWOHP still looks very busy and very popular even now, two + years later, and I will still often see over 100+ minute waits for FJ during peak days.

IMO, it seems relatively low because, compared to Florida, the opening days didn't have overflow crowds of people where timed entry into the land was required--which I think nearly everyone was expecting (like I'm expecting for GE at Disneyland). When you expect masses of humanity, traffic jams, people camping out, timed entry, etc, and none of that ends up happening, many people jumped to the conclusion the land underperformed.
From I hear down the grapevine, I know for sure that Potter is performing at a level the execs are happy with. When it opened, it wasn't what they expected, but it eventually put them in a place that they deem successful. There are two reasons why Potter "underperformed":

1) They waited too long. It had been six years since Hogsmeade opened in Orlando. By then all of the hype to see "Harry Potter World" had people pent up enough to fly out to Florida to see it or watch it on YouTube.

2) They screwed over the AP base. I even heard talk of them wanting to remove APs altogether! They purposely weeded out their AP base by removing parking privileges out of fear of overcrowding. When FJ was a walk on later on grand opening day, guess who they crawled back to?

If number two was not an issue, I could easily see it being a bit more successful.
But as far as I can tell (and I have no actual data, just based on my own observations of visiting the park about every 2-3 weeks since WWOHP has opened), the land is drawing people in, and consistently, too. So I think what everyone though would be an explosion has turned out to be a slow, but very consistent, burn.
I agree. For several people I know, WWoHP is putting USH on the map for them. I believe whatever new Potter expansion they add will be successful. I think they have learned their lesson from the AP disaster of 2016.

At this point, if they bring DA over here exactly the way it is, that would be pointless as that land will be a decade old by the time it opens. It will be way old news by then with GE, SNW, and Marvel open. They need to add to it to make it appealing to people. I want to see it come, but I would rather not have it the way it is. We have too many 3D rides as is now.

That makes since but I think what a lot of people forget are that the masses who were dying for the land had 6 years of Orlando’s to visit before this land. 6 years and yet the impact is still phenomenal, I think this speaks highly to the drawing power of the boy wizard.

Watch though, the turn out for SW:GE will be much greater at Disneyland than at Hollywood Studios. Only because it beats the opening by 6months. But the turnout will still be great in Hollywood studios since it will only be 6 months and not 6years.

I shudder at what Disneyland will look like if SW:GE only does Hogsmeade USH numbers. God forbid it approaches Hogsmeade IoA numbers as I think that would break Disneyland.

Last edited:
From I hear down the grapevine, I know for sure that Potter is performing at a level the execs are happy with. When it opened, it wasn't what they expected, but it eventually put them in a place that they deem successful. There are two reasons why Potter "underperformed":

1) They waited too long. It had been six years since Hogsmeade opened in Orlando. By then all of the hype to see "Harry Potter World" had people pent up enough to fly out to Florida to see it or watch it on YouTube.

2) They screwed over the AP base. I even heard talk of them wanting to remove APs altogether! They purposely weeded out their AP base by removing parking privileges out of fear of overcrowding. When FJ was a walk on later on grand opening day, guess who they crawled back to?

If number two was not an issue, I could easily see it being a bit more successful.

I agree. For several people I know, WWoHP is putting USH on the map for them. I believe whatever new Potter expansion they add will be successful. I think they have learned their lesson from the AP disaster of 2016.

At this point, if they bring DA over here exactly the way it is, that would be pointless as that land will be a decade old by the time it opens. It will be way old news by then with GE, SNW, and Marvel open. They need to add to it to make it appealing to people. I want to see it come, but I would rather not have it the way it is. We have too many 3D rides as is now.
Beat me to it. Didn’t mean to copy you lol.

And I say scrap DA and instead do Ministry of Magic. Orlando wants to drag its feet so screw it, take it and go. Massive building with shops, a show, and a ridiculous exciting dark ride with interactive wand elements. DONE

Last edited:
Reactions: alias8703
So, sorry to continue on but, IoA actually saw roughly just over a 2 million visitor increase from 2009(pre Potter) to 2011(post Potter) and Hogsmeade opened in June of 2010.

So in 1 year and 6 months IofA increased about 2 million and in 1 and 8 months USH increased by about 2 million.

I just saw this and had to report as I reiterate what the HELL?

Anyways I’ll move on. Excited for the future!!!

I wonder if Hollywood getting Nintendo before Orlando will cause Potter Level opening crowds on the west coast.

I think it will be a massive success. Why? It appeals to multiple generations and the properties are evergreen.

The real question that nobody seems to know is if SNW will only have MK or include DK as well.

@Al2020 Hate to keep asking you stuff, but do you know if SNW will include DK?

Reactions: Al2020
I will be bold and say by 2022 Disneyland(Walt’s true home) will be the most popular park, in attendance, in the world and Universal Studios Hollywood(the true studios park) will be the most popular park Universal has in the states and be gaining ground on Japan, in spite of its space limitations.

Park 3 Disney and park 2 Universal will be almost become necessities.

A change to theme park supremacy is coming and SoCal wants it’s crown back

Wishful thinking, maybe, as I do prefer California for vacations. No offense to Orlando lots of love but yeah it’s Caliifornia.

I mean, never doubt what OLC and WDI have conjured up with Tokyo Disney Resort. Those two parks, in a similar way to how big Universal Osaka is, are bringing in more crowds.

__

To talk about the Lower Lot Expansion, what I would pay attention too..is what happens, in-between the time of development of SNW and Pets, in the cluster to the right of Transformers. Specifically, as @Chris said, Soundstages 33-36.

Reactions: alias8703
I will be bold and say by 2022 Disneyland(Walt’s true home) will be the most popular park, in attendance, in the world and Universal Studios Hollywood(the true studios park) will be the most popular park Universal has in the states and be gaining ground on Japan, in spite of its space limitations.

Park 3 Disney and park 2 Universal will be almost become necessities.

A change to theme park supremacy is coming and SoCal wants it’s crown back

Wishful thinking, maybe, as I do prefer California for vacations. No offense to Orlando lots of love but yeah it’s Caliifornia.

Disneyland will be the most attended park no doubt, but not sure about USH. USF with its events and possible Pokemon land will keep it at as Uni's flagship domestic park.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Disneyland will be the most attended park no doubt, but not sure about USH. USF with its events and possible Pokemon land will keep it at as Uni's flagship domestic park.
You may be right but let me throw this out....

In 2017 USF attendance was just over 10 mil
USH attendance just over 9mil

2016 USF attendance a couple thousand short of 10 million
USH attendance just over 8 mil

2015 USF attendance almost 9.6 mil
USH attendance just over 7mil

As you see the gap has closed tremendously since the boy wizard took up shop in Hollywood. Now add on this years additions with Florida and F&F Supercharged, people dislike and see as a downgrade, vs Hollywood’s Dreamworks Theater, well regarded and seen as an upgrade for the park but nothing big. Hollywood probably closes the gap very slightly.

2019 we get Jurassic World vs a Bourne? stunt show(holding out hope for a motion theater concept). Hollywood should greatly close the gap.

2020 Hollywood gets SLOP and Orlando has nothing(as of now of course). To early to call but Hollywood is holding the edge.

2021 Hollywood gets SNW:Mario and Orlando has nothing(as of now). To early to call but anything short of Pokémon and yeah I think Hollywood takes the throne with ease. Pokémon would make it interesting though.

Just thoughts of course it is a fun topic to discuss should create a new thread sorry to take off topic.

You may be right but let me throw this out....

In 2017 USF attendance was just over 10 mil
USH attendance just over 9mil

2016 USF attendance a couple thousand short of 10 million
USH attendance just over 8 mil

2015 USF attendance almost 9.6 mil
USH attendance just over 7mil

As you see the gap has closed tremendously since the boy wizard took up shop in Hollywood. Now add on this years additions with Florida and F&F Supercharged, people dislike and see as a downgrade, vs Hollywood’s Dreamworks Theater, well regarded and seen as an upgrade for the park but nothing big. Hollywood probably closes the gap very slightly.

2019 we get Jurassic World vs a Bourne? stunt show(holding out hope for a motion theater concept). Hollywood should greatly close the gap.

2020 Hollywood gets SLOP and Orlando has nothing(as of now of course). To early to call but Hollywood is holding the edge.

2021 Hollywood gets SNW:Mario and Orlando has nothing(as of now). To early to call but anything short of Pokémon and yeah I think Hollywood takes the throne with ease. Pokémon would make it interesting though.

Just thoughts of course it is a fun topic to discuss should create a new thread sorry to take off topic.

You have to remember that USF is a part of an entire resort which is currently in the midst of a large expansion. The same people will visit IOA next year for the new Potter coaster will also check out USF (at least a good chunk of them). Yes, USH has gotten the better additions but when you have a brand new value resort opening next year that's more people coming in.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I mean, the timeline as it seems right now, including rumors..

2019: UOR - Bourne (USF), Potter Coaster (IOA)/ USH - Jurassic World/USJ - Hogwarts Projection Show, Peacock Theater
2020: USH - Secret Life of Pets, Baker Street Re-Theme/USJ - Super Nintendo World
2021: USH - Super Nintendo World

Universal Orlando still has the question on Kidzone, if that closes by the end of the year for Pokemon, Jurassic Park at IOA, and Volcano Bay in the realm of discussion. And I'm including Osaka, because of the attendance figures that the Japanese park gets (which, is actually crazy).

Hollywood will gain more and more attendance. And if anything, Pets or Nintendo will push it to that mark, perhaps sooner. But I do think we should not be so optimistic.

Once they hit the 10M mark, that's going to be the real question, on what they do going forward for the property.

Reactions: Magic-Man
You have to remember that USF is a part of an entire resort which is currently in the midst of a large expansion. The same people will visit IOA next year for the new Potter coaster will also check out USF (at least a good chunk of them). Yes, USH has gotten the better additions but when you have a brand new value resort opening next year that's more people coming in.
I know that USF belongs to Universal Studios Orlando Resort as a whole. I spent 8 days there last October and stayed at CBBR, adored the 50’s theme. Loved everything and every second there: IoA, USF, VB, Toothsome, Cowfish, Mythos, Hollywood Drive-In Golf, Galaxy Bowl, and let’s not forget HHN.

I was just discussing USF as it the most attended park of the 2 currently there is all.

I’m excited for the future everywhere just interesting to see as a shift may be coming is all.