Magic Kingdom (General Discussion) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Kingdom (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Can I just say... I wish there was this much uproar and controversy when they added Jack Sparrow to the ride. That's when the ride went from being a "product of its time" or a "classic attraction" to what it is now, a living piece of art that (apparently) must be updated on a regular basis. If they modernize part of it, the original parts start to show their age by comparison, and I am not talking about the tech or effects. I mean the story.

Pirates was always clearly a tongue and cheek silly version of a time period, (the way Mansion pokes fun at death without being too serious.) But when you bring in a serious element like Barbosa, Davy Jones, or Sparrow, who aren't as cartoony as the original Marc Davis characters, (like guy trying to steal too many hats,) it becomes a muddled hodgepodge where it's hard to know which parts should be viewed as realistic and which parts are cartoony.

This guy is hilarious!
pirates-of-the-caribbean-clipart-marc-davis-1.jpg

Jack! Why are you letting them drown that poor man! Aren't you going to help him?
iwosidvbvj8z8bcatwcb.jpg

Reactions: Clive
My only concern with the Pirates change is that they're fiddling around with one of the most iconic moments from the ride, featuring some of the most iconic dialogue from the ride.

Obviously I've only seen the new scene in French, which I don't speak, so I can't pass judgment on the new version until Magic Kingdom's opens, but I'm highly skeptical the new iteration will ever be considered as iconic as what it's replacing. It may be a perfectly fine and innocuous scene, but it has pretty big boots to fill.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Each change that has been made removes the climax of the "gag" of the scene. The original pirates-chasing-girls leads into the joke about the woman chasing the pirate with a broom. Payoff is gone now. The Auction scene was to joke about the redhead compared to the other "brides".... :(

Goodness. Just why.

Y'know, I tried finding some way to make fun of the fact that this is a thing, and I sincerely tried, but I can't find anything.

However, I did find anger and disappointment. Now imagine if the pavement is really hot on a summer day, and imagine it hitting the thing being used for the baby race.

...Yeah, I don't see that lasting at all.