Magic Kingdom's Crowding Issues? | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Kingdom's Crowding Issues?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ash

Mar 10, 2013
So, I've heard lots recently that MK has crowding issues.
We visited this year in what was supposedly a slow season and the place was still packed... 1hr for pirates and Haunted Mansion which have previously been walk ons for us.

I was wondering what is causing it?
I've heard the official word is "it's getting more and more popular" but is it? It hasn't drastically changed or added an eticket in years... So if it's that... Why?

I've also heard people on podcasts saying this is BS and it's not getting more popular.... So if it isn't that... What is causing congestion and long lines?

1) Fastpass+ pushes standbye lines for attractions that shouldn't have FP out into the streets deterring people from getting into line.

2) MK does not have enough attractions to handle the amount of people it gets every day.

3) MK does not have enough restaurants to handle the people it gets everyday.

Well I can say I was there on Tuesday and it was DEAD. Almost everything was a walk on except Jungle Cruise (Have no clue why though). Even Splash and Thunder were walk ons and this was in the middle of the day, so not like it was parade or firework time. My friends said that Sunday was busier, but not much busier.

So the October normal slow season is still slow.

Is fast pass + fully operational now?

If the parks are going to always be as busy as our last visit they need to do something because that wasn't enjoyable at all.

So, I've heard lots recently that MK has crowding issues.
We visited this year in what was supposedly a slow season and the place was still packed... 1hr for pirates and Haunted Mansion which have previously been walk ons for us.

When exactly was it that you visited. I went in early September and even on special event nights (Night of Joy, Mickey's Halloween Party) I never saw waits on most attraction above 20 minutes, except Space Mountain right around the start of one of these events. I have also been every month this year except August and did not notice anything more crowded than any previous year (except at the Studios park during the Villains event, but that was a special case and not at the Magic Kingdom).

The long lines are because of FP+. Even SSE had a line out into the outside queue. And that was before F&W started. FP+ is really an operational nightmare. They are already adding staff at Guest Relations to handle the complaints.

I found out an interesting thing that might be causing the FP lines to be longer, causing the normal lines to be longer. It does have to do with FP+, but not because more FPs are being handed out. This issue should resolve itself once the system is working properly and employees are trained better. So hopefully this won't be an issue come later next year.

But as I said, I did not experience this during my trip this week, as all of the lines were very short, except Jungle Cruise (30 min). My friends they have seen the same short lines in all of the parks the whole time they have been here. They said, maybe a little longer (10 min) instead of walk on, but short.

I was there last Saturday and it was a madhouse. It makes me question bothering to go to WDW in the future.

This past weekend? If so, that is odd. Because my friends reported Sunday was not packed at all (walk on thru 20 min waits). Wonder if locals are going more? Because if you think about it locals go on Saturday way more than Sunday. But I would think locals would be at Epcot and not MK, but I guess if you are a local with a family you would go to MK.

We spent a day at MK and EPCOT on 9-15 and it was pretty packed. HM was 40 minutes, SM was 60 minutes, Splash was 50 minutes, TT was 75 minutes and Snorin' was 90 minutes. I didn't expect those sort of wait times based on the time of year. We have a lot of experience in visiting during the "slow" times and the waits were abnormally long for us.

I blame the evil FP+ for my experience. :saw: Luckily we won't have to worry about stepping foot anywhere near WDW for the foreseeable future. :cheers:

We went April 12th-26th universal and IOA were fine, seaworld was fine. MK had 100 min waits for space, 1hr for pirates and HM, 100 mins for splash.

At DHS we didn't see TOT or RnR under 60 mins the whole time and forget about toy story mm.

There were a lot of trips... I think it was seniors graduating maybe? Would that be the right time for those?
It was crowded, bottlenecks and people everywhere the weather was poor which dare I say it.... Made for one of the least enjoyable times I've ever had at the MK.

Hmmmm funny how a park that gets so much criticism on these board for “nothing new” still packs out even in low season while there friends down the road continue to build and build and yet they can only dream of the same visitor numbers.

Also it does amuses me the hate for fast pass which is a system that every guest can benefit from rather than just the privilege few that can afford to pay for queue jumping like some neighbour parks.

I understand why people don’t like fast pass plus, I can’t say I think it’s a winner myself for the general guest but will attempt to tackle a major problem for Disney in dwindling occupancy rates. That said I do look forward to the same people that are ripping it apart before they really have had a chance to iron out problems to do the same when Universal build all there 1000s of extra rooms and have a similar problem.

Posting this for balance that’s all

Reactions: TylerDurden
Hmmmm funny how a park that gets so much criticism on these board for “nothing new” still packs out even in low season while there friends down the road continue to build and build and yet they can only dream of the same visitor numbers.

Also it does amuses me the hate for fast pass which is a system that every guest can benefit from rather than just the privilege few that can afford to pay for queue jumping like some neighbour parks.

I understand why people don’t like fast pass plus, I can’t say I think it’s a winner myself for the general guest but will attempt to tackle a major problem for Disney in dwindling occupancy rates. That said I do look forward to the same people that are ripping it apart before they really have had a chance to iron out problems to do the same when Universal build all there 1000s of extra rooms and have a similar problem.

LOL. Of course there is bias here, but thats why we are all mostly here. We are Universal fans over Disney fans.

LOL. Of course there is bias here, but thats why we are all mostly here. We are Universal fans over Disney fans.

Yes I know and thats why I love this site and I think Universal is doing an amazing job but just like to sometime re-address the bias a tab. But its nice for someone to actual admit there is a bias lol

Just as much as there is a bias for Disney over Universal on a lot of other boards. It's human nature.

Doesn't really add to the discussion on this particular topic though does it?

I haven't been to magic kingdom in a while with out seeing atleast a 30 minute wait for Space Mountain... It might just be that I don't go much any more.

I'll be staying on site this Mon/Tues. We already have our FP+ for those days which has only one real benefit to us as AP holders- we get to ride TSM for the first time in years! :p

Just for the hell of it, I went onto the site today and managed to get FP+ for MK on Wednesday, despite the fact that our reservation is only through Tuesday. It also seemed like I could book FP+ for any other days I wanted. Maybe this is just because we're considered beta testers but giving all AP's that stay on site free reign to FP+ could be causing issues. Ex. I wont be there Wed but I could forget to cancel our FP+'s in the system.

Doesn't really add to the discussion on this particular topic though does it?

It adds more to the discussion than this post...

Disney still does things right. The bashing can be overbearing. Sure, they've fallen behind and Universal is kicking butt. But this thread kinda proves that Disney isn't going anywhere anytime soon. As bad as so many people here make Disney out to be, it's clear that the general public still enjoys it and isn't overcome with negativity toward it.

People will go to the MK probably always. It's the oldest of the big theme parks in Orlando, and it's been a staple for visitors for decades. Where I see Disney slipping up the other three parks. If Universal keeps stepping up their game and WDW doesn't do much to the other gates, they are going to slip.