Magic Kingdom's Crowding Issues? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Kingdom's Crowding Issues?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also it does amuses me the hate for fast pass which is a system that every guest can benefit from rather than just the privilege few that can afford to pay for queue jumping like some neighbour parks.

Don't particularly care for any Fastpass system, but if you're going to have one, the fewer people who use it the better. Also, while it's no longer an issue after this week, the GACs--functional equivalent of a Fastpass--also drove up lines. Why Disney was forced to adopt the Universal model. And, as Jungle Skip said, not enough rides, not enough restaurants. Nor were the walkways designed for double-wide strollers and ECVs. There's a multitude of reasons why MK is crowded, but it's not necessarily "there's more guests."

It adds more to the discussion than this post...

Disney still does things right. The bashing can be overbearing. Sure, they've fallen behind and Universal is kicking butt. But this thread kinda proves that Disney isn't going anywhere anytime soon. As bad as so many people here make Disney out to be, it's clear that the general public still enjoys it and isn't overcome with negativity toward it.

There is way too much competition on these boards for me to handle. We know Disney isn't going anywhere.... Everyone knows that.

I'll be staying on site this Mon/Tues. We already have our FP+ for those days which has only one real benefit to us as AP holders- we get to ride TSM for the first time in years! :p

Just for the hell of it, I went onto the site today and managed to get FP+ for MK on Wednesday, despite the fact that our reservation is only through Tuesday. It also seemed like I could book FP+ for any other days I wanted. Maybe this is just because we're considered beta testers but giving all AP's that stay on site free reign to FP+ could be causing issues. Ex. I wont be there Wed but I could forget to cancel our FP+'s in the system.

Actually when the system goes live, AP holders will be able to get FP+ whenever they want. We won't have limits based on days only staying at the hotel. We will be able to get a FP+ for any day. It is the only way the system will work, since AP holders normally don't stay on property. They are hoping the majority of people won't book a FP unless they plan to actually use it.

As for the whole Disney thing. I have said for a long time Disney still gets a ton of people to go to their park because of their name. This is not going to change for a long time, just like Uni sometimes doesn't get people because of various reasons (some still think it is "lame" because they haven't been there in years, some people think it is too much a thrill park, some people don't think it is good for young kids, etc). It is going to take years for these perceptions to change which is why Disney has been so slow to respond to Uni. Because they haven't fully felt the impact, BUT they are in some ways starting to feel it. They are starting to fill their hotels less and spending in some of the parks is not where they want it. They also don't have the best reporting, which is hiding the problem. They have a project going to fix this issue too.

The issue is that by the time Disney figures it out, it is going to be too late, and there are going to be years where AK and Studios attendance is going to be below Uni's parks. That will be the huge wake up call and when that happens it will be years before that trend is reversed. But I don't think for a minute Uni's attendance can be above MK or Epcot and I imagine most people (even those that slam Disney) believe Uni will not beat MK and Epcot numbers.

Last edited:
It is going to take years for these perceptions to change which is why Disney has been so slow to respond to Uni. Because they haven't fully felt the impact, BUT they are in some ways starting to feel it. They are starting to fill their hotels less and spending in some of the parks is not where they want it. They also don't have the best reporting, which is hiding the problem. They have a project going to fix this issue too.

The issue is that by the time Disney figures it out, it is going to be too late, and there are going to be years where AK and Studios attendance is going to be below Uni's parks. That will be the huge wake up call and when that happens it will be years before that trend is reversed. But I don't think for a minute Uni's attendance can be above MK or Epcot and I imagine most people (even those that slam Disney) believe Uni will beat MK and Epcot numbers.

I'm not sure what statistics you're referencing, but if hotel attendance was down I highly doubt they'd be pushing DVC construction so heavily. In fact, hotels are one of the only things Disney does right nowadays. As far as their theme park attendance compared to Disney, I absolutely agree with you that Universal's strategy is solid and it will take people away....but it's physically impossible for Universal to beat the much-larger Disney parks in attendance. Even if they all held the same amount of people, I think it'll take a lottttt longer for Universal to surpass MK and Epcot than you're implying, unless you think it's honestly going to take Disney a couple decades to wake up. The way I see it, even Disneyland hit a slump. Bad management comes and goes, and I'm sure that Disney will get the kick in the pants they need before the entire Orlando tourism market shifts.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a multitude of reasons why MK is crowded, but it's not necessarily "there's more guests."

It is the number 1 most attended theme park in the world, though. Isn't it one of the top tourist destinations in the world, behind the Eiffel Tower?

I'm not sure what statistics you're referencing, but if hotel attendance was down I highly doubt they'd be pushing DVC construction so heavily. In fact, hotels are one of the only things Disney does right nowadays. As far as their theme park attendance compared to Disney, I absolutely agree with you that Universal's strategy is solid and it will take people away....but it's physically impossible for Universal to beat the much-larger Disney parks in attendance. Even if they all held the same amount of people, I think it'll take a lottttt longer for Universal to surpass MK and Epcot than you're implying, unless you think it's honestly going to take Disney a couple decades to wake up. The way I see it, even Disneyland hit a slump. Bad management comes and goes, and I'm sure that Disney will get the kick in the pants they need before the entire Orlando tourism market shifts.

When in my post did I say that Uni attendance would surpass MK and Epcot? In fact I specifically said I don't think this will happen and even most Disney bashers don't think this. What I said is it will surpass AK and Studios. Which are half day parks like Uni parks and therefore VERY possible.

As for hotels, they are converting to DVC because DVC is very popular and they are able to sell DVC right now. Timeshares have a certain niche in the hotel market and Disney wants more of a piece of that in Orlando. But some higher end regular hotels are not hitting their targets like Disney would like them to.

Reactions: TylerDurden
When in my post did I say that Uni attendance would surpass MK and Epcot? In fact I specifically said I don't think this will happen and even most Disney bashers don't think this. What I said is it will surpass AK and Studios. Which are half day parks like Uni parks and therefore VERY possible.

Didn't see the word "don't" in your post---just a misunderstanding my bad.

I'm not sure what statistics you're referencing, but if hotel attendance was down I highly doubt they'd be pushing DVC construction so heavily. In fact, hotels are one of the only things Disney does right nowadays.

Very reliable source said last month bookings at a monorail resort were running mid-30s% during the week (tho admittedly jumping to 90% on the weekends).

If WDW did hotels right, they wouldn't need to offer free dining and other gimmicks to fill them.

I went to the Magic Kingdom this morning. We got there for very shortly after park opening and it was really quiet, BUT come 11am when we were leaving, Main Street was HEAVING. The entrance plaza & bag check was heaving and the queue for the boat (cause of suspended monorail services) was ridiculous.

I'm glad we went early and left mid morning! (We had to cause we're going home today)

I don't really understand how FastPass+ is to blame here, especially before it's been fully rolled out. There's also a lack of people using them. You're going to have to be a lot more savvy than sticking your ticket in a machine to use it.

This is obviously the lack of attractions to serve the millions of visitors hitting the park each year. I still don't get how New Fantasyland was supposed to be the big fix. An omnimover, fully booked restaurant, and two meet and greet experiences are supposed to do what exactly?

Last edited:
I found out an interesting thing that might be causing the FP lines to be longer, causing the normal lines to be longer. It does have to do with FP+, but not because more FPs are being handed out. This issue should resolve itself once the system is working properly and employees are trained better. So hopefully this won't be an issue come later next year.

What was it that you found out? :lol:

Honestly as far as I can remember Magic Kingdom has always had large crowds, even going as a kid I remember long lines all the time, even years before FP.

I used FP+ for the best part of two weeks, we found that it only caused us delays at the entrance as people were generally too idiotic to know how to use it correctly.

We got called "Pros" at using the magic bands a few times... seriously... they're piss easy to use!

I'm not sure what statistics you're referencing, but if hotel attendance was down I highly doubt they'd be pushing DVC construction so heavily.

I may be wrong, but isn't DVC almost guaranteed to always be bringing in money whether there is someone staying or not. Granted they wouldn't be getting the spending on top of the room being occupied, but they are still going to make money on the room itself. Another benefit of the DVC rooms is that they don't have as high of costs for housekeeping.

I used FP+ for the best part of two weeks, we found that it only caused us delays at the entrance as people were generally too idiotic to know how to use it correctly.

We got called "Pros" at using the magic bands a few times... seriously... they're piss easy to use!

You can thank the American Education system for that. Some real interesting folks take their clan to Orlando for vacation.

You can thank the American Education system for that. Some real interesting folks take their clan to Orlando for vacation.

Yes and no. Many times it is foreign guests because of the language barrier. Also, it is not the swiping of the band that is the issue, it is the website. Some people have issues getting their reservation number to go in properly. My one friends are pretty smart (master degrees good high paying jobs, etc) and they never could get the FP+ to work properly. It is also malfunction with the bands themselves. My other friend while I will admit her husband is not the brightest bulb in the bunch, they have done several test runs for Disney and still they sat outside the gate for 45 minutes this past weekend because no one could get his band working. Lots of reasons for the issues.

Yes and no on the DVC, while they make money on it no matter what, if someone decides to not pay the yearly fees it is like someone deciding to not take a vacation that year. Yes, they would lose the DVC forever, but without someone to buy it again (which since they always have open DVC points, this would not bring in new customers) they do not make money on that unit. But there is a way higher chance of someone returning every year with DVC points. Also, like someone else said, they save on housekeeping. DVC is a huge win for Disney and I am surprised it took them so long to join the bandwagon since there was so many timeshares already in Orlando.

What was it that you found out? :lol:

Honestly as far as I can remember Magic Kingdom has always had large crowds, even going as a kid I remember long lines all the time, even years before FP.

Troublemaker :lol:

I do agree with you. I always said MK really doesn't have a dead period like some of the other parks. And if you hit it on the wrong day (Monday is very busy) then it can be worse. I have not seen it busier than normal myself, but I have not been going as much as I normally do either.

Last edited:
^Totally agree and all good points Izzy. I probably should have added an :lol: to my stab at the American Education system to save you some trouble :lol:

The reason I ask really is I've heard so many people say that it's always crowded now.
Our last visit was at a time of year I've visited many times before when it has always been fine but it was still real busy.. Both times we visited MK! So much so I asked a CM what was going on and they said its busy all year round now. It's also not like my visit before this was 1989 it was 2011.

The reason I ask really is I've heard so many people say that it's always crowded now.
Our last visit was at a time of year I've visited many times before when it has always been fine but it was still real busy.. Both times we visited MK! So much so I asked a CM what was going on and they said its busy all year round now.

Its used to be the parks had slower times and still do to some degree but seems more and more people are catching on to those quieter times and naturally they aren't so quiet anymore :lol:

Maybe lol, I guess it's pot luck sometimes... We visited on Easter Sunday 2011... MK was dead. Walked on everything.