Man Injured On Harry Potter Roller Coaster | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Man Injured On Harry Potter Roller Coaster

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My best wishes to him. As to what hit him anything in the eye at that speed would hurt. I ride my bike at about 14mph and I've gotten a bug in the eye and it burns really bad. Up that speed and I can see how it could do serious damage.

I had a moth the size of a honda civic hit my door column with the window down going 70 MPH and it sounded like a gunshot, I am serious I always crashed in the process. The inside of the truck looked like a crime scene. There were guts every where and I even had a leg stuck to my ear. I bet it was a bug as I can see how a large one at that speed could do some damage. I hope he is ok though.

Sure it could have if it was something on someone's personage that was loose in the oncoming vehicle. An object staying in motion concept flinging right to the guy. We probably will never know what happened but something as simple as a toothpick, coin or who knows what somewhere on someone could of flung right to the poor guy's eye.

Sorry dude but this just isn't possible unless the trains were VERY poorly timed. The fact that he was in the front row is important. He would have already been going up through the loop or whatever is after that straight section by the time anything from the other train could have flown toward his (which is a distance of about 30 feet I'd estimate). It couldn't have been something somebody on the other train threw at him too. If it is something that came off a train, the most likely scenario is that it came from HIS train. And if it came from his train, the only possible scenario I can think of, again given that he was in the front row, is that he or someone else in the front row tried to throw something at the OTHER train, the wind resistance slowed it down, and he ended up getting hit by it in the face. Then again, if that did happen, it wouldn't have hit him hard enough to blind him unless it was a sharp object. Maybe he was throwing darts? Hmmm...

Long story short, it probably was just a big bug that happened to hit him in the worst way possible. Really nothing to worry about. Just a freak occurrence, although I will appreciate my sunglasses a bit more next time I ride.

Sorry dude but this just isn't possible unless the trains were VERY poorly timed. The fact that he was in the front row is important. He would have already been going up through the loop or whatever is after that straight section by the time anything from the other train could have flown toward his (which is a distance of about 30 feet I'd estimate). It couldn't have been something somebody on the other train threw at him too. If it is something that came off a train, the most likely scenario is that it came from HIS train. And if it came from his train, the only possible scenario I can think of, again given that he was in the front row, is that he or someone else in the front row tried to throw something at the OTHER train, the wind resistance slowed it down, and he ended up getting hit by it in the face. Then again, if that did happen, it wouldn't have hit him hard enough to blind him unless it was a sharp object. Maybe he was throwing darts? Hmmm...

Long story short, it probably was just a big bug that happened to hit him in the worst way possible. Really nothing to worry about. Just a freak occurrence, although I will appreciate my sunglasses a bit more next time I ride.

Ahhh... me thinks you have watched mythbusters... as they have proven many of the previous theories of velocity to be untrue... fascinating stuff.

Very nice explaination! And here I am thinking it was a coin thrown from the other train. haha but yeah, perhaps a bug.

Not saying it was definitely something from another guest. But it could of been literally anything was my point. We will likely not know. If we do, it won't likely matter. Freak kind of occurrence indeed.

Ahhh... me thinks you have watched mythbusters... as they have proven many of the previous theories of velocity to be untrue... fascinating stuff.

Hah... haven't seen that episode. It just doesn't take much knowledge of physics and aerodynamics to understand that there's no way this came off of a train. :thumbs:

I wonder how this will all die down. Will Universal make a public apology or offer money to prevent the imminent lawsuit? Not trying to bash the guy at all, but we all know eventually that he/his family/his lawyer would sue for something. Though, as this thread has made clear, what happened was without a doubt a freak accident. It was something Universal never could have prevented. Can Universal be blamed for bugs and birds that fly around coasters?

Again, my deepest condolences to the guy and I pray he has a speedy recovery. :pray:

Last edited:
Can Universal be blamed for bugs and birds that fly around coasters?
Not sure. That's a touchy area. Hopefully the common human decency would not allowed them to be blamed for that. When Fabio got hit in the face by a goose on Apollo's Chariot, he didn't press charges. He just wanted something in place to prevent that from happening again. The park put up nets next to the water area, and sensors on the tracks that spray water across the pond before the train comes to startle anything there to make it move.

Freak occurrences can happen at any time on a coaster. It's unfortunate, and I wish the guy a full recovery. I wouldn't doubt however that some kind of lawsuit or settlement is sought after. Sadly, in this country you can sue someone over almost anything. Eventough Universal shouldn't be blamed, they will be.

Some people go to parks to find whatever is free. This guy hit the jackpot. Universal likely isn't at fault and I hope the man is ethical enough not to push the law past necessity.