Mardi Gras 2013 | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Mardi Gras 2013

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
One float ran out of beads by the time it got to us, I was surprised by that. It wasn't just this Saturday, I got 4 coins the time before that and 2 coins the time before that.

Running out of beads just means the people on the float didn't time it out well.

Before the Mardi Gras season starts some poor person gets the job of deciding how many beads to order. Most people assume they have a ton to give away the last night but they actually order a pretty specific way. Each float has a certain number of beads that will be loaded onto it each night (number of thrower postitions x however many beads each person gets). From there they add those numbers up and multiply by the number of parades. Each performer that carries them to hand out also has a set number per parade, add that in and you have your bead order. There is a little extra as they have to round up to the next pallet.

Running out of beads just means the people on the float didn't time it out well.

Before the Mardi Gras season starts some poor person gets the job of deciding how many beads to order. Most people assume they have a ton to give away the last night but they actually order a pretty specific way. Each float has a certain number of beads that will be loaded onto it each night (number of thrower postitions x however many beads each person gets). From there they add those numbers up and multiply by the number of parades. Each performer that carries them to hand out also has a set number per parade, add that in and you have your bead order. There is a little extra as they have to round up to the next pallet.

Oh, I have been on a float, I know it was them not spacing it out, which shocked me because it is pretty hard to not space it out right. Most floats end up with extra beads at the end.

I also know being a logistics/operations person (major/minor in college) that they wouldn't order it any other way than the way you described. What I was saying is that I thought they ordered more coins this year and there was more to hand out. Just seemed like this year in general coins were rather easy to get. Not sure if it was just the spots I ended up in, having kids vs. not having kids or what. But we came home every night with several and even handed them out to others that didn't get one because I don't need more than just one in each color. Heck, don't need the thousands of beads I have around my house either, but at least the kids love them and play with them :)

Problem being on a few nights, the final night included, more people were put on a lot of the floats than planned. I know for sure this was the case for at least 3 floats on closing night.

Problem being on a few nights, the final night included, more people were put on a lot of the floats than planned. I know for sure this was the case for at least 3 floats on closing night.

Well that would explain the running out of beads. More people, would need more beads. No more beads, mean they run out faster.

Two things, as indicated above, several nights the floats came in with beads left over (mostly because they had no-shows for the float spots). Also those floats have strict limits to the number of people on them for safety. Are you sure it wasn't that everyone showed up the last night?

Oh, I have been on a float, I know it was them not spacing it out, which shocked me because it is pretty hard to not space it out right. Most floats end up with extra beads at the end.

I also know being a logistics/operations person (major/minor in college) that they wouldn't order it any other way than the way you described. What I was saying is that I thought they ordered more coins this year and there was more to hand out. Just seemed like this year in general coins were rather easy to get. Not sure if it was just the spots I ended up in, having kids vs. not having kids or what. But we came home every night with several and even handed them out to others that didn't get one because I don't need more than just one in each color. Heck, don't need the thousands of beads I have around my house either, but at least the kids love them and play with them :)

I do believe they ordered more coins this year, one of those want to make every guest feel special things.

I do believe they ordered more coins this year, one of those want to make every guest feel special things.

I can see that, before the parade started this last time some guys came over and pulled some out of their pocket to give one to my son and one to my daughter. They also handed them out to some other kids too. At least Uni is seeing these little touches can go a long way.

This was my fourth or fifth time seeing the parade, and only my first time getting doubloons this year. First, I stood by the Monster's Cafe drink stand and got one. Then once the whole parade went by this spot, we ran to the Starbucks corner, at the end of the parade route, and got two more doubloons :smiley:

Here are some pictures from Mardi Gras closing night...

Big crowds!

All-American Rejects:

'Till next year!!

(You can see more of my pics from closing night HERE and HERE)

I was on the riverboat april 6, and noticed that the floats were moving slower the normal. My area of the float (4 people) were completely out of beads before we got to Starbucks. ..... slower equals more time to throw out beads......