Mardi Gras 2013 | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Mardi Gras 2013

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Meh... Disappointed again with the acts. They used to bring acts that I enjoyed, but the only 2 acts I'll be there for are Montgomery Gentry & Steve Miller Band. I'm not that big of a fan of the current wave of music & I hate Idol. Pat Benatar's show when she opened for REO Speedwagon in the summer concert series wasn't that good and I don't think I'll be seeing her at Mardi Gras. Still 2 Spots Avaliable and one of them is in the middle of Weird Al's Tour. Surprised to see EWF, Kool & The Gang, and KC not on the lineup this year.

This line-up will certainly draw the crowds to Uni.

I agree on the rock argument. The few rock bands coming are mostly pop-rock. Also, I'm surprised there aren't as many "oldies" this year as there have been in past events.

Solid, eclectic line-up of relevant bands (with a couple borderline legendary "oldies" acts). This isn't an ELO cover band or the least talented member of Jefferson Starship and his new girlfriend. I honestly don't know how people find fault with this schedule.

There's no rock because when was the last rock song relevant to the zeitgeist? And if there's a pop slant to the acts, that's because of the huge overlap between top 40 listeners and Universal's target demographic.

Rock is still a completely relevant and popular genre. 30 Seconds to Mars proved that a rock artist/band can draw crowds perfectly fine for Universal. And on another note, I'm a bit surprised in the lack of hip-hop acts as well, other than Pitbull who has already performed at the event. You can't tell me that rap isn't popular/top 40. As I've said, I'm very impressed by the lineup, just a bit disappointed in the lack of diversity.

using my first post to say that i really wish i was gonna be there to see Demi Lovato perform. She's actually amazing live unlike a lot of other pop acts.

Fairly impressive lineup, some really solid acts. Pitbull was actually an excellent performer at Grad Bash last year, so I assume he'll put on just as great of a show this year. I second the calls for more diversity in the acts, though I personally would prefer something more like David Guetta or Calvin Harris... big EDM/electropop names that would likely draw a sizable crowd.

Who wants to bet one of the "TBD" acts will end up being KC & The Sunshine Band? :lol:

Fairly impressive lineup, some really solid acts. Pitbull was actually an excellent performer at Grad Bash last year, so I assume he'll put on just as great of a show this year. I second the calls for more diversity in the acts, though I personally would prefer something more like David Guetta or Calvin Harris... big EDM/electropop names that would likely draw a sizable crowd.

Who wants to bet one of the "TBD" acts will end up being KC & The Sunshine Band? :lol:

If they can't lock down a bigger act then KC and the band will be in.

Wow, I'm pretty surprised by the decent lineup. I'd be interested in seeing Lifehouse, Boys Like Girls, or Matchbox Twenty. Of course, nothing will ever compare to my experience back in 2011 when I finally got to see 30 STM. :p

Boys Like Girls and Sean Kingston have played MG before, and I'm kind of surprised to see Kingston back, and REALLY surprised that KC isn't coming. I thought that was a Mardi Gras tradition. Excited to see Pitbull again-he played GradBash, I worked every concert, and loved every one of his shows. Very excited to see Pat Benatar again-I missed her last appearance, but I saw her way back in the early 80s when I was in college, and she was amazing. Doesn't she and Steve Miller count as rock?

And of course, as usual, I haven't heard of a lot of these acts, and some of those ones I have heard of, could not name a single song. Here's hoping I'm concert detail again this year.

Last edited:
We will more that likely see: Steve Miller, Matchbox 20 and Pat Benatar. O.k. lineup. Not great, just o.k.

Hopefully UO doesn't mess up Mardi Gras like they did HHN and the Holidays.

using my first post to say that i really wish i was gonna be there to see Demi Lovato perform. She's actually amazing live unlike a lot of other pop acts.

Welcome! :wave:

I'd love David Guetta, or Calvin Harris, or Deadmau5! That would be so much fun! :dance:

Lifehouse, SMB, Matchbox 20, and Pat Benatar are the four I hope to be seeing. I'm a little "meh" on the lineup, but I usually only go for three or four of the concerts each year anyway. Hopefully they pull in KC for one of the TBA dates, because that was one surprisingly good show last year. I'm crossing my fingers for either EWF or Chicago for the other date, and the other one of the two to get a spot in the summer series. Seeing both of them in 2010 was simply epic.

Parade route map:

iYMitaGGB2yoP.jpg

I had a great spot by Starbucks facing the lagoon when the parade would run down that direction. Will have to plan things differently now that I have little ones. Anyone known where my best bet would be for them, maybe an AP viewing section or something?