Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mardi Gras 2015

What does "rock" even mean anymore? In addition to Heart and Styx--both classic rock icons--you have AAR, about the clpsest thing to mainstream rock in the 00s, and the B-52s and BNL--both of which had crossover success with pop-tinged songs but I think would self-identify more with the "rock" label.

These all have to be Hard Rock/HoB level bands. Not so big they play stadiums, but not so small they can only headline The Social, either. I don't know many rock bands of the past decade that fit that bill. Part of living in a pop-centered world. Plus Universal is always going to go for the happier, pop sound because they want this to be a party.

I wasn't expecting Foo Fighters, but most of the acts lean toward the pop side of rock. Not that there is anything wrong it.

You do realize that the major artists aren't going to perform at a theme park, right?

they don't have to be major, top of the line Michael Jackson level acts. Just awesome ones that put on a killer show. There should be more weezer and less Trey Songz. Stuff people will actually want to come to see

Weezer wasn't exactly a packed house last year and Trey Songz has had more than a few songs on the radio. Personally I much prefer Weezer but what you are saying could easily and was easily said a few years ago when some nobodies named Flo Rida and Pitbull played it.

Weezer wasn't exactly a packed house last year and Trey Songz has had more than a few songs on the radio. Personally I much prefer Weezer but what you are saying could easily and was easily said a few years ago when some nobodies named Flo Rida and Pitbull played it.

But then again weezer was quality, a really good show with a following to back it up. Why not just cut down on the number of acts for like 5-8 really good ones? Universal could get the latest headliners and other classic bands if they didn't blow all their money off on nobodies, quality over quantity is always a good thing in my book

- - - Updated - - -

is TBD a normal thing? How long does it usually take for them to announce the TBD ones?

I want an actual surprise for the TBD this year, somebody that would be news worthy instead of "we got KC and the sunshine band!!!". I hope the Mardi gras lineup doesn't turn into that one SNL skit about the jugalo convention. "We have rat balls, gunt, mrs potato d**k and so much more!!!"

Last edited:
I hope to be going March 11-15. I've never been to a Mardis Gras before, but looking at the various youtube videos have me excited. But I have a couple of questions. 1. Do the rides shut down when the parade starts? 2. How do Mardis Gras days affect daytime crowds? 3. What kind of crowds will Styxx and American Authors bring?

This is not a bad line-up at all. All the current acts have had a Top 10 hit in the past year or two, then you have your classic acts.

Personally I'm excited for Olivia Newton and the 3 hour version of Lets Get Physical...

It would appear as if Yandel is a Spanish artist...did Universal have a Spanish artist last year or is this a new thing they are doing?

But then again weezer was quality, a really good show with a following to back it up. Why not just cut down on the number of acts for like 5-8 really good ones? Universal could get the latest headliners and other classic bands if they didn't blow all their money off on nobodies, quality over quantity is always a good thing in my book

Cole I'm not trying to sound combative but Why? Opinion on quality differs from person to person. Justin Bieber is a huge act (he's still a thing right?) that draws in huge numbers, but I would say I have no interest in seeing him. For me they have had some bands I like a lot especially recently: Weezer, 3 Doors Down, All American Rejects, Matchbox 20, 30 Seconds to Mars, etc.

Huge names are just not going to play there because there isn't enough money in it. Universal is only doing it to drum up some business on a generally low attended time frame as a free concert and maybe a thank you to AP holders. They can't handle any crowds bigger than some of these performers are bringing in. We did have a TBD last year that was someone you are praising, Weezer.

They usually do have 1 or 2 Spanish acts.

Typically the parks are pretty quiet until 5 or 6 when the people for the show start coming in, Finnegan's is generally pretty busy though.

I hope to be going March 11-15. I've never been to a Mardis Gras before, but looking at the various youtube videos have me excited. But I have a couple of questions. 1. Do the rides shut down when the parade starts? 2. How do Mardis Gras days affect daytime crowds? 3. What kind of crowds will Styxx and American Authors bring?

The rides don't shut down but take a note rides that are along the parade route will be a little crazy to get out. Due to people standing around for the parade. Aka transformers and mummy. Around 4/5 the Mardi Gras crowd starts to come in. Styxx will bring in medium size crowds. AA I have no clue.

If your going to see the parade. Stay around a area the parade comes twice. Be ready to grab some beads though people will get feisty once that starts. Once the parade ends. The concert starts.

Cole I'm not trying to sound combative but Why? Opinion on quality differs from person to person. Justin Bieber is a huge act (he's still a thing right?) that draws in huge numbers, but I would say I have no interest in seeing him. For me they have had some bands I like a lot especially recently: Weezer, 3 Doors Down, All American Rejects, Matchbox 20, 30 Seconds to Mars, etc.

Huge names are just not going to play there because there isn't enough money in it. Universal is only doing it to drum up some business on a generally low attended time frame as a free concert and maybe a thank you to AP holders. They can't handle any crowds bigger than some of these performers are bringing in. We did have a TBD last year that was someone you are praising, Weezer.

They usually do have 1 or 2 Spanish acts.

Typically the parks are pretty quiet until 5 or 6 when the people for the show start coming in, Finnegan's is generally pretty busy though.
You have a point but beiber would be a WAY bigger deal than anybody on this years list combined. Have one or two artists in every music genre and your good, everybody is happy and all tastes are fulfilled. I guess it's all opinion here but nobody really excites me here. Free concert or not I don't think I'd drive all the way up there to see them and that's all that matters in a event like this

The rides don't shut down but take a note rides that are along the parade route will be a little crazy to get out. Due to people standing around for the parade. Aka transformers and mummy. Around 4/5 the Mardi Gras crowd starts to come in. Styxx will bring in medium size crowds. AA I have no clue.

If your going to see the parade. Stay around a area the parade comes twice. Be ready to grab some beads though people will get feisty once that starts. Once the parade ends. The concert starts.

Agree. The hollywood area is great for the parade. Thats where we always watch it. You get to see the start and finish and have a chance to get even more beads.

Have one or two artists in every music genre and your good, everybody is happy and all tastes are fulfilled. I guess it's all opinion here but nobody really excites me here.

What mainstream genres are not represented this year? I see current pop, 80s rock, 90s rock, country, R&B, Latin ...