Max (Streaming Service) | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Max (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To chime in here, Netflix is not targeted for kids but if did not have them I would not have Netflix. I almost never watch Netflix but my kids have movies and shows they love. If you don't have kids content it makes is really easy to cancel for a few months when the adult doesn't see interesting things for themselves. I often pickup and cancel paramount + and peacock due to them lacking stuff that keeps much kids engaged.
Right, but that’s because Netflix’s point of differentiation is the breadth and variety. The screenshot a few posts up that highlights the difference in personas for HBO Max vs Discovery perfectly illustrates HBO Max’s strength, which is high-concept scripted series and blockbuster movies.

Netflix losing kids’ content=losing variety…a knock on their chief strength

HBO Max losing kids’ content=doesn’t affect adult-oriented content…no knock on their chief strength

Netflix losing kids’ content=losing variety…a knock on their chief strength

HBO Max losing kids’ content=doesn’t affect adult-oriented content…no knock on their chief strength
It might not be their strength but it narrows their consumer base which in turn hurts revenue. Magic mountain strength is thrill rides but you don't see them eliminating kids and family rides.
As sad as it sounds the only time I had HBO Max was when my kid wanted to see Tom and Jerry movie

Reactions: Nick and JS610
It might not be their strength but it narrows their consumer base which in turn hurts revenue. Magic mountain strength is thrill rides but you don't see them eliminating kids and family rides.
As sad as it sounds the only time I had HBO Max was when my kid wanted to see Tom and Jerry movie
Again, I’d have to think the number of people subscribing to HBO Max JUST for kid content is negligible. It’s not like Magic Mountain where choosing to buy a ticket is a commitment for your whole family for a whole day. If you like Game of Thrones you don’t have to force your kid to only watch everything else on HBO. And if you like Game of Thrones, most people aren’t going to cancel their sub just because they got rid of Sesame Street. Likewise, getting rid of Deadpool wouldn’t really hurt Disney+ because the adults who would be bummed out about that still have the main stuff (shows for their kids) that drew them there in the first place.

Its different from Netflix, Peacock, Paramount, etc. where the point is the variety and catalogue of existing content.

I have a hard time believing Horn is going to be the one coming up with the plan. I could see him overseeing it and hiring execs to do what is essentially Feige's job for years to come, but Horn is not that guy. I doubt he knows much of anything about comic books. He just knows how to put these plans (that other people come up with) into motion. They need to find a group of creatives who understand the DC Comics inside and out.

My understanding was that Horn helped Iger set up the basics of Marvel post merger. I need to do more research on the subject. And I don’t think he Will be the Feige. His role is essentially consultant.

My understanding was that Horn helped Iger set up the basics of Marvel post merger. I need to do more research on the subject. And I don’t think he Will be the Feige. His role is essentially consultant.
If Horn is there to help teach the people at WBD how to run DC as a well oiled machine like Horn did with Marvel when he was at Disney, then I can buy that. But he's still not the one to set up a 10-year plan. Feige and the creatives around him are the types of people who set up Marvel's 10-year plans, not the business people (obviously the money people have to approve it, but you get what i'm saying).

Reactions: Nico
If Horn is there to help teach the people at WBD how to run DC as a well oiled machine like Horn did with Marvel when he was at Disney, then I can buy that. But he's still not the one to set up a 10-year plan. Feige and the creatives around him are the types of people who set up Marvel's 10-year plans, not the business people (obviously the money people have to approve it, but you get what i'm saying).

That's kind of why I'm curious on Gunn right now.

After Vol. 3, he's supposed to shift directly to Peacemaker Season 2; but given all of the changes that are coming, maybe Horn might try to see if Gunn could spearhead DCCU going forward in a way Feige has done? Gunn has been very reliable so-far, and he's been able to produce two of the best pieces of content from DC at WB with The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.

Doesn't mean it'd all have to be Gunn style, but he's had the creative background of working directly with Marvel Studios for over a decade.

Reactions: Nick
That's kind of why I'm curious on Gunn right now.

After Vol. 3, he's supposed to shift directly to Peacemaker Season 2; but given all of the changes that are coming, maybe Horn might try to see if Gunn could spearhead DCCU going forward in a way Feige has done? Gunn has been very reliable so-far, and he's been able to produce two of the best pieces of content from DC at WB with The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.

Doesn't mean it'd all have to be Gunn style, but he's had the creative background of working directly with Marvel Studios for over a decade.
I think The Russos also have the pedigree to potentially fill that role. In my opinion a bit more than Gunn as i'm just not sure Gunn would care to have the position. The Russos are more and more turning into producers and they have the MCU background to help guide them a bit. This would just be different characters.

190C81F7-B7A6-453A-B9FF-7CA5D6B1D908.gifMan y’all remember the rumor about evil dead rise getting scrapped from HHN or something because the movie had been pushed back

I'm fairly sure that EVIL DEAD RISE is controlled by Sam Raimi's production company, with HBO Max involved primarily as distributor. It wouldn't seem to be in danger of being erased from existence. If HBO Max truly no longer wanted it (which is only hypothetical), I would fully expect Raimi and co. would be allowed to shop it around to other services.

Guys, HBO/HBO Max isn't cancelling everything. What they are doing is something that hurts now for some fans, but will pay in the long run. WBD is getting rid of shows that don't "pierce the zeitgeist" as they said the other day. Kids programming is being cut down.

And yes, there will be layoffs, but that layoffs are because they essentially have three services with tech/backend workers that are doing the same exact thing that their new combined service will do. Those three being HBO (Linear channel), HBO Max, and Discovery+. By combining the services and bringing the shrinking the backend staff from its current bloated state, they think they can save $3 Billion per YEAR.

Now, the one thing Zaslav did mention that relates potentially to Evil Dead Rise is that he made it clear that original films on HBO Max are never happening again because he can't monetize those. So, Evil Dead Rise will either be promoted to theatrical or sold off to another streamer such as Netflix. It won't get buried because WBD doesn't own Evil Dead, it's a franchise that's been around the block quite a bit. But not only that, as @belloq87 said, Raimi is one of the Production Companies on the film so even if WB drops it, it still is his film.

If I had to guess, i'd say some of their original films may get released to HBO Max, but most will get sold elsewhere or promoted to theaters if they think it has appeal (and if the Evil Dead movie is literally any good, I think that's a movie to put in theaters.

Infinity Train deserved better, hope it finds a app that wants an amazing show that anyone can watch.

Also some deals coming out for new subscribers

• Sad
Reactions: TheGentTrent
Absurd. The Belloni article about the weird Wise Guys greenlight was also a riot. Who are these clowns???
I just looked into Wise Guys and it sounds a hell of a lot like The Irishman. A Mobster crime drama where De Niro plays two characters. The fact that they are spending millions on this, a movie that will have very little appeal to the average theater-goer, but at the same time they are picking up every penny they can find when it comes to HBO Max is ridiculous.

Reactions: Clive

People have been working behind the scenes for days now trying to figure out what’s going on. A thousand phone calls, texts, and emails have been sent, but the problem is that the entirety of Warner and Discovery is undergoing a merger. This means that people who you would normally talk to have been fired, moved, or quit, so no one has any idea how to get the information they need right now. This is the same thing that happened in the early months of the merger with AT&T. Never cheer for a corporate merger, they help about 100 people and hurt thousands.

I was also assured late yesterday evening that the show is not being used for that tax write off loophole that is now so overwhelmingly associated with Batgirl and Scoob!: Holiday Haunt. Will this continue to be true? I also don’t know, but the end date for the tax write off is the beginning of September, so maybe that will give us a hint.

I’m told from various sources that this wasn’t supposed to happen until next week sometime so that Cartoon Network/HBOMax/etc could have time to tell all the show creators and artists what’s going on. That’s obviously not what happened, and now this is where that disorganization has gotten us. Cartoon Network warned them not to do this as it would hurt relationships with creators and talent, but they clearly do not care what any of this looks like publicly, much less about how we feel about it.

Reactions: Stonecoldfreak1
Multiple animated projects have been pulled from HBOMax, with one of them flat out cancelled. The projects include as thus:

• Driftwood (Cancelled)
  • Batman: Caped Crusader (Pulled from HBOMax, still in development but no release platform has been disclosed)
  • MERRY LITTLE BATMAN (Pulled from HBOMax, still in development but no release platform has been disclosed)
  • THE DAY THE EARTH BLEW UP: A LOONEY TUNES MOVIE (Pulled from HBOMax, still in development but no release platform has been disclosed)
  • BYE BYE BUNNY: A LOONEY TUNES MUSICAL (Pulled from HBOMax, still in development but no release platform has been disclosed)
  • DID I DO THAT TO THE HOLIDAYS: A STEVE URKEL STORY (Pulled from HBOMax, still in development but no release platform has been disclosed)
  • THE AMAZING WORLD OF GUMBALL: THE MOVIE (working title) (Pulled from HBOMax, still in development but no release platform has been disclosed)