Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS) | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For me, it's not about them spending too much per se, it's more that I don't think that amount gets translated directly to the impressiveness of the project.

If a company is going to spend $400m on a single attraction, I think we should be seeing every single cent of that in the attraction, especially knowing that Universal can deliver full (and bar-setting) lands for fractions of that price.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Nick
For me, it's not about them spending too much per se, it's more that I don't think that amount gets translated directly to the impressiveness of the project.

If a company is going to spend $400m on a single attraction, I think we should be seeing every single cent of that in the attraction, especially knowing that Universal can deliver full (and bar-setting) lands for fractions of that price.
I agree, although a hefty budget has gone into reworking the existing Energy building (I assume you are referring to GotG). For that ride, it would've been much more cost effective to demo and build a new structure, but at the same time, i'm also glad the existing shell of the building stayed as it at least has some unique-ness to it rather than just being a big box. For Tron, a lot of money has gone into reworking the ponds, train station, and bundling some tomorrowland overhaul costs in.

I get your point though.

Don't you think the overall budget affects ticket, food, merch, and hotel prices?
I think the prices of those things is going to go up no matter what at this point. Prices of food, merch, tickets, etc all basically mirror each other at both WDW and UOR. Hotels are cheaper at Universal though, even if only slightly. Quality is where the real difference is (in favor of Uni).

WDI is bloated in general, which is what then leads to bloated budgets. This said, I still don't care about theme park budgets as the money isn't mine.
Probably a lot of that has something to do with WDI having status as a separate standing division that has a profit/loss responsibility, which leads to inflated costs/charges for their own theme parks to maintain their (WDI) profit ratio for their own bonuses, salaries etc. Plus the separatism, like in many companies, leads to a private fiefdom mentality where budgets and personnel are inflated to add to the personal status of the top executives of the division, and more work is kept internal instead of sub contracting it out at lower rates.

I wish I knew! But when you look at what Universal spends to deliver a quality product like Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley, and then what Disney spends on things like Toy Story Land or the Guardians project, it's clear one company's budgets tend to be curiously bloated.
Apple and Oranges and reaching a little bit I understand your point. :bored:

The budget discussion is so ridiculous. It really matters for nothing.

And again. Every budget that gets thrown around isn’t even actually a confirmed fact. I just see them as conjecture. It doesn’t matter.

Still a rumor and I'd take a grain of salt due to the source but...

Woof

I think this is a VERY smart move, actually. One more ride, especially one that will be kid oriented, and drawing smaller kids anyway, won't make a huge difference in the storm that will be SWGE opening.

Plus it makes the ride actually marketable.

I would love to know if it is problem related or just new ride control related. This is supposedly a very heavy screen ride. Being postpone that long could be that the tech just doesn't work quite right. I wondered how it was going to work as they were saying it would have multiple cars with multiple viewing spots to the same screens. And the screens would be trying to simulate depth.

Definitely an interesting turn of events. And Disney is now 1 out of 3 at best for new ride openings this year. This is what happens when you rest on your laurels for years.

I honestly don't think Disney cares about how DHS will handle the capacity. They just want to get Galaxy Edge open ASAP to start getting a ROI. I mean they are opening the land without one of their major new E ticket attractions working...

Most of us reading could retire on blue milk sales alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: tankart150
@Marni1971 seems to back up this report over on Magic. It's ridiculous to think that this, ROTR, and Ratatouille might all end up opening in 2020.

I am quite displeased, and pondering cancelling my January trip.
Yes, Marni's been hinting about this on Magic for the past week, so this rumor from Blog Mickey is no surprise..... The big problem with new tech. Never know what issues are going to pop up....I recall how touchy Gringotts was it's first couple months, and all the trouble they were having with Kong's trackless systems during testing. Sometimes it may be best to stick with the old proven systems.....I actually was looking forward to Mickey & Minnie, even more than the Falcon Star Wars ride.

Last edited:
@Marni1971 seems to back up this report over on Magic. It's ridiculous to think that this, ROTR, and Ratatouille might all end up opening in 2020.

I am quite displeased, and pondering cancelling my January trip.

Yea I was planning on going to DHS in October to ride this and see the beginning of SWL. Now? Meh. I'd rather just spend a day at the pool or something

Yes, Marni's been hinting about this on Magic for the past week, so this rumor from Blog Mickey is no surprise..... The big problem with new tech. Never know what issues are going to pop up....I recall how touchy Gringotts was it's first couple months, and all the trouble they were having with Kong's trackless systems during testing. Sometimes it may be best to stick with the old proven systems.....I actually was looking forward to Mickey & Minnie, even more than the Falcon Star Wars ride.

I’m the same. I’d more intrigued by Mickey and Minnie than Smuggler’s Run. I just can’t get excited about SR but M&M has the potential to be something incredible.